A/C Help - 01 Camaro LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just started daily driving my Z28 and the other day the A/C and the stereo all went dead. I know the compressor is still running and the freon is good, I know its gotta be an electrical thing, just too coincidental that the radio and the a/c went out at exactly the same time. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not very good at electrical issues, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
alternator? lol
Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i still couldnt get it to work. It is confirmed that the compressor is working tho. But I dunno if i added the freon right cause its not blowing cold. I dont have the prof. gauges just a cheap one that came with the can. Still in need of help, Meza TA.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Launching!

LOL My bad. I haven't been able to load up ls1tech since yesterday until finally today it's loading good. Hit me up...214-629-0388.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEZA TA
LOL My bad. I haven't been able to load up ls1tech since yesterday until finally today it's loading good. Hit me up...214-629-0388.
Thanks!
Will do.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:16 PM

Default DAMN, my A/C just blew up

OK, I was leaning over into engine compartment of my 98 Z28 a little while ago and revved her up a couple times. All of a sudden I hear, "BLAM" followed by some horrid grinding and clanging. At first I thought it was mains or conn rods coming out. Needless to say I freaked. I shut the engine off for a few minutes to look things over and think. A few minutes later I had my daughter start it up while I leaned into the engine area and listened. As soon as she started it the horrible rattle was audible. I had her turn the A/C off and low and behold the noise stopped. Ok, so not as bad as I had first feared but it is hot as hell here and need to get this rectified.

I have turned wrenches for a long long time but am not certified for anything much less A/C work. I can get a compressor from Advance for ~$200 and swapping one part for another will not be an issue. I found an A/C compressor on EBay (don't laugh) and below are the installation instructions that were included in the auction:

1 - SYSTEM MUST BE THOROUGHLY FLUSHED, IF NOT THE NEW UNIT WILL BE DAMAGED.

2- MAKE SURE THAT YOUR MECHANIC CHECKS FOR DEBRIS/METAL SHAVINGS IN THE A/C SYSTEM. IF EITHER ARE PRESENT THEN YOUR CONDENSOR MUST BE REPLACED. IF THE CONDENSOR IS NOT REPLACED, THEN YOU WILL DAMAGE THE NEW COMPRESSOR.

3- BE SURE YOUR MECHANIC CHARGES THE SYSTEM PROPERLY. OVERCHARGING CAN RUIN THE SEALS AND CAUSE LEAKING

4- ALL UNITS ARE SHIPPED WITH APPROX. 4OZ. OF PAG OIL. MECHANIC MUST DUMP OUT THE PAG OIL IN THE UNIT AND MEASURE IT AND ADD MORE OR LESS PER THE SPECS FOR YOUR VEHICLE. PROPER AMOUNT OF OIL IS VERY CRITICAL TO MANY UNITS.

So here are the real questions:

1 - How do you purge the system?
2 - Is there a preferred method for checking for debris?
3 - Is the amount of PAG oil critical for this particular unit.

Thanks for any help you provide.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

usually if your compressor took a dump like that you got debris in the system but hopefully none past the orifice tube. There might not be much traveling through since you caught it and shut if off. you do have to flush the system to rid yourself of the debris. Condenser will be fine...however the accumulator might be screwed. You usually want to drain the oil out of your old compressor and add that amount to your replacement, New oil of course. When replacing your accumulator follow same procedure. Otherwise you add i believe 2oz to accumulator and 2oz to the compressor. And yes oil is critical to the system.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Juice, my dads 03 Tahoe lost the AC belt. Is it possible that the compressor took a dump like u were telling me? The AC was working but then it just went out little by little.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
Hey Juice, my dads 03 Tahoe lost the AC belt. Is it possible that the compressor took a dump like u were telling me? The AC was working but then it just went out little by little.
Those are bad about having the compressor lock up. Put another belt on it....crank the ac and rev the engine and listen for the compressor to grind. It might not do it on the first rev....you have to rev it up until you get to WOT
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where exactly do these cars have the orifice tube? I looked at my trans am and it doesn't have the expansion block like older models used to, I checked and it calls for an orifice tube, but where is it?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Orifice tube is in the line that goes from condenser to evaporator. It's a 10mm bolt you have to remove. Disconnect the line at the evaporator.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep its definatly gone. Its squeeking and grinding like a ****.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Launching!

replace it along with orifice tube and flush system
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just started daily driving my Z28 and the other day the A/C and the stereo all went dead. I know the compressor is still running and the freon is good, I know its gotta be an electrical thing, just too coincidental that the radio and the a/c went out at exactly the same time. Anyone got any ideas? I'm not very good at electrical issues, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check accessory fuses/etc. Pulling fuses is cheap/easy, I'd start there first.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What should the LOW side gauge read? How about the HIGH side?

Quick Reply: A/C Help - 01 Camaro LS1