Guys with inground pools come in....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
PR Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys with inground pools come in....

I purchased a home with a pool and it is the first inground pool i have had. I got the whole maitenance thing down but my question to all of you with a little more experience. What do you do to prepare for heavy rain/storms/etc? When it pours the pool fills up and I would have to drain it to keep it from overflowing. Is it ok for it to overflow? There has to be an easier way to keep up with the pool whenever there is a heavy rain day. Thanks for your input.

Mike
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...we live out in the country...not any other houses around ...so normally we just let it over flow...doesnt really hurt anything in my opinion
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
PR Director

So I am assuming the whole backyard gets flooded? Once the rain stops do you drain it? Is your pump on when its overflowed?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

I live in a subdivision a nd i usually just let mine overflow also ,not a whole lot you can do about unless you go out in the middle of the storm and drain some out. I do let my pump run during a long storm seems to help kep it a little cleaner.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
PR Director

Yeah, I keep my pump on as well. Just wasn't sure if it was good for the pump when the water overflows and completely covers the skimmers.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Check your local pool store, they have something for this. My old pool would fill up to the top edge then the bilge pump would kick on and pump the water out. My bilge pump had a pipe that was buried under ground and the drainage water would be dispensed out in front of my house right by a gutter. Alot of hotels in Florida and by the shores are similar to this since they experience hurricanes alot.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

You should have an overfill drain on the side of the pool. Just leave it open and the pool shouldn't overfill even when it rains.

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

ive got an overlow drain in mine and its always open but the way the rain comes down so fast sometimes it cant keep up so it overflows!!if it gets real bad i connect a hose to my pool sweep and pump it out through there and its usually pretty quick too. you just have to keep an eye on it cause it will pump it out below the skimmers and thats not good for the pump itself!!

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
You should have an overfill drain on the side of the pool. Just leave it open and the pool shouldn't overfill even when it rains.

Quick Reply: Guys with inground pools come in....