which bike to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope not in the age group thats most likely, thats 25+...statistics are proven to try and argue with them is pretty dumb, sure theres the unfortunate person that has bad luck and the fortunate person that will go through riding without ever having an accident...nope not cockiness just dont have the same opinion as you...you can voice whatever opinion you want but factual info is there for you in the statictics, i am very much considering a 600 now because of the points orangeappeal pointed out that its a better cornering bike. However i dont see a 600 being anysafer then a liter bike. Do a sprocket change and they are very very close...and i agree with you most accidents are avoidable, what exactly are you trying to argue about that a 600 is safer then a liter bike??
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dshag
nope not in the age group thats most likely, thats 25+...statistics are proven to try and argue with them is pretty dumb, sure theres the unfortunate person that has bad luck and the fortunate person that will go through riding without ever having an accident...nope not cockiness just dont have the same opinion as you...you can voice whatever opinion you want but factual info is there for you in the statictics, i am very much considering a 600 now because of the points orangeappeal pointed out that its a better cornering bike. However i dont see a 600 being anysafer then a liter bike. Do a sprocket change and they are very very close...and i agree with you most accidents are avoidable, what exactly are you trying to argue about that a 600 is safer then a liter bike??
Never once have I said a 600 is better than a 1K. The age group that is most likely to get hurt on a SS is under 25. Let me look up the stats and post them for you, on the likely hood of a accident. It is not a matter of if you will go down, it is a matter of when you will go down.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...006/810606.pdf
heres the national link on pg 41 it brings up age and helmet use so your right 20-29 and older then 59 is the greatest risk

Last edited by dshag; 06-30-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 25 and up is in the second link which is statistics for 2007 and goes back to the 80's, its about a third down the page...didnt feel like finding exactly where it is in the other 2
Yep you right, but is that based on SS bikes ?? The statistics on SS bikes is the younger ones that get killed. So yes your right on that account, I would guess grouping the older idiots on cruisers that wear no helmet and no gear would out number the people killed on SS bikes. Your not one that will go out and ride with flip flops, shorts and no gloves and helmet are you ?? sure hope not.

ps not doggin on you or anything just trying to help you make a informed decision on what to get bike wise.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Just by reading your posts, you don't need to be on anything more powerful than a 50cc Vespa.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

i appreciate info about bikes such as orange appeal said about cornering and performance wise of 600 vs liter bikes...its just frustrating hearing people say you cant handle a liter bike get a 600 its safer when theres no info to prove that, i dont want to modify the bike i get i want to keep it stock and not outgrow the performance which i see happening on a 600, thats one of the reasons why i was leaning towards a liter bike, i have a lot of friends that ride and am looking to get my own bike...everyone has their own opinions about things i respect that...im just providing factual info with the statistics the us national is probably most accurate but its from 2006, couldnt find a newer one...great idea sarge vespa hear i come...vespas always remind me of dumb and dumber lol
Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i appreciate info about bikes such as orange appeal said about cornering and performance wise of 600 vs liter bikes...its just frustrating hearing people say you cant handle a liter bike get a 600 its safer when theres no info to prove that, i dont want to modify the bike i get i want to keep it stock and not outgrow the performance which i see happening on a 600, thats one of the reasons why i was leaning towards a liter bike, i have a lot of friends that ride and am looking to get my own bike...everyone has their own opinions about things i respect that...im just providing factual info with the statistics the us national is probably most accurate but its from 2006, couldnt find a newer one...great idea sarge vespa hear i come...vespas always remind me of dumb and dumber lol
Honestly I dont know anyone that will "outgrow" a 600. Most of the fastest track times are on a 600. Mind you we are not talking straight line performance. I will never be able to outhandle my 600, most everyone i ride with has had a 1K and went back to a 600. Depending on the rider, I can beat most 1K bikes. Anyone can pull the throttle and go straight, but the question is can you corner the bike ???? I am slow on my R6, have TONS to learn, and will never be able to use the bike to its full potential.

Here is a pic of me at the track at TWS. I started out on a 600, but I have had previous experience on the dirt, and I am or was 33 when i got the bike.

Remember I have a TON to learn yet. I want to get low enough to drag elbows. Go to a track and see how slow you really are. Street riding is nothing compaired to track riding.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

yup, sweet bike im sure your modded a bit, nice pics...everyone has their own preference
Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup, sweet bike im sure your modded a bit, nice pics...everyone has their own preference
No performance mods what so ever. I have sliders, GPR dampner, puig windscreen, probably a couple other things. But nothing at all performance wise, I am going to do -1 +2 sprocket change soon. But as of now, it is all stock. Even down to the paper filter.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

well after thinking about what everybody said ill probably get a 04 or 05 model for around 6k maybe even something a little older as far as 1k vs 600 its whatever i can get a good price on...since i am relatively new to bikes im sure ill drop it and it would kill me to have a brand new bike that i paid 10k for and drop it...thanks for the advice
Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well after thinking about what everybody said ill probably get a 04 or 05 model for around 6k maybe even something a little older as far as 1k vs 600 its whatever i can get a good price on...since i am relatively new to bikes im sure ill drop it and it would kill me to have a brand new bike that i paid 10k for and drop it...thanks for the advice
Hey go check out Motohouston.com. there is TONS of bikes for sale all the time. People can help you decide on a good deal or not. Also there is plenty of other people from other cities on the site also.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I dare you to post make an introduction post on MH talking about buying a litre bike and see how far you get
Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Hondas are tough. GSXRs are showey. Yamahas are fast. Kawasakis are.... bright green.

My friend just sold his R6 with tune and exhaust, I've seen him run with R1s. Go join Motohouston, pay attention to RIP threads.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Hondas are tough. GSXRs are showey. Yamahas are fast. Kawasakis are.... bright green.

My friend just sold his R6 with tune and exhaust, I've seen him run with R1s. Go join Motohouston, pay attention to RIP threads.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

well whatever your decision i wish you luck. I hope i dont see you name on that list of riders that went down. Also invest in frame sliders...cheap insurance for small drops.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Mustang Moderator

Like I posted earlier... buy my gsxr

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-classifieds/921715-f-s-gsxr-600-a.html
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Launching!

I still don't understand the mentality of buy a 600 instead of a liter bike. They are both equally dangerous. My first bike to ride, which i ride is an R1. I have no problems with the bike. I had a friend that lost his leg on a bike. It could've happened on 600 just the same. I do agree that that if you are track racing then the 600 would last you a good while, but for just street riding get the 1k or bigger. I've driven an r6 and it was kind of fast, but nothing like the r1. That bike is insane fast. It is possible to have a liter bike and not just put it in first and gun it. a 600 will throw you off just as easy if you dont know what you are doing. After all most people on this forum are speed freaks, adrenaline junkies, etc. Some people on the board buy a gen III powered car and wreck it with stock horsepower, while others have have no problem with 1000hp cars. I will say respect whatever you get, and realize that your car is going to feel like an aveo.

P.s. I have an 04 R1 for sale with new shoei helmet for under 7k.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

what part of texas do you live in and miles...i said the same thing and ppl bitch about it
Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Check out this place highfivecycles.com they have alot of good sport bikes and good prices, there in dallas too. i went there on saturday and theres some good stuff.

they have my personal favorite bike an 03 SV1000 for only $5499, Got to love the sound of a V-twin
http://www.highfivecycles.com/new_ve...=887973#detail

heres a good choice
http://www.highfivecycles.com/new_ve...=902779#detail

Last edited by kevin's_00ss; 07-01-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
I still don't understand the mentality of buy a 600 instead of a liter bike. They are both equally dangerous. My first bike to ride, which i ride is an R1. I have no problems with the bike. I had a friend that lost his leg on a bike. It could've happened on 600 just the same. I do agree that that if you are track racing then the 600 would last you a good while, but for just street riding get the 1k or bigger. I've driven an r6 and it was kind of fast, but nothing like the r1. That bike is insane fast. It is possible to have a liter bike and not just put it in first and gun it. a 600 will throw you off just as easy if you dont know what you are doing. After all most people on this forum are speed freaks, adrenaline junkies, etc. Some people on the board buy a gen III powered car and wreck it with stock horsepower, while others have have no problem with 1000hp cars. I will say respect whatever you get, and realize that your car is going to feel like an aveo.

P.s. I have an 04 R1 for sale with new shoei helmet for under 7k.
cause a 600 u cant power wheelie through the 1st 3 gears without clutching it up, a 1000 will get sideways on u in a heartbeat cause of the power it puts to the ground. Smaller bike is more forgiving and will let u ride another day...why do u think the europeans can ride circles around us...cause the have to graduate from a smaller bike to a larger one.
I'd give my kid a 98-02 z28 but I wouldnt buy him a Zr1 or an Enzo for a 1st car even if I had the money, people are people and they will want to test out the power and on a bike its 10 times more deadlier when U make that mistake in the wrong situation.

Quick Reply: which bike to get?