Question for all the engineers in TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Microsoft, for example, issues an IQ test and looks for the proper certifications over a degree or any college experience. It seems more and more people will hire you as long as you can prove that you know your ****.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
10-Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
but it's not easy at all working half-full time while being a full time student.
But if you are already working in your field, you will have a huge leg up to all the people that don't work while in college or do internships. My bud did some intern work for Valero while going to UofH for his MIS degree & got a nice offer from Exxon & Valero & a few other companies when he graduated....he went from low $50k to low $80k within about a year & a half to 2 years.

edit: Now I will say I admire my friends work ethic, the guy's a very dedicated, hardworking fellow. I just wish I could be as motivated as he is, lol. I guess it's his youth & the fact that I'm a grumpy jaded bastage
Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I place degreed engineers coming out of the military. It's my job. I do it 55-60 hours a week.

1. The exact school does not matter, as long as it has a solid reputation.

2. Your degree (and your resume) can only get you the interview. Or in the case of those working with me, I get them the interview. How well you interview and how you present yourself will determine if you get an offer or not.

3. Companies do not always hire the "best qualified". They hire people they like. Go into your interview or site visit with energy, motivation, enthusiasm. You will get picked over the ivy leaguer who didn't bring their A-game that day.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I will agree with this.

In my department, no 2 engineers came from the same school. However, there are a bunch of us Aggies spread throughout the company. Kinda like warts. I don't think my school mattered nearly as much as my experience and my ability to get the job done.

As stated, school only really matters during football season, and even then, it's not even serious.

When I worked back in West Texas (Amarillo), there were TONS of Red Raiders out there. Go figure. I can't think of any here where I work in Waco.
I heard you assemble the beds that vibrate with a drop of 2 quarters.