in-car revolver

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can own a handgun if you under 21 you just can't buy one. I'll have to double check that though.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by txhorns281
You 100% sure about that? I'd like to know for knowledge.

I guess how would one go about "owning" a handgun without purchasing it? Possibly by gift from a parent or such I suppose. Either way, the handgun couldn't be regitered in a minor's name, so technically he/she would not be the owner. In my mind, just b/c a minor has a handgun does not mean they own it or can legally use/carry/recreate with it. Certainly wouldn't want law enforcement to find a minor with a handgun. Dunno...
Guns aren't "registered" to anyone in Texas. Maybe in NJ or Commifornia or any of the other crap states that require registration of "assault weapons" or pistols, but not here. You should join a gun forum or two, they are just like ls1tech but pertaining to firearms. www.thehighroad.org, www.ar15.com, www.opencarry.org, www.nraila.org, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXB4Z
I believe you can own a handgun if you under 21 you just can't buy one. I'll have to double check that though.
That's exactly what I said, and I'm right. You can't buy one from an FFL dealer until you're 21, but can receive one as a gift or purchase one privately if you're under 21.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

TexasCHLForum.com, berettaforum.net, gunbroker.com

I dont like to leave my handgun in my vehicle if i am not in it. Id rather have it on me at all times. It would suck to have someone break in your car and steal your weapon and even worse to use it against you or others. It sounds like the thread starter wants to leave it there all the time.

Last edited by Dirty 30; 05-05-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=43

Notice it says 21 to purchase, 18 to own.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91Z28
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=43

Notice it says 21 to purchase, 18 to own.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
What's a good .38 or .357 revolver to live in a car? Picking a revolver because:

1. they go bang
2. bang hurts like hell on the wrong end
3. no hot shells flying out

I'll still have my CCW so let's leave that out

I'm most worried about the gunpowder blow-back and one-handed shot recoil. Get-away driving is easy, unless you have pirate vision with no depth perception and half of your field of vision is darkness.
i seriously hope you are kidding about leaving your gun which ill presume to be loaded as well in your car.....if you are not please find the nearest paper shredder and insert you chl. that is all
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by That1WhiteGuy
but you still have to be 21 to have the concealed hand gun in your car right? not 18? im 18 and my shotty stays in my car.. but would like to get something a little easier to get to
if your in the military you only have to be 18 to get your chl.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
x2. Why do you have to be 21 to purchase one?
b/c its only use is as a self defense weapon. and you dont have to be 21 to own a handgun. private sales have no specific age requirement just that you believe them to be of sound mind. however if you want to buy one from a shop you do have to 21. all this info should be in the pocket chl guide they gave you at your class. my book is from 06 and id like to get an 08 one if possible. the conceal carry in your car was formerly known as the safe travel law. but now thanks to florida we have the castle law woot. someone correct me i do believe if you dont have a chl and you carry in your car it has to be loaded and ready to go.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Now what's wrong with having a fully concealed handgun in my car at all times? That's exactly the reason this law is in effect. Practically speaking, if I don't leave it in my car I would have to unload and/or carry it with me EVERYWHERE. That only leaves one option for those w/o a CHL and the gun is still in the car.

I'm not planning on just leaving it on the dashboard when I go eat in a restaurant or over night if that is what you are referring to.

Its pretty simple really. If I'm in a place where my car is more likely to be stolen or burglarized, I would rather have it protecting my person. So its not likely to be stolen. But more practically speaking, how many illegal firearms are in the hands or criminals?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96ta
... someone correct me i do believe if you dont have a chl and you carry in your car it SHOULD be loaded and ready to go.
fixed unloaded weapons are just propaganda. Be American, use bullets.

You can still carry ammunition and firearm(s) separately. Texas Penal Code Section 46.02 was amended to include motor vehicles as property in which you may carry a loaded, concealed handgun and that you may protect it with reasonable force. It says you may NOT carry if "the handgun is in plain view; or [you] are engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic; prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01."
Old 05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Pimp

When it's in the car with you can it be concealed on you, or does it have to be just in the car somewhere?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _Zac
When it's in the car with you can it be concealed on you, or does it have to be just in the car somewhere?
It just has to be out of sight. It can be under your dash or seat, in your console, between your console and seat, between door and seat, under a shirt, etc. You can actually have it in your lap and under a towel or shirt when you go through high-crime areas.

BUT, if you get pulled over, you had better make damn sure you keep your hands on the wheel, window fully open, all doors unlocked, and tell the officer that you have a loaded gun and where it is FIRST! You will have a very pissed off officer when he sees a loaded pistol you 'forgot' to mention.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Pimp

So can it be ON you? lol.. Not like sitting on you, but like in a holster ON you.. lol
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hammerless Ruger SP101 .357.....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
It just has to be out of sight. It can be under your dash or seat, in your console, between your console and seat, between door and seat, under a shirt, etc. You can actually have it in your lap and under a towel or shirt when you go through high-crime areas.

BUT, if you get pulled over, you had better make damn sure you keep your hands on the wheel, window fully open, all doors unlocked, and tell the officer that you have a loaded gun and where it is FIRST! You will have a very pissed off officer when he sees a loaded pistol you 'forgot' to mention.

I have spoken to both a sherrif and local cop. They both said that unless the situation calls for it, do not mention the gun. You are better off not creating the tension that will arise from a gun in an otherwise normal traffic stop. They both also said, that if the officer doesnt assume you have a gun, they are not trained properly.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _Zac
So can it be ON you? lol.. Not like sitting on you, but like in a holster ON you.. lol
From what I gather from other discussions I've had, you would need a CHL to carry ON your body. But, not 100% sure.

Then again, if your weapon is truly concealed in any manner, who would know?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm too skinny to conceal anything on me
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

It would probably help to read the texas gun laws, but i'm lazy. Self-defense in a mortal situation includes a gun being pointed at you correct?

Scenario: Mike Smith was an ordinary fellow with an ordinary family. One day Mike was taking a spirited drive in his LS1 Camaro and suddenly, he makes the wrong turn. A turn, he hopes... would not be his last. Mike has just entered into what some consider "The Ghetto". Suddenly out of nowhere a cracked out drug dealer approaches the car with his weapon drawn towards Mike. Out of quick instincts Mike grabs his Desert Eagle .50 Caliber hand gun and fires while screaming the famously known quote "HEADSHOT!"

Now, is that a legitimate self defense story?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMow...eature=related for reference purposes
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Relapse
It would probably help to read the texas gun laws, but i'm lazy. Self-defense in a mortal situation includes a gun being pointed at you correct?

Scenario: Mike Smith was an ordinary fellow with an ordinary family. One day Mike was taking a spirited drive in his LS1 Camaro and suddenly, he makes the wrong turn. A turn, he hopes... would not be his last. Mike has just entered into what some consider "The Ghetto". Suddenly out of nowhere a cracked out drug dealer approaches the car with his weapon drawn towards Mike. Out of quick instincts Mike grabs his Desert Eagle .50 Caliber hand gun and fires while screaming the famously known quote "HEADSHOT!"

Now, is that a legitimate self defense story?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMow...eature=related for reference purposes
Self-defense is any time you feel that a threat could injure or kill you or a family member.