New BS law about dropping classes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this applies to some of the HS kids who take dual-credit (credit for HS and college) classes.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

I think it is a little too harsh for the entire degree. They could have cut it down to 1 per year or something. Understood that people need to take school seriously but **** happens in life too. Im sure there is a way around it, they just dont want people to know that so they are more focused. But i agree with the rule, coz the more the state funds the school, the more taxes we have to bear. School is your choice, but also your responsibility. Btw, i always see a NBM TA at UTD, anyone on here?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SStreetmachine
I think it is a little too harsh for the entire degree. They could have cut it down to 1 per year or something. Understood that people need to take school seriously but **** happens in life too. Im sure there is a way around it, they just dont want people to know that so they are more focused. But i agree with the rule, coz the more the state funds the school, the more taxes we have to bear. School is your choice, but also your responsibility. Btw, i always see a NBM TA at UTD, anyone on here?
?? You get to drop 6 classes as an undergrad. . .Math was not one of the classes I dropped and I'm pretty sure that's more than 1 per year.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I wonder if this applies to some of the HS kids who take dual-credit (credit for HS and college) classes.
EXCLUDED COURSES FROM LIMIT
Drops from the following types of courses are excluded from the course drop limit.
• Courses taken by students while enrolled in high school – whether for dual credit or early admission. Once graduated from high school the drops will begin to count.
• Courses dropped at private or out-of-state institutions
• Remedial or developmental courses, workforce education courses, or other courses that would not generate undergraduate credit that could be applied to a degree
• Drops which meet the definition of a complete withdrawal

Source
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SStreetmachine
Im sure there is a way around it, they just dont want people to know that so they are more focused.
Originally Posted by Modsquad
I've had to struggle with school on several occasions because of my work schedule and having a boss that would say he'd work around my schedule...then not...or I'd have to work a lot of OT on a project & need to drop a class.
THE REQUEST FOR SIX-DROP EXEMPTION PROCESS
Students who feel that a drop should be exempt from the drop limit must complete the Request for Six-Drop Exemption Form and provide appropriate documentation to the Office of the Dean of Student Development prior to dropping the course. Students may request an exemption for any drop which meets good cause definition. This request must be made prior to dropping the course.
Exception and documentation requirements:

A) Severe illness or other debilitating condition: Statement from doctor

B) Care of a sick, injured or needy person: Statement from doctor regarding illness of the person being cared for. Statement from the sick, injured, or needy person regarding the student’s role as the care-giver or in case of a child, statement from the student

C) Death of family member or another person who is otherwise considered to have a sufficiently close relationship: Death certificate or obituary from newspaper.

D) Active duty service with the Texas National guard or other armed forces by the student, a family member, or a person who has a sufficiently close relationship: Orders from service

E) Change in work schedule that is beyond the control of the student: Letter from employer

F) Other good cause as determined by the institution

For the purposes of this section, please see the following definitions:

Family members – spouse, child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfathers, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece, first cousin, stepparent, step-child, or step-sibling
Sufficiently close relationship – this relationship can include a relative with the third degree of consanguinity plus close friends including but not limited to roommates, housemates, classmates, or others identified by the student for approval of the institution on a case-by-case basis.

The Office of the Dean of Student Development will review the request form and documentation and determine if the request is granted. The Office of the Dean of Student Development will notify the student by email of the decision. If the request is granted, the Enrollment Services will update the student’s record and award grades of W. The decision of the Office of Student Development is final.

Last edited by Slo-Mo-Shun; 08-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's a great law.

You have students taking classes in these very competitive programs then dropping when they find out they might have to settle for a B which would drop their GPA and kick them out of the program.

There is no excuse for needing to take a class four times to get an A. Every time you register and drop a class that is one seat that couldn't be sat in by someone like myself trying to get through college and get their degree and move on with their life. Or someone vying for that last seat in a super competitive program that they can excel at.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
10-Second Club

Yea, but the majority of people dropping are not dropping because of a B, they are dropping because life gets in the way & they have to work or change their schedule. I guess in these circumstances, they should approach the dean & try to work something out though if there truly are extenuating circumstances.

You should never be knocked out of a program for making a B to begin with, that's just asinine no matter how competitive a program is, if you are passing that good & were able to meet the initial requirements to get in, that should be good enough.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Marc, read reply #25 above. Work schedule exempts you from the law. No excuses now, go finish your degree

BTW, we had the 2-drop limit on math and engineering courses when I went to school. Caused quite a few guys to change majors in my Jr-Sr. year. But, that is why not everyone can be an engineer, you actually have to bust your *** and put the hours in to complete the degree. I think it is a good rule to have, it sure made me take things more serious.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Yea, but the majority of people dropping are not dropping because of a B, they are dropping because life gets in the way & they have to work or change their schedule. I guess in these circumstances, they should approach the dean & try to work something out though if there truly are extenuating circumstances.

You should never be knocked out of a program for making a B to begin with, that's just asinine no matter how competitive a program is, if you are passing that good & were able to meet the initial requirements to get in, that should be good enough.
For my Kineseology degree I have to take Anatomy & Pysiology I&II. This class also happens to be one of the required classes for anybody who wants to enter a nursing program (Which also means the classes are loaded with ladies.) Apparently, some of the good nursing programs are extremely competitive. The way it was explained to me is that they generally only except the top 10% of all applicants. My professor told our class that what that means is that you generally need at least a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA and some good recommendations to get accepted.

It kind of sucks you have to make a 4.0 just to get into the program, but if thats the way the system works then those are the rules you've gotta play by. The sooner you realize and accept that the better off you'll be.

And besides, if you can't make a 4.0 at San Jac you shouldn't have a highschool diploma anyways.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Ben, why are you going to college to get a kin-e degree for? Come on man, use that college fund for a more lucrative degree plan. Hell, even nursing that you mentioned would be better.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM
10-Second Club

That really sucks for nursing school since there seems to be a shortage of nurses...you'd think they'd be letting more people in.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

For the new kids in school, I think this law is great. Going to make a LOT of people question their purpose in college and get down on the grind. I know I would have appreciated it when I was a freshman going into college. Oh well, two years and my engineering degree will be in my hand. Can not WAIT.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

That really sucks for nursing school since there seems to be a shortage of nurses...you'd think they'd be letting more people in.
The shortage/demand is what makes their pay so excellent right now. I doubt you will find any current nurses complaining that there aren't enough nurses. Job security and the ability to pick your own hours, and fat paychecks.

Plus, you wouldn't want some crappy nursing grad with a crappy GPA taking care of you or your family, would you?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
10-Second Club

Pay depends a lot on experience as well....and a lot of them make good money because they either work from agencies doing contract work, work lots of OT, or have just been doing it long enough to be in the high $3x dollar range and some even around $40 an hour. My ex made about $90k working at St. Luke's full time & MD Anderson a few shifts each month. With the raises she got & now that she's single & pulling more OT, she will easily break $100k this year with nothing more than a bachelors degree. I know lots of folks with their masters that don't even make what I do, much less 6 figs.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Ben, why are you going to college to get a kin-e degree for? Come on man, use that college fund for a more lucrative degree plan. Hell, even nursing that you mentioned would be better.
I'm going to get a Masters in Exercise Pysiology (One of the two degree tracks for Kineseology) and a Masters in Sports Nutrition.

I spent my first two years in college trying to figure our what I wanted to do. I dabbled in a Business degree, an ME and EE degree, but nothing of that nature could hold my interest. Kin-E is one of the few things I can stay interested in. I genuinely enjoy studying it.

Gotta do what you love. It might not make me rich, but money isn't that important to me. I do work at a car shop, afterall, lol.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
I think that only applies to students that are starting there college classes for the first time after Fall of 2007.

If you have taken classes before then or have registered with SanJac before Fall 2007 then you are exempt from that rule. Thats what I get from that.

So have you taken clases before Fall of 2007? Double check and call one of the advisors @ SanJac. Although you probably wont get much help from them, I never do.

The 6 drop limit applies to me. It sucks but keeps me focused on school a lot more.

Jon

This guy is correct.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

i finished nursing school in jan and i think its a good law, to be honest i was appaulled at how easy some of the basic classes were because IMO some of the people that were there shouldnt be there. My chem class had an awesome teacher that actually covered the material he was supposed to and more then 1/2 the class dropped out cause of this. Some people arent made for college and some are. Nursing school was semi challenging didnt have to study until the last 2 semesters. It is also nice that you have to pass state boards after your done...im all for making the basic classes harder to weed out the slackers who are just going cause their parents want them too