Engineering Majors

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
Those 20 hrs are doable at UT, but finals time will suck. Don't cram in a bunch of the engineering classes in the future though or you will be hurting. I graduated in 3.5 years at UT + summer school and wish I would have just taken an extra semester. Enjoy college as long as you can . Don't rush to finish in less than a 8 semester workload if you can. Good luck
Oh I've enjoyed college plenty. I took 4 years plus a victory lap to finish my biology degree lol. After working for a year doing something you hate you pretty much get a fire lit under your ***. Needless to say I'm very motivated.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Statics is not that bad if you get the right teacher
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

As far as switching from petro to mechanical it just seems like a safer bet in the long run. Who knows what's going to happen with all these tree huggers around. There's plenty of oil.....
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by 7420NW7TH
but wait five years when this bubble we are sitting on (in the oil patch) blows. Weeeeee......back down to reality.....
With the huge increase in demand in China & India, I don't see the demand for oil going down. As more people in those countries move up into the middle class, you can bet once they get a taste of it, they will not be going back to un-air conditioned homes & bicycles. With the world as a whole more dependent on oil, a slump here isn't going to affect most people in the field because the companies based here do so much global business. So, even if we have a slump, you can take that petro degree & find a nice job in another country for a little while if you had to. And if you think an ME doesn't pay decent, from what I've seen, the salaries are getting pretty nice for an experienced ME these days. Reminds me, I need to register for some classes.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBaron
As far as switching from petro to mechanical it just seems like a safer bet in the long run. Who knows what's going to happen with all these tree huggers around. There's plenty of oil.....
You are correct. Both offer competitive starting salaries, both are in high demand. But, I've yet to meet an oil executive with a petrol eng degree, about all of them are mechanicals that worked their way up through project management. Not too many project managers are petrol engrs, those tend to go into the more analytical/design/testing departments.

If you want the higher salary, you need to manage people and money. That would be project management.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You are correct. Both offer competitive starting salaries, both are in high demand. But, I've yet to meet an oil executive with a petrol eng degree, about all of them are mechanicals that worked their way up through project management. Not too many project managers are petrol engrs, those tend to go into the more analytical/design/testing departments.

If you want the higher salary, you need to manage people and money. That would be project management.
I was planning on getting my MBA after a few years of work. Would you recommend that?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
10-Second Club

A masters is always great. Most managers have them or end up getting them before moving into higher level management positions. It definitely won't hurt you.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Modsquad
And if you think an ME doesn't pay decent, from what I've seen, the salaries are getting pretty nice for an experienced ME these days.
Yeah, I know
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Nine Ball, all other things aside would it be more difficult to move up because I have a petro degree rather than a mech? Assuming I have an MBA...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nine Ball, all other things aside would it be more difficult to move up because I have a petro degree rather than a mech? Assuming I have an MBA...
If they see you as good talent, it doesn't matter if it is Petro or Mech
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

I would think that depends on what type of industry you choose within the oil patch. In the service end of it (Halliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, etc) Mechanicals tend to rule. On the operations end (Chevron, Conoco, etc) PE's rule, but still plenty of opportunites for ME's also. Whats nice about the ME degree is that if you decide not to stay in the oil patch, you can always go do other things (Automotive, Aerospace, etc), but with a PE you are stuck in the oil patch whether you like it or not.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

ME = most versatile, like the poster above said. You can work in any industry with an ME degree. You can also work in any industry with project management experience. The Petrol Eng degree forces you to specialize, I didn't like that aspect of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have friends with Petro degrees. They work for small surface companies in OK and make killer money. One was offered 180K per year, Petro E with 3 years drilling experience. To be honest, you can do drilling with a Mech E degree, just have to get hired on.

The only thing I liked about Petro E was the starting salary. ME was more my style.