Question for all the engineers in TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for all the engineers in TX

I'm currently a college freshman pursuing my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering at Texas Tech University. I'm not enjoying my time here as much as I want to and I've considered going back to Houston and just transferring to UH. Besides, I could save a load by living at home.

My question is, how important is the name of the university on a degree? For all the engineers holding higher positions at your companies, how much would it affect your decision to hire someone if they had an engineering degree from Texas Tech compared to a school such as UH?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

The honest truth is that usually it is who you know that decides where you get a job. If you are interviewed by someone that also graduated from your school, you have a better chance unless you do something terrible in your interview or just plain dumb to begin with. There are still some recruiters/HR people that still look at your gpr and the school you graduated from though. All of this is just from my experience though.
ME Texas A&M 09'
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I've interviewed and hired dozens of engineers in my career. Honestly, the school doesn't mean anything to me, or any other upper management people I've worked with. This might not be the case for every degree, but it is safe to say that anyone who survives college and actually gets an engineering degree has proven they have discipline and commitment. As long as the school you go to is an accredited university, it doesn't matter where it is.

What is more important is how you present yourself, and how well you interview. You could be a 4.0 gpa grad from the best of the best school, but if you come across as a social loser with no confidence, and have zero interviewing skills, your resume gets tossed as soon as you leave the interview. People that truly believe the university they attend makes a difference in their career potential are sadly mistaken, in the world of engineering.

Here at work, we have grads from numerous universities. The only time the college matters is during football season, when the smack talk comes around. Other than that, nobody cares where you went.

As for UH, I went there and got my BSME (grad '98) and it surely hasn't hurt my career.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I've interviewed and hired dozens of engineers in my career. Honestly, the school doesn't mean anything to me, or any other upper management people I've worked with. This might not be the case for every degree, but it is safe to say that anyone who survives college and actually gets an engineering degree has proven they have discipline and commitment. As long as the school you go to is an accredited university, it doesn't matter where it is.

What is more important is how you present yourself, and how well you interview. You could be a 4.0 gpa grad from the best of the best school, but if you come across as a social loser with no confidence, and have zero interviewing skills, your resume gets tossed as soon as you leave the interview. People that truly believe the university they attend makes a difference in their career potential are sadly mistaken, in the world of engineering.

Here at work, we have grads from numerous universities. The only time the college matters is during football season, when the smack talk comes around. Other than that, nobody cares where you went.

As for UH, I went there and got my BSME (grad '98) and it surely hasn't hurt my career.

I agree with nine.... college name does not matter.. **** the degree does not matter either if you are a loser....
A degree does not get you a job.. It helps get you better pay.
The person themselves get the job, the degree just helps with pay..IMO
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Partially correct quickblade.

The degree gets you an interview. Your experience and interview skills get you the job. Most engineering jobs require a degree just to get the interview, so it is still necessary.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
10-Second Club

I agree with the above. I'm just a mechanical designer right now, but with the tuition reimbursement here at Baker Oil Tools, I'm going back to school & letting them pay me back for it....I hate school, I've been plugging away here & there getting my pre-req's out of the way for quite a while now, lol....but I need to get my degree so I can get more $$. Like they said above, the person gets the job, the degree gets you the $$. It didn't matter as much in the past because I was hourly at other places. I would make as much if not more than some engineers because of over time....I no longer like the long hours, and I'm salary where I am now....so no O.T. so I have to get my degree to push my salary up.

UofH has a good engineering program according to our director, he recommended me go there & has been trying to goad me to go.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Talking

I agree 100%

BSME OSU
Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm about a year away from my BSME, I've gotten about 75% of my schooling done at a junior college, and gonna finish up the remaining at The University of Texas At Tyler. I was an all out aggie nerd forever, just really can't afford to go out there.

-Rick
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I definitely understand the financial aspect of it. I was going to CSU in Ft Collins Colorado, getting to snowboard all the time and enjoying myself. But after a couple years I realized how much it was costing and decided to return instate. I really like A&M and have no regrets about the transfer but I loved the winter sports also. Wherever you decide to go, you will only learn as much as you're willing to.

William
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response Tony and everyone. The replies in this thread alone has increased my consideration in heading back to Houston after this semester tenfold.

Cost is one of my reasons for going back. The other is simply because I just don't enjoy living in a smaller town in west Texas. I've been a big city kid my whole life. Other slightly ridiculous reasons include my dislike for the local government systems and authority in Lubbock.

My only reason for going to Tech to begin with was because of the thought I had that the name of university made a big difference. My family has had no affiliation with the school whatsoever, unlike the many students who attend here.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The degree gets the interview.
YOU get the job.
Hard work gets the $.

The college doesn't matter unless you've got some online degree from the University of Mentos or something.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
YOU get the job.
Hard work gets the $.

The college doesn't matter unless you've got some online degree from the University of Mentos or something.
But I don't work hard...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

If I was looking at hiring a Texas Tech grad vs University of Houston grad, It wouldn't make any difference to me either way because both are good schools engineering wise.

BSME - OU 1990
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ncnumber8
If I was looking at hiring a Texas Tech grad vs University of Houston grad, It wouldn't make any difference to me either way because both are good schools engineering wise.

BSME - OU 1990
Really? I've always had the idea in my mind the top engineering schools in Texas in order were:

1. UT Austin
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech
Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by newton
Really? I've always had the idea in my mind the top engineering schools in Texas in order were:

1. UT Austin
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech

I didn't say which school was best or in what order, I just said they were both 'good'. As nineball has stated, its not necessarily the school you went to, but the individual that makes the difference.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by newton

1. UT Austin
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech
The only ranking I would look at is the best engr program, value-wise; that being said most engr schools(all ABET accredited) in Texas are a great value if you're a resident.

You should go to the school that fits you best and you can afford.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ross-
YOU get the job.
Hard work gets the $.

I will agree with this.

In my department, no 2 engineers came from the same school. However, there are a bunch of us Aggies spread throughout the company. Kinda like warts. I don't think my school mattered nearly as much as my experience and my ability to get the job done.

As stated, school only really matters during football season, and even then, it's not even serious.

When I worked back in West Texas (Amarillo), there were TONS of Red Raiders out there. Go figure. I can't think of any here where I work in Waco.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with what has been said for the most part. I do know some people that do take the school into consideration. Its not a huge factor though.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I can't think of any here where I work in Waco.
Where do you work? I'm looking for an internship for the summer. BS Applied Math, minor in engineering at Baylor.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

im a civil engineer at berkeley...the way i see it is that come fall 2011 i should have nothing to worry about...but it's not easy at all working half-full time while being a full time student.