AC Leak with Pics Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Leak with Pics Help Please

1998 Formula with 96k miles. The AC is leaking. It works fine when charged. I mean it blows frozen air. Nothing is making any noise or every has. So I put the dye in the system and it is pooling at the bottom of the compressor. It does not seem to be running down the sides that I can see or coming out any other place. It almost seems like it is coming from under the bracket. I have attached a photo that shows it....the green stuff is the leak just to clarify.

Suggestions and help would be much appreciated. I have only lived in texas for 3 years so I have never had to mess with the AC. But I have read the shop manual and the system does not seem that difficult.

Thanks
Gregg
Attached Thumbnails AC Leak with Pics Help Please-photo.jpg  
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by greggvh
1998 Formula with 96k miles. The AC is leaking. It works fine when charged. I mean it blows frozen air. Nothing is making any noise or every has. So I put the dye in the system and it is pooling at the bottom of the compressor. It does not seem to be running down the sides that I can see or coming out any other place. It almost seems like it is coming from under the bracket. I have attached a photo that shows it....the green stuff is the leak just to clarify.

Suggestions and help would be much appreciated. I have only lived in texas for 3 years so I have never had to mess with the AC. But I have read the shop manual and the system does not seem that difficult.

Thanks
Gregg
Its the compressor CASE that is leaking... The case has Orings that seal the front and the back of the compressor body...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
Its the compressor CASE that is leaking... The case has Orings that seal the front and the back of the compressor body...
Thanks for info.....

I hate to say it but in the shop manual and the parts guide it does not show the compressor coming apart. Is this something that is easy to do or should I take it to a shop along with my first born .

When I say easy from what I could tell taking the pulley and clutch of the front of the compressor looked like it took every special tool in the book so this would not be easy as I dont have all of the tools to do that...

Thanks
Gregg
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

no its just the 75 cent o ring on the back of the case. its a 15mm bolt. unbolt the whole compressor and take it offf and replace it
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

would this be where the hoses conect to the back? I could not see the back but there was no dye any of the item directly behind it. But I guess I ready have no choice to take and have vacumed out and then I can take it off and look at it....???
Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if its the front, it could also be cracked. But I would try the o-rings first. Vent the system, or recycle it. Otherwise, itll blow all in your face and if you inhale a breath of it, good bye for good. It stops your heart or something like that
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

it looks like the center ring. you may see if you can find someone that will help you out and use an acr2000 to pull a strong enough vacuum to pull the seal back into place. if it is that center seal replace the compressor.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
if its the front, it could also be cracked. But I would try the o-rings first. Vent the system, or recycle it. Otherwise, itll blow all in your face and if you inhale a breath of it, good bye for good. It stops your heart or something like that
that reminds me.........one time I was changing out a Nitrous bottle from my friends car to mine and he swore there was no pressure in the line. Well I was in the trunk wrenching on the line to get it off and all of a sudden I get a face full of cold nitrous. I swear I almost passed out and actually drooled a little bit. Probably not good but I felt like I was floating in the car on the way home. I think my friend might have caught a wiff of it too cuz he laughed more than I did. Good times.......and at least we used the medical grade stuff.