Passing TX Inspection - True Duel Questions (any inspectors here?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing TX Inspection - True Duel Questions (any inspectors here?)

I did a search but I couldn’t quite get the answer I’m looking for.

I’m looking at the possibility of building a true duel system with long tubes later this summer/year.

I plan to keep all of my emission equipment hooked up and will run cats right after the headers, so I should be good on the emissions testing. TXDPS website says you can change a single exhaust system to a dual one if you “do not violate requirements concerning exhaust system emission systems”

My question is about dumping the exhaust at the axle.

TxDPS website says “reject if: the tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of passenger compartment of the vehicle.”

So this is a bit grey to me. Will I pass if I dump at the axle, or do I need to extend all the way to the rear?

Just curious, anyone ever done side exhaust tastefully on our cars?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What part of Texas are you in? Here in DFW they are sticklers sometimes about it. But where I am from it is safety only.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

the way I understood it, was that the exhaust has to extend past any part of the passenger occupied space...
Since on these cars that extends all the way to the rear bumper. because of the hatch.. it has to extend past the rear bumper or out to the side.

On trucks it can dump under the truck as long as it doesn't dump under the cab..
Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1970judge
What part of Texas are you in? Here in DFW they are sticklers sometimes about it. But where I am from it is safety only.
Right now I'm in Corpus. But there is a possibility of moving to Houston.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
the way I understood it, was that the exhaust has to extend past any part of the passenger occupied space...
Since on these cars that extends all the way to the rear bumper. because of the hatch.. it has to extend past the rear bumper or out to the side.

On trucks it can dump under the truck as long as it doesn't dump under the cab..
So basically I'm going to need to go over the axle then to make this legal?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stars1010
So basically I'm going to need to go over the axle then to make this legal?
I really think you are going to have to have it come out from under the car, and exit past the rear bumper...
unless you find someone that will pass it dumped..
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
I really think you are going to have to have it come out from under the car, and exit past the rear bumper...
unless you find someone that will pass it dumped..
What if I had some extentions that went under my axle that I only installed when I went for my inspection?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

well.. dont quote me on this...
but thats the way I understood...
Theoretically You could just slide some of that bendable exhuast temporary pipe on there and have it go out the back...
I dont think there is anything they can do about it as log as it exits out from under the car.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in SA and have true duals with long tubes before the axel. Oh yea no cats either. Don't have any problems. Maybe you should look around Corpus for an older shop one that maybe they won't be really sticking to the board?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 PM

the way i did it i have two cutouts on my exaust....one after the headers and one right before the bend to go over the axle and when i go to get a sticker i just cap the cutout it is legal and give me option on the sound.I dont think it is legal here in texas for the exhaust to stop before the axle i have always heard it has to exit 18 inches from the cab space of the car but that was never a official word it was just what i have heard
Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all depends on how much the shop cares... technically, long tubes are illegal, even if you keep the cats, because they change the location of the cats from their stock location.

before i found myself a 'favorite' inspection shop, i flat out asked shop techs before i even pulled in the bay if they did a 'quick' inspection, and that 'the car is a work in progress, and if you're going to go through every item on the list, tell me now because you'd be wasting both our times". the tech responded with 'dont worry about it, i dont think you'll have any problems'.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camracingah
I'm in SA and have true duals with long tubes before the axel. Oh yea no cats either. Don't have any problems. Maybe you should look around Corpus for an older shop one that maybe they won't be really sticking to the board?
Yeah they don't really give a **** about it here
Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

I am a state inspector. Yes by the book it will fail if the exhaust doesnt exit past the passenger compartment. Since the emissions test is obd and not 5 gas most shops dont notice because they arent sticking a probe in the tailpipe. Long tubes are not illegal. As long as the car has cats and was orginally equipped with cats then it is ok. There is nothing in writing that says aftermarket or relocated cats are illegal. As long as the orginal equipment for emissions is installed on the vehicle then it will pass, but if you are doing an obd test most places dont do a visual, plus how are we supposed to know what the vehicle was equipped with orginally. Later years dont have egr. Be me I wouldnt dump it in front of the rearend. You can pass inspection with the flex tubing, but an officer can pull you over and if he wants to can give you a ticket. Also, it will drum like crazy and become annoying in the car. Just my 2 cents, Josh
Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Long tubes are not illegal. As long as the car has cats and was orginally equipped with cats then it is ok. There is nothing in writing that says aftermarket or relocated cats are illegal.
its not the long tubes themselves that are illegal, its the act of moving the cats from their OEM locations.

this site doesnt quote the exact law number, but it does summarize the law:
http://catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

and for those that just want the cliffs notes, it states:
When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:
1. It be installed in the same location as the original
of course, this is EPA federal law, not local texas law. i dont know with certainty that the local gov't must make sure vehicles comply with federal law or not, but i'd assume so.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just find a damn "hook up". That is what everyone else does...except me
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
its not the long tubes themselves that are illegal, its the act of moving the cats from their OEM locations.

this site doesnt quote the exact law number, but it does summarize the law:
http://catalyticconverter.org/law/index.htm

and for those that just want the cliffs notes, it states:

of course, this is EPA federal law, not local texas law. i dont know with certainty that the local gov't must make sure vehicles comply with federal law or not, but i'd assume so.
Read it as you want, but according to the class I went to they mean at the front of the exahust system, the rear,, etc. The law is very vague and many interpretions can be made. Like, the cats are before the y pipe, so with long tubes, the cats are before the y pipe. See what I mean. Interpret it as you want, but I am an inspector, I wouldnt fail a car that had aftermarket cats and longtubes.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

cam72aro is correct i am also a inspector if i wanted to be a dick i would fail u but my car is dumped sooo i see where ur coming from... and the city cops normaly will not mess with u on the exhaust because they dont keep up with everything but the inspection stations are checked by state troopers... and if u get pulled over with defective stuff ie exhaust u will get a ticket they will remove ur sticker and arrest/fine the inspector for the inspection... on a side note if he/she states its illegal and starts on this big rant to help they guy out who did the inspection tell the cop/trooper this is the exhaust u use at the track.. and u have a full cat back at the house u normally run.. its a BIG BIG fine...... the book says all factory equipment.... ie cats bla bla and exit in the factory style location..hell if ur truck had a bed cover.. it has to exit the rear or sides they consider it a cabin space lol ****** retarted... . on our cars it will will "pass" if it exits anywhere on the sides or rear of the car nuthing else... and headers are legal... ie carb legal numbers stamped onto most headers.. and everything is to the inspectors best judgement though but a trooper will bust ur ***

Last edited by 98mysticZ; 07-02-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: i cant spell for shit lol
Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
cam72aro is correct i am also a inspector if i wanted to be a dick i would fail u but my car is dumped sooo i see where ur coming from... and the city cops normaly will not mess with u on the exhaust because they dont keep up with everything but the inspection stations are checked by state troopers... and if u get pulled over with defective stuff ie exhaust u will get a ticket they will remove ur sticker and arrest/fine the inspector for the inspection... on a side note if he/she states its illegal and starts on this big rant to help they guy out who did the inspection tell the cop/trooper this is the exhaust u use at the track.. and u have a full cat back at the house u normally run.. its a BIG BIG fine...... the book says all factory equipment.... ie cats bla bla and exit in the factory style location..hell if ur truck had a bed cover.. it has to exit the rear or sides they consider it a cabin space lol ****** retarted... . on our cars it will will "pass" if it exits anywhere on the sides or rear of the car nuthing else... and headers are legal... ie carb legal numbers stamped onto most headers.. and everything is to the inspectors best judgement though but a trooper will bust ur ***
punctuation is your friend... that **** hurts my eyes
Old 07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

if it hurts dont read it this isnt english class...
Old 07-03-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. I'm needing an OBD II inspection here pretty soon. But maybe I should just find a "friendly" shop.