View Poll Results: Would/Could you want to be in the room with your pet when they put it down
Yes, I would want to be in the room with it
64.00%
No, I couldn't stand to watch my pet die, even though its for the better
36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Having to put down your pet :( Would you want to be in the room?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take it old school and DIY. It always sucks having to put a pet down
Old 06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as it would break my heart to have to put mine down, i would definetly be there for it.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a year ago we had to put down my wifes cat of 20+ years. I was around him for 10 and up until the last week you would think this cat was 5 years old. He went downhill so fast. We were both in the room holding him saying good bye. I was that 6'6' 300lb guy crying over his cat

Now a year latter just about 2 weeks ago we are putting my son to sleep and we here a small kitten meowing outside. We open the front door and this little tinny orange tabby about 6 weeks old comes bounding in. From the looks of him he was a stray not someones pet but this little guy will follow you around the house. Curls up on your shoulder to go to sleep and we gave him a bath last night and not a peep out of him.

Just remember all your pets are waiting for you in heaven in there own special park where they are playing and having fun while they wait for you. Think of that time when you walk over that grassy hill and from the other side comes bounding all your pets. Now that is heaven to me.

Gregg
Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unconditional love that your pets have given you throught out their lives should be returned unconditionaly. The rest of your life when you think of them and they still bring a smile to our faces and be proud of the moments you were there when they needed you the most.

Last edited by sundaydriver; 06-03-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone sent me this when I had to put my dog to sleep.

The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears ***** forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I had to have one of my APBTs put down the day after Xmas year before last because some ******* shot him. Sweetest most gentle dog I've ever had. An 80lb 2yr old who wouldn't hurt a fly. I stayed with him and petted him while they gave him the shots, but I was losing it. My wife had already had to leave the evaluation room because she was so upset. I stayed as long as I could physically/emotionally stand it. When he started going to sleep the Dr. asked if I wanted to go into the back room with him while they took him back, and if I wanted to take him with me. I wanted to, but was just not capable of it. Hell, I'll admit I'm crying typing this. The only things that have hurt worse were when friends of mine have been killed. They're part of your family, and there will always be that void in your heart, but knowing you'll see them again one day helps to ease the pain. It'll never go away, but that shows that you cared about them. My family, friends, and pets will come before anything else. Sorry for the rant..but if I had it to do all over again, I'd still stay with him. Wouldn't want him to be afraid and alone in his last minutes when all he ever did was give us love.

Last edited by LS69TA; 06-05-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My mom adopted 2 puppies a few years back and 1 of them ended up having a brain tumor and had to be put to sleep after 2 weeks of having her (she was still VERY VERY young) I was in school but my mom was crying her eye's out about it and held her till the very end.....it really is a sad moment and it's something nobody looks forward to. The night before we put her down you could hear her crying from the paint....it sucked.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Not only was I in the room but I held her as the vet gave her the shot. It wasn't easy but I didn't want it any other way.
damn that's so sad i dont want to even think of the day my dog has to go through this
Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

the 2 of the worst days of my life were when my dogs died... both german shepherds, one at 10 yrs old when I was 20 and the other at 6 yrs old when I was 26... I cried my eyes out for both, wasnt there for either and wish I could have been there, neither were put down, but I would be there.. It's something you dont even want to think about but I would be there till the end if i could..

Getting a younger pup is usually a good thing when your dog is getting older... its like an injection of youth and a new companion to lift spirits and have the dog happier... When my lab gets a couple years older I'll def get another pup to keep her young..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last year, When my 15 year old lab had to had be put down, we went back to my house, and as I hugged her as the vet did it.

Something that I knew I had to do, but do NOT care to do again.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys...thanks for the support...god knows I need it.

I am taking the cat in tomorrow or Tuesday to put him down... I will be holding him, petting him, but I can't look at him when he goes... I want him to know we are there with him when he passes on...

He came into my room tonight, looked at me and meowed the saddest meow ever, like he said "help me". It was so hard... He hasn't eaten in 5 days.. its time to stop him from suffering. I'd hope someone would do the same for me in that position..

The one thing that does make me feel a little better is knowing he will be in heaven waiting for us...

god this is so hard