View Poll Results: Would/Could you want to be in the room with your pet when they put it down
Yes, I would want to be in the room with it
64.00%
No, I couldn't stand to watch my pet die, even though its for the better
36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Having to put down your pet :( Would you want to be in the room?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ agreed. i baught my girlfriend a little worthless rat terrior, she loves it and plus my dog loves playing with it. figured it would be good because i don't get much time to spend with my dog sence i work and go to school... maybe if i get a house in next year or two i will get my hands on another black lab (was my first dog as a baby) and i loved them. hopefully i can get it before my dog goes to so i have a big dog to hug when i get home, hard to hug a rat terrior lol. good thing with my dog though is beagles usually go young and are out of shape and mine still looks like a pup so hopefully i get lucky...
Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Not only does getting one now help ease the pain of losing your dog, but your older dog tends to help train the puppy by example from my experience.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

My dog seems to get very jealous when friends bring there dogs over. I am not sure that would go over too well with her. Besides that I am not home enough to take care of a second dog. I feel bad enough the way it is whenever I have to leave my dog home alone. I just dont want her to think I am trying to replace her or anything. She is very territorial and I would rather give her what she wants for her final years.

Though I do see where getting the puppy to learn from my dog would be a good thing.... but at what cost to my current dogs happiness?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
My dog seems to get very jealous when friends bring there dogs over. I am not sure that would go over too well with her. Besides that I am not home enough to take care of a second dog. I feel bad enough the way it is whenever I have to leave my dog home alone. I just dont want her to think I am trying to replace her or anything. She is very territorial and I would rather give her what she wants for her final years.

Though I do see where getting the puppy to learn from my dog would be a good thing.... but at what cost to my current dogs happiness?
I think you will find that the current dog will grow to love the new dog, as long as you don't get a new puppy and hold it constantly and give your current dog a reason to be jealous. I am a sap for dogs that need help and at first when a temporary dog comes to stay my dogs are always jealous when I give the new one attention, then eventually they take it in as their own and actually act like family to each other. I owned a single dog, and then he had to get to know my roommates dog after they hated sharing attention for a while, and by the time I moved out I had to take them both because they were unhappy without each other and just laid around our separate houses depressed. Then I moved in with my fiance and they both had to get to know her dog and it has now turned out just the same. We puppysit for some friends and our dogs used to hate their puppy, and now yet again, they are all attached to each other. Every time they impress me with their ability to bring in the new dog and grow to love them like they've always played together. It feels great to never leave my dog at home "alone" anymore, although I still hate to be gone for long

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-02-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

My counterpart at work just had to put his bull mastiff down, he was in the room.

I voted no however, I don't think I could do that.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a turtle, that is 11 yrs. old, a red ear slider, ive raised since it was smaller than a quarter. i will weep like a child the day she passes
her name is suzuki, she is about 8.25 inches in diameter now, last time i weighed her, she was at over 6 lbs.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I held my dog while he passed, really tough thing to do but as stated earlier in the thread, you want your pet to feel loved. Really sorry to hear about you cat.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the kind wishes guys. I just picked up the cat from the vet today. His diabetes is uncontrollable now. One day he'll have high blood sugar, dangerously low the next. Plus with the stomach tumor, I know what is getting best for him...

I decided I will be in the room holding him, or any pet because I know I'd like to know my family was there when I die... BUT, I won't be able to look as they pass on... I can't put myself to see that, it'll never get out of my head.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

i would be there. my dog of 14 years died in her sleep when i was in bootcamp. it sucked not being able to say goodbye.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

time for a new kitten man, usually helps everything out when you got something new in it's place. not neccessarily (spelling) replacing it but filling the void you know? sorry to hear about it.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
time for a new kitten man, usually helps everything out when you got something new in it's place. not neccessarily (spelling) replacing it but filling the void you know? sorry to hear about it.

We have other cats, and all but one is old. My kitty is 17 years old and doing fine! But I know its gonna be so so hard when that day comes
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to put down my 14yo Rottie last year due to cancer. I wanted to be right there by her side all the way to the end. She was part of my family, just like if she was a sibling I would want to be by their side also.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my mom is a vet... and has been since i was born.. most people stay in the room.... they are balling their eyes out... but they are still in there.. and dont worry if you feel stupid, people understand what it would be like.. ive seen 6 foot plus men weighing 250 lbs crying over their pets... i would.

sorry to hear about your soon to be loss man.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say be there but then again, don't see the point in getting so emotional in a pet regardless IMO esp. a cat
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
I would say be there but then again, don't see the point in getting so emotional in a pet regardless IMO esp. a cat
that was kinda f'ed up man.. if you love something and care about it and take care of it you would.. feed it water it walk it play wih it... whatever...

just like your car.... some people.. all they have is their pets, it truely is their BEST friend..
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
I decided I will be in the room holding him, or any pet because I know I'd like to know my family was there when I die... BUT, I won't be able to look as they pass on... I can't put myself to see that, it'll never get out of my head.
I thought the same thing when I put my dog down 5 years ago. I wanted to be there holding her and reassuring her that I was doing the best thing. I thought I wouldn't be able to watch, but she just locked eyes with me and I couldn't look away. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I cried a ton. It hurts really bad at first, but it does get better. I would do it again in the same situation. Like you said, you would want your family there for you. I don't envy you, but you are doing the right thing.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
Quit being so shallow man. When you care for an animal that you get attached to, you cant help but get involved emotionally. Its hard to see anybody you have spent years with on a daily basis die and go. I take it you have not had too many experiences with people/animals dying around you.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear that you're loosing your pet. I'm sure it's tough for non pet people to understand this. As 97LT1 said, you spend everyday with these pets. They are happy to see you when you get home, they follow you around everywhere...it's really a shock when they're not around anymore.

IMO, my dog is scared out of her mind when she goes to the vet. I'd rather be in there with her than her being scared when she passes. I doubt you'd regret doing it afterward.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I had to put my rot down, it was really sad for me cause i had him for 12 years wich is rare for a big dog.But he got cancer and fell apart; witch pissed me off cause a month prior to him showing signs he was so full of life like he was ready for another 12 years, and then he quit eating and started throwing up blood etc ..etc... I finally decided to put him down cause it was more painfull for him to live than for me to put him down. Long story short when they gave him the shot i was present holding him in my lap like the way he used to sit when i was bummed out or he knew someting was wrong.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Texas Director

I had to put my Beagle down last September and I was in the room. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever experienced. If I had it to do over again, no I would not be in there again. I would say my goodbyes in the vet's office and let them take them back there and leave it at that. Sorry for your upcoming loss. It's not an easy thing to go through at all. Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family. I'm still not over losing my buddy Molli. RIP Moll Molls!