Guadalupe River for the 4th....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guadalupe River for the 4th....

Who is going?? I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the Guadalupe or Comal river. Any insight on where and which one?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I prefer the guadalupe over the comal. The comal is too slow and boring.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
I prefer the guadalupe over the comal. The comal is too slow and boring.
I guess the "horseshoe" is the best part of the Guadalupe to float? Is that where everyone goes?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
I guess the "horseshoe" is the best part of the Guadalupe to float? Is that where everyone goes?
Yeah for the most part. Its easy, fun, and there's lots of people.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with TLUZLS1.
The comal is pretty boring for the most part.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the Comal is pretty boring unless you do the tube shute around 100 times. The Guadalupe can also be boring if the river flow isnt too good.

Personally the Guadalupe is much better for a longer float but on the 4th there are TONS of people that will be there. The horseshoe is fun but I prefer the natural tube shute that is a little bit farther down the river. Just do a long float and youll be good and hammered.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Yea the Comal is pretty boring unless you do the tube shute around 100 times. The Guadalupe can also be boring if the river flow isnt too good.

Personally the Guadalupe is much better for a longer float but on the 4th there are TONS of people that will be there. The horseshoe is fun but I prefer the natural tube shute that is a little bit farther down the river. Just do a long float and youll be good and hammered.
Yeah. The Guadalupe has been flowing pretty good right now from what I've heard.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Yea, unless it's changed, the campsite out of city limits and does not adhere to the local restrictions:
Beer bongs and camp fires etc.

Cops are tough on underage drinking. Most the time if the minors are honest you get away with a warning and you get to dump ur beer. Most smart mouth minors go straight to jail.

---------Little secret -------
If you go up river road toward the damn(pink building on right), there is a lady who sells tubes w/bottoms for cheap compared to the local daily pricing. Buy some rope at home depot to tie the bottom to the tube. (50 ft. 1/4" nylon rope about 12 bucks)

Last edited by Blackfly; 06-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Yea, unless it's changed, the campsite out of city limits and does not adhere to the local restrictions:
Beer bongs and camp fires etc.

Cops are tough on underage drinking. Most the time if the minors are honest you get away with a warning and you get to dump ur beer. Most smart mouth minors go straight to jail.
Okay so would you guys recommend camping instead of a hotel? I want to go out with my buds and have a hell of a time where a lot of people are and girls girls girls and drinking and PARTYS Where do most of the college crowd go? What about night life? Any good bars in New Braunfels? I was underage the last time I went (like 8 years ago!) so I didn't go out or anything.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Okay so would you guys recommend camping instead of a hotel? I want to go out with my buds and have a hell of a time where a lot of people are and girls girls girls and drinking and PARTYS Where do most of the college crowd go? What about night life? Any good bars in New Braunfels? I was underage the last time I went (like 8 years ago!) so I didn't go out or anything.
Not so much in NB, but San Marcos is a fun place to go, especially during a holiday or weekend nights
Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Not so much in NB, but San Marcos is a fun place to go, especially during a holiday or weekend nights
I guess so being a college town? You all will have to forgive me, like I said, I have not been there in a LOOONG time so please by all means, school me on what is good out there. If I see ya out there, I'll buy ya a drink or two for the help...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I usually get my cammelback and fill it up, take my backpack fill it with beer, grab a flashlight and infiltrate campsites...you meet tons of peeps and you can use the beer as re-fills for the cammelback or offer it as trade-up's for other campsite alcohol:
jello-shots, keg stands, etc.

I have a blast every time I go. I seem to hook up w/peeps the next day to float...makes it way more entertaining.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Yeah. The Guadalupe has been flowing pretty good right now from what I've heard.
Yea thats why my family has said. I used to go every year at least 2-3 times a year and have done the comal many many times because I have an aunt that lives about a block away from it.

http://www.tubetexas.com/flows/guadalupe-flow-rate.html

Ive been when the river was as low as around 50 CFS and as high as 400 CFS. 50 blew *** and the 400 was pretty damn fun and outrageous. Id love to do it again when its that high.

Well the river on the 4th is pretty much a floating bar! Its damn fun and well its basically just a good time ANYTIME you go.

By all means go camping if you can find a spot. Its pretty close to the 4th so you might have a hard time getting a spot down. Its a blast to camp on the river and there are a lot of spots that have sprung up in the past 5 years so it might be easier to get a campsite.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackfly
I usually get my cammelback and fill it up, take my backpack fill it with beer, grab a flashlight and infiltrate campsites...you meet tons of peeps and you can use the beer as re-fills for the cammelback or offer it as trade-up's for other campsite alcohol:
jello-shots, keg stands, etc.

I have a blast every time I go. I seem to hook up w/peeps the next day to float...makes it way more entertaining.
Hmm, so you don't really have a campsite to go back to, just kind of walk around and find other people to hang out with? Which campsite are you talking about?

Yea thats why my family has said. I used to go every year at least 2-3 times a year and have done the comal many many times because I have an aunt that lives about a block away from it.

http://www.tubetexas.com/flows/guadalupe-flow-rate.html

Ive been when the river was as low as around 50 CFS and as high as 400 CFS. 50 blew *** and the 400 was pretty damn fun and outrageous. Id love to do it again when its that high.

Well the river on the 4th is pretty much a floating bar! Its damn fun and well its basically just a good time ANYTIME you go.

By all means go camping if you can find a spot. Its pretty close to the 4th so you might have a hard time getting a spot down. Its a blast to camp on the river and there are a lot of spots that have sprung up in the past 5 years so it might be easier to get a campsite.
So you think that the 4th will be too busy? Floating bar you say? That might give me the wrong impression....people all floating around, going from group to group drinking? Maybe some boobies flying?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to camp or just get a hotel. It would be cheaper to camp and maybe even more fun I guess
Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAMP!!! Seriously. If you get a hotel you STILL have to rent all the tubes and stuff at the outfitters and pay for parking regardles. If you camp you can usually get a good deal on tubes (50% off), dont have to pay for parking and you dont have to drive on river road on the 4th which SUCKS. If you do want to camp Id start looking now and book really fast. The places to camp get full fast around the holidays.

It will be busy but it will still be a blast. Last time I went it was the weekend after the 4th and it was still pretty packed but its great fun.

What usually happens is there will be a HUGE group formed. Im talking like 150-200 people just floating all together and partying. Its something youve got to experience I guess bc its really hard to explain.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

CAMP!!! Seriously. If you get a hotel you STILL have to rent all the tubes and stuff at the outfitters and pay for parking regardles. If you camp you can usually get a good deal on tubes (50% off), dont have to pay for parking and you dont have to drive on river road on the 4th which SUCKS. If you do want to camp Id start looking now and book really fast. The places to camp get full fast around the holidays.

It will be busy but it will still be a blast. Last time I went it was the weekend after the 4th and it was still pretty packed but its great fun.

What usually happens is there will be a HUGE group formed. Im talking like 150-200 people just floating all together and partying. Its something youve got to experience I guess bc its really hard to explain.
Yeah. driving down river road on the 4th...you are gonna be sitting still for a long *** time.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate the help guys, I'm glad I get to hear from people who have done it before. I seem to read a lot more people recommend the Comal river for younger adults. I think I'm just confusing myself more and more now on what to do....Comal or Guadalupe....camp or hotel....and where all the hot spots are
Old 06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well with the new river rules the Comal is kind of a pain. No coolers over 16 oz in size. Nothing smaller then 5 oz which means no shots or jello shots and so on. They put them into place because it was becoming really bad on the river apparently. As soon as you go into city limits you can get tickets for that stuff.

Camp, guadalupe and try to get in the campgrounds that are plenty up river.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I agree with you now about the Comal rules being a pain...it seems that if you are doing the "horseshoe" part of the Guadalupe, the rules aren't as strict...which I kinda like.

Let me make sure I'm reading this correctly: The horseshoe is the part on the right in the teal, correct?

http://www.riversportstubes.com/Guad...iver_Rules.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is correct. Anything above the 1st river crossing is in the teal area. The rules havent changed at all for that area.

If you plan on getting drunk dont just do the short horseshoe area as its a pretty short float and youll have to get out and walk a mile then do it again. Being drunk makes that mile really hard to do. At least go thru the natural tube shute area also.

Quick Reply: Guadalupe River for the 4th....