View Poll Results: Would/Could you want to be in the room with your pet when they put it down
Yes, I would want to be in the room with it
64.00%
No, I couldn't stand to watch my pet die, even though its for the better
36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Having to put down your pet :( Would you want to be in the room?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having to put down your pet :( Would you want to be in the room?

Our kitty has diabetes and a tumor in his stomach. Plus he's old, and its getting to the point of needing him to be put down.

My question is, would you want to be in the room with your pet when they put it down?

I hate death
Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
Our kitty has diabetes and a tumor in his stomach. Plus he's old, and its getting to the point of needing him to be put down.

My question is, would you want to be in the room with your pet when they put it down?

I hate death
yea i hate it, but stay in the room make sure yer pet knows you love him/her and make sure YOU are the last thing he/she sees before he/she goes
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, I would. I love my pits to death amd would want to be there for them at their last moment if i could.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only was I in the room but I held her as the vet gave her the shot. It wasn't easy but I didn't want it any other way.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to leave. The same animal hospital gave us false hope over and over. It just prolonged the agony our cat had to suffer. Not only because I was upset, just because it seems like the hospital didn't care. I didn't want to have to throw stuff around the room after the fact cause I was mad either.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

In the last year or so I had to put my dog down that I have had for the last 15 years. I was in the room with him and I held him for the last time. I think it was better that way for both me and my dog. On the other hand when I was a kid I didn't have that choice when my parents took our family dog to the vet that we had for 17 years. I always regretted not being there so having experienced both scenarios I hink being there is better.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarkKnightT/A
yea i hate it, but stay in the room make sure yer pet knows you love him/her and make sure YOU are the last thing he/she sees before he/she goes
I voted no, but after I just read this, I'd have to say yes. Either way, it'd suck.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

i would have to be there. my dog has always been there for me, so i would have to be there for him. i wish they lived as long as we did, that would be awesome... i definetly know that when/if that putting down time comes i'll be crying like a 4 year old girl. amazing what a animal can do to you, now if it was like a gerbil or something i would feed it to my dog with no thought about it haha.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Launching!

I voted absolutely yes. My min pincher is now 4 and I've had him for a year and it seems like ten already. He goes everywhere with me (I drive trucks for 3-5 weeks out at a time) and he's there, when I go to the gtg's he's there too. I don't even want to think about it but like meantransam said, I wish they could live as long as we do, There is nothing I would not do for him and will be there holding him when/ if that time comes
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think I could stay in the room. Best of luck with the situation.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't even like to think about it, even thinking about that situation upsets me. I would HAVE to be in the room.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

When i was twelve we had to put down our dog of eleven years because of heart worms. My brother and mom took him though, i wasnt there. I really regret no being able to say goodbye to him. He was an awesome dog, he always protected us and he loved to run and play with us. I remember playing kickball and he would run ad get the ball before we kicked it. We got him when i was one so losing him was really tough. The dog i have now has arthritis and she's probably going to lose her vision.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

my dogs 10 and doing great, but he had several injuries when younger that could limit his time. but as long as he doesn't do anything to trigger them back he should have some good years left. but if he keeps eating all the food i buy him i may kill him myself haha.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

When we had to put our dog of 17 years down I couldn't be in the room when it happened. Now I wish I was there.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

we had an 18 year old lab that had every problem in the world you could think of and when we went to put him to sleep my dad held him and he wouldn't die, took 2 shots and he was still struggling to stay alive. now that's shitty, wasn't really bad for me because me and that dog never got along sence i was a little kid but just the fact he wouldn't die sucks. i just hope mine goes out the way they should, old and asleep. and hopefully i live in my own house by then because currently i live in an apartment and i would hate to have to bury him in a spot i will never return to.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I don't even like to think about it, even thinking about that situation upsets me. I would HAVE to be in the room.
I hear ya. Unfortunately the last 2 years in a row, we've had to put down my wife's 11 year old white boxer, and then last year my 13 year old brindle boxer. I was in the room for both, holding them til the very end. Damn tought and I'm not ashamed to say that I balled like a baby for both, but the only way to do it IMO.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Be in the room, or you will regret that you were not in there, and will hate the feeling...
It sucks seeing that happen, but you will thank yourself in the long run.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

dude
that ******* sucks
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

I also voted no before thinking about it. I know my dog is getting old and think about it more and more. She is about 14 now but doesn't show her age at all. Im just hoping she lives forever. Though when that time comes I'm sure Ill cry like a baby because I live at my house alone with just me and her.....it would defiantly be weird.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
I also voted no before thinking about it. I know my dog is getting old and think about it more and more. She is about 14 now but doesn't show her age at all. Im just hoping she lives forever. Though when that time comes I'm sure Ill cry like a baby because I live at my house alone with just me and her.....it would defiantly be weird.
You might wanna think about getting another now to make the transition a little easier.