Which 50" Hdtv Under $1500???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The viewing angle on some of the older ones is a problem, I don't notice it at all with mine. Mine sits very high and I sit at an angle to it when I'm at my computer desk, looks just fine. Go to best buy and look at one from an angle and see if it will work. They usually have a few LED DLP Samsungs on display.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The viewing angle on some of the older ones is a problem, I don't notice it at all with mine. Mine sits very high and I sit at an angle to it when I'm at my computer desk, looks just fine. Go to best buy and look at one from an angle and see if it will work. They usually have a few LED DLP Samsungs on display.
The only reason I didnt buy the LED version was because the price to replace the bulb was not cost effective for the extra 400 in cost when the bulb was double that at the time.

As far as viewing angles I dont have that on mine. You can see it pretty much anywhere in my living room and Ive got a couch that sits off to the side directly next to it.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Teching In

just a heads up i got my self a 42in lcd samsung that was 1999.99 at the time.. IF i could do it again i would have went DLP.. Same picture quality (i even like it better then lcd/plasma) and alot better priced!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush
The only reason I didnt buy the LED version was because the price to replace the bulb was not cost effective for the extra 400 in cost when the bulb was double that at the time.

As far as viewing angles I dont have that on mine. You can see it pretty much anywhere in my living room and Ive got a couch that sits off to the side directly next to it.
You should never have to replace the LED DLP engine like the bulbs, another reason I bought mine. I thought the LED was a bit clearer with more defined colors, best buy had one set up right beside the same TV, but non-LED version. Once you get it home you'll never know the difference.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Klive
What is the difference in LCD and Plasma???
A lot. The technology is completely different. It depends on what you are gonna use it for and where you are gonna use it. Plasmas are better for low level lighting but worse for video games, projection tvs will appear dimmer than flat panel LCD. LCDs are more versatile I would think. If I were to buy one it would be an LCD. I still can't imagine myself spending over a 1000 bucks on a tv though...

Watch the Fry's add in the paper, they usually have really good sales.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
keep saving, i have a 46" Sharp Aquos, i love it.

i looked for months and compared and compared.

Vizio is junk, got a friend who just got one, now he hates it.
LG is also junk.
they have very very poor "black" levels (they look faded)

also a something you may not have considered, a surround sound system.
dont count on a flat panel LCD having great speakers.

hope this helps.
The Vizio 50 plasma is not junk. Some of Vizio's other models leave a lot to be desired but the 50" plasma is a great unit.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
You should never have to replace the LED DLP engine like the bulbs, another reason I bought mine. I thought the LED was a bit clearer with more defined colors, best buy had one set up right beside the same TV, but non-LED version. Once you get it home you'll never know the difference.
True it was...BUt once I calibrated my TV you couldnt get me take that LED home with me.

And average lifespan of either bulb was 4 years. Take it for what its worth. LED's do burn out.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
The Vizio 50 plasma is not junk. Some of Vizio's other models leave a lot to be desired but the 50" plasma is a great unit.
I beg to differ. I just calibrated one of those last weekend as a matter of fact and was very disappointed. But then again, it wasn't bad for what he paid for it. Just that I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a plasma when i've yet to see a screen outside of my brothers 120" projector look as good as my 56" Sammie DLP after calibration.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

how does the calibration work on these tvs howie?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush
I beg to differ. I just calibrated one of those last weekend as a matter of fact and was very disappointed. But then again, it wasn't bad for what he paid for it. Just that I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a plasma when i've yet to see a screen outside of my brothers 120" projector look as good as my 56" Sammie DLP after calibration.
So you agree or you don't agree. I have been very pleased with mine. For the money it's a great unit. Why does almost everyone brings up apples when he is looking for oranges. He asked for opinions on 50" flat panels that he can hang on the wall. I don't see you hanging a 56" DLP Samsung on the wall.