Harley Davidson Guru's?? You in here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
Its a standard with a rake and custom paint job (flat black)

worth more than 9500 for sure, but no more than about 13,500. depending on the buyer.

Mods on bikes are like mods on cars, not worth much when you resale. But Harleys DO keep their resale if you buy a big twin.

Sportsters dont keep their value because they are not sought after as much as the 88 and 96 CI Bigger bikes.

IMO dont buy a sporty if all you want in the end is a big twin
HD's used to hold their value. It is a buyers marker right now for HD's. Used ones are everywhere. Watch craigslist and see how many times you see the same bike for sale. A new soft tail is a little over 15k and has the 96 motor, six speed and a 200 series rear tire with a warranty. Start low on an offer price, you can always go up from there.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Something to compare to. 199 views and not one response. BTW I am not a HD hater, I have a 07 Road King and love it, and the apes are really comfy.

http://www.hdforums.com/m_2729540/tm.htm
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
Its a standard with a rake and custom paint job (flat black)

worth more than 9500 for sure, but no more than about 13,500. depending on the buyer.

Mods on bikes are like mods on cars, not worth much when you resale. But Harleys DO keep their resale if you buy a big twin.

Sportsters dont keep their value because they are not sought after as much as the 88 and 96 CI Bigger bikes.

IMO dont buy a sporty if all you want in the end is a big twin
I kinda heard it was the other way around. The sporty line tends to keep the resale value a little better then the big twins because of the smaller displacement engine and the aptitude for a larger demographic to jump on them and use them (i.e. beginners).

But who knows, thats what I heard but I never checked the black book on mine.

But I think the sporty is a very popular line of motorcycles. Hell, everywhere I look somebody is rolling around on a 1200.

In fact, I would probably entertain the idea of just switching up to a 1200 instead of a big twin just because I like the way I can throw the bike around. I'm just tired of topping out at what my friends bikes cruise at.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Be carefull of a bike thats been cut on. You need to be sure the job was done right. Other than engine mods and wide tire kits most other add ons dont up value much. I wouldnt pay more then 10 for that bike. There are some good deals on 06 nightrains out there right now. That will have the 88 inch motor with a 6 speed transmission. The 07 moved up to the 96 so the 06's have some good deals. Harley started to build the crap outa them so there not worth so much anymore when the dealer has a butt load on the show room floor.