Guadalupe River for the 4th....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the natural tube shute? I was thinking about doing this little float:

http://www.riversportstubes.com/longfloat.htm

Any recommendations on camping sites? I'll probably end up hitting up the ice house there...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Nothing beats a lazy day on a lazy river, however my flight to Amsterdam leave at 7PM on july 4th.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tube chute is between the 4th and 3rd crossing IIRC. Its been about two years since I floated so Im not too sure. Its like 300 ft long and is pretty nice. I know the last time I floated I did the float, walk back up, float, walk back up about 20 times.

Pretty much all the camping is the same. Just depends on what part of the river you want to float. We stayed at the Rainbow river one or something like that last time. Was really nice and pretty small. Had about 20 total campsites.

Just call and ask some questions. Everybody is really friendly and willing to help out.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Texas Director

New Braunfels veteran here, and I'll be glad to offer up my experiences. I have camped on River Road before during the summer and it's pretty hot and muggy at night to be sleeping in a tent. Think about it, you're going to be drunk, sunburned and laying in a sleeping bag in a tent at night and you're going to be sweating because it's so hot an humid. Being sun burned will make it even worse. Screw that! Get a hotel room where you have your own shower, commode, TV, bed and most important of all, A/C. Been there, done that. I won't camp again in a tent in the summer in Texas. If you're going to make hotel reservations you better do it now. The longer you wait, the slimmer your pickings are.

If your heart is set on camping, here's something to think about. Get a campground that has electrical hookups at the campsites for people with tents (I know Huaco Falls Campground has some and you would call Rock'n R for reservations). A lot of people bring a fan with them or even better yet they buy a 110 volt portable A/C unit and put it in the tent, which I understand works really well.

Another alternative to renting tubes is to go to a tire store that sells or services 18 wheeler tires. Buy you some tubes and bring a portable air compressor with you with a schraeder valve tool and not fight the hassle of renting tubes. Make yourself a grocery list and buy your food in NB instead of having to bring it all with you. There is a large HEB and a Walmart in NB.

Don't be confused by the new laws. They only apply to the Guadalupe after the Gruene River bridge going towards town and to the Comal River. Here are the laws: http://www.nbcham.org/2007OrdinanceLink.htm

The Guadalupe is only flowing about 200 CFS due to the lack of rainfall, which isn't all that great. The Guadalupe is definitely the rowdy, party river compared to the Comal, which is more laid back and family oriented. Trust me, there are still plenty of hotties floating on the Comal though.

Any more questions, let me know. Have a good time.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I guess I could of said that. Ive camped in an tent with A/c for almost 10 years actually. HAHAH It does beat the freaking heat and humidity for sure. Ive stayed at both Heuco falls and Rockin R but I think both have upgraded a lot since the last time I was down there.

Another thing with the hotel is you HAVE to have a DD to drive back to town. With a campground you can usually get a ride on a shuttle and not have to worry about that.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be surprised if you can get a hotel room or campsite near the river.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
Hmm, so you don't really have a campsite to go back to, just kind of walk around and find other people to hang out with? Which campsite are you talking about?
I always have a campsite right on the river. I just like to walk around at night and meet people, hang out for a bit and find another party at another campsite. It is an experiance and you meet some very intertesting people... and alot of single chicks. Just take enough "drink" with you.

I normally camp from Wednesday through the day after the holiday because the price is the same. They have holiday rates so it like $80-150 per car the whole weekend and like $25 per person after 2 people for Fri-Sun. (can’t remember the exact price but it's not cheep). I like camping and getting there Wednesday almost Guarantees a spot next to the river (90%). By the 5th day of camping I’m about ready to go.

I camp off of 306 right before the bridge on the lower end of the hoarse shoe

Old 06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

I would definitely go to the Guadalupe over the comal. As far as night life, like others have said you can go to San Marcos but the bars close at 12 on friday and 1 on saturday, but you can always find a good party. I would go to Austin for a night if I were yall.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Texas Director

Being 4th of July weekend there are a few places around NB that will have live bands. There is a place on River Road (can't remember the name - but closer to 46) that usually has a live band. You can't miss it when as you're turning onto River Road, it has a big stage. There is usually a lot of people hanging out there on Saturday night.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM

It maybe too late to get camping grounds, but if you do get some get is close to Jerry's Rentals off of River Road. Try to meet people on the while you float down the guadalupe to find out whats going on that night. Take extra beer, munchies and or anything else you think some girls might like floating down the river. Offering a cookie/beer/smoke or something they dont is a sure way to meet chicks on the river. Also check out Gruene Hall for your night life stuff. Not much else going on close by. I just wanted to give you a heads up about the Texas Tuber Association the definitive source for planning all of you tubing trips. Everything from river flow information, outfitters, a place for you to upload your tubing photos and meet other tubers. Check them out at http://www.texastubers.com
Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will for sure keep all that in mind. I found a hotel there that has plenty of rooms available (as of yesterday). I think Kevin Fowler is going to be there Saturday night so that is what we're going to do...then after I'm going to bring around a cooler of happy juice from campsite to campsite and just party. Thank you all for the suggestions/info!! :-)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mmiller
Being 4th of July weekend there are a few places around NB that will have live bands. There is a place on River Road (can't remember the name - but closer to 46) that usually has a live band. You can't miss it when as you're turning onto River Road, it has a big stage. There is usually a lot of people hanging out there on Saturday night.
Turning onto RR from 46 or from the dam side?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I agree with MMiller, the Guadalupe is pretty slow right now, I floated last week. The Comal's alright but the Guadalupe is way more fun. The 4th is gonna be a big weekend on the river so lots of people but most of all lots of COPS, more cops on the Comal then the Guadalupe though.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by clean99
I agree with MMiller, the Guadalupe is pretty slow right now, I floated last week. The Comal's alright but the Guadalupe is way more fun. The 4th is gonna be a big weekend on the river so lots of people but most of all lots of COPS, more cops on the Comal then the Guadalupe though.
How slow is pretty slow? Is it not enjoyable? As long as I'm kinda moving and the water feels good, I'm cool with it being slow moving.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Texas Director

Sarge, I'm talking about the place on the left right at the beginning of River Road coming from 46 (not near Canyon Lake dam). I'll bet the is where Kevin Fowler will be performing.

RedRyder, with only 200 CFS flowing out of the dam that is pretty slow. As a general guide, if you put in with a tube around Jerry's and float to Gruene at 200 CFS it should take you about five or six hours. If you do that float bring a LOT of beer. On that part of the river you can take whatever size ice chest you want. If you've got a bunch of people floating with you y'all should rent two tubes with bottoms and put two ice chests in them so you'll have plenty of beer.

Count on seeing a pretty strong presence from the police on the river and elsewhere. Whatever you do, if you're approached by the police, DO NOT get an attitude with them. Just say "yes sir, no sir", and cooperate with them an you won't have any problems. If you give them an attitiude the will not hesitate to arrest you for whatever reason - no kidding. I've seen that happen many, many times.

Have a great time!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Sarge, I'm talking about the place on the left right at the beginning of River Road coming from 46 (not near Canyon Lake dam). I'll bet the is where Kevin Fowler will be performing.
Oh yeah I know what you're talking about. I'd take that bet too
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

RedRyder, with only 200 CFS flowing out of the dam that is pretty slow. As a general guide, if you put in with a tube around Jerry's and float to Gruene at 200 CFS it should take you about five or six hours. If you do that float bring a LOT of beer. On that part of the river you can take whatever size ice chest you want. If you've got a bunch of people floating with you y'all should rent two tubes with bottoms and put two ice chests in them so you'll have plenty of beer.

Count on seeing a pretty strong presence from the police on the river and elsewhere. Whatever you do, if you're approached by the police, DO NOT get an attitude with them. Just say "yes sir, no sir", and cooperate with them an you won't have any problems. If you give them an attitiude the will not hesitate to arrest you for whatever reason - no kidding. I've seen that happen many, many times.

Have a great time!
Kevin Fowler is playing at the River Road Ice House..see map:

http://www.riverroadicehouse.com/gra...r_road_map.jpg

I think we're going to go see that, but I have to get some tickets before they sell out. mmiller, do you think the horseshoe area and up to the 4th crossing is a good place to float? Or should I float further down the river?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Launching!

yea +1 its slow but you'll still have fun, just bring alot of beer and like Mmiller said tubes w/bottoms for the coolers, we usually get a tube w/bottom per cooler.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Yeah. The Guadalupe has been flowing pretty good right now from what I've heard.
You are quite mistaken! I am looking out of a sliding glass door at the Guadalupe right now. We have been here since last Saturday and have floated at least 8 times. The water is rather low and slow but I bet they will speed it up for the weekends. Lets just say that we didnt have to tie off our floating bar last night.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even at 200CFS the river is quite floatable. You shouldnt hit bottom at all in the horseshoe area and itll still be a good float.

They will probably up the outflow from lake for the 4th up to around 300CFS is what Im thinking.

Quick Reply: Guadalupe River for the 4th....