head install but damn the driver header is a B!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default head install but damn the driver header is a B!

I cant seem to get it out the way!!! its interfering with me getting the bottom bolts off.... it doesnt move for anything it looks like its hitting the part where it handles the steering... (part of that connects to rack and pinon) ive tried unbolting my clamps to move them a bit but i cant seem to get them out... ive unloosen the back 2 bolts but the rest are hard!!! lol I guess this is what i get for doing my first head swap with not much mechanical exp. all input is helpful thx!
Old 01-27-2008 | 11:57 AM
Sex On Wheels

So what's going on? You cant get the header off or you cant move it enough to get to the bottom head bolts?

William
Old 01-27-2008 | 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant get far enough to get the bolts off.. and im trying to mess around with it... but nothing yet... ive been trying to do this since 1030 and nothing!
Old 01-27-2008 | 12:22 PM
Sex On Wheels

On my friends, we pulled the header completely loose and either raised the exhaust or lowered it with a jack as needed to get to the bolts. On mine, I disconnected the header from the y-pipes and was able to swing the header under the motor to make room to get the bolts. Good luck if I was closer I'd come to help!

William
Old 01-27-2008 | 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man I am in the same process. I've already gotten the heads off and am now taking the front off to get the cam out.

I was able to move the header far enough away. Make sure it isn't still connected to the Y or X pipe.
Old 01-27-2008 | 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

i just had to take my driver side head of a few weeks ago. like what was said before, make sure the header is disconnected from the y pipe. are you going off of ls1howto.com. if so, you shouldnt have any problems because thats what i used. and before doing my head swap, the furthest i had been in my engine was pulling the valve covers off. you gotta have a lot of patience. especially when preping the block to put the new heads on. make sure you have ALL debris and coolant out of the bolt holes or you will hydrolock the bolts in. good luck man.
Old 01-27-2008 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

what you do is have somebody underneath move around the header while you are looking at the bolt you want to take off. once he gets the header in a position that you can get the bolt off then go to take it off and once done. use same process for next bolt. header needs to be disconnected from ypipe. for bottom bolts its easiest if your friend pushes header up, and you guide it to a spot to where you can get the bolt...your going to need some extensions that way you can get the socket on the bolt. cuz the wrench will hit the header if you dont. just keep messing around with it, and you will eventually get it. theres no need to remove the steering knuckle. let me kno if you need anymore help.
Old 01-27-2008 | 06:50 PM
Launching!

stick a pry bar from the head and the header get the socket in first then add your extension (s) and go after it..
or method two go underneath the car with the steering wheel centered get an 11mm socket or wrench and loosen and remove that bolt the holds the steering shaft make sure you dont turn the wheel or put it back exactly as it was removed or your airbag wont work (sir coil will break) and loosen but dont remove the other 11mm bolt on the sam shaft up top near the brake master cylnder
if you need more help let me know
Old 01-27-2008 | 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt be to confident about using a pry bar against aluminum heads and block... theres no need for it anyways. i did it without it.
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:02 AM
Teching In

I had to just barely tap where my header and x-pipe connected with a hammer so that I could pry it loose.