03-05 viper or c6z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That might be true, but you have an LS2 C6. The thread is about the C6Z. Try boosting one of those up to 700 rwhp reliably, the LS2 is better for that. Just like the '04-06 Viper is better at using boost than the '08 Viper.
Your right about the LS7. Doesn't handle much boost at all.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

In long term mods wise, with boost and the same power level that is being tossed around, sounds like the Viper is more friendly towards this.

2 different cars, two different plans of attack can be made on either or when acheiving a 700+ horse. Some plans of attack respond better between the 2 cars. Regardless of the mods.

Money is give or take. Depending on the upgrades.

Longevity wise, and for that reason alone I would go with the Viper.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
I have a new job lined up and with my newfound wealth i am thinking of selling my car and either getting around an 06 or 07 c6z, or an 03-05 viper.

There seems to be an abundance of both cars with mods for mid to low 50's.
The insurance would be in my parents name, otherwise my insurance now would be more than i wanted to pay.

So you have new found wealth but insurance under your parents name?

Please explain?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StewartZ
So you have new found wealth but insurance under your parents name?

Please explain?
Apply your logic.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

I think the ol,d GTS was the most disapointing car i've ever drivin.hated the way it handled,wasn't fast,and looks like **** inside.As far as the outside goes,i prefer the c6z anyday.If your the type of guy that needs a car to get ***** than the viper is your car.The c6z is by far the better car all around IMO.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
post some pics Tiago. Let me know when you want to order some wheels too
I posted some in multimedia:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/963276-finally-got-my-viper.html

Im looking at wheels everyday. What do you have access to?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I didnt say i didnt pay it. It has always been in my parents name. Can you imagine viper insurance at 23. Thanks for the info guys, but i dont think some of you read what i wrote. I didnt ask what your preference would be on either car, and i dont need you to imply some stupid **** about buying a car to get laid. maybe your the type of guy that needs a camaro race car, to blow dudes. idk. Read the post fucktard.

Look at nine ball's posts, they have to do with mods on his car, and the power it makes. How the drivetrain is stock and it handles the power without a problem. I wrote i am done with the heads and cam thing, Its fine for a race car but not a car i drive around, besides that fact, it wont make enough power for me. I like the driveability and power from boost, and I dont want to do a massive amount of mods to either car, like messing with a 13k ls7. At least that's the plan. I just want to bolt on some sort of forced induction and make a decent amount of power reliably without having to modify or replace everything on the car.

Most people just bolt on a paxton or roe supercharger to a viper and it makes almost 700rwhp. I want to know if it is reliable at that level. Is there a weak link in the drivetrain, will it hold up to drag racing every once in a while, does the clutch have to be replaced. What about the c6z. Can it handle boost at all reliably? What about the drivetrain, I know there is a problem with the half shafts breaking, is it the same on the c6z? I have read magazines on the handling of the cars some people say the viper feels easier to push harder. Someone said the brakes were junk. I am asking technical questions about the cars, not getting chicks.

And as far as installing a supercharger I think that i can handle it on my own. I have swapped engines in my c5, and two camaros, installed heads and cam packages, and a supercharger on a truck, (which was by far the easiest).

Thanks to the people that read my post and had something to say pertaining to it. For the people that have stupid comments to make you can stfu.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

At 750 rwhp the Viper is extremely reliable.

The clutch will be fine for drag racing if the car is on drag radial or street tire. The half shafts in the Viper are actually stronger than the Vette, and the Gen IIIs will not have any issues again, if on street tire or drag radials.

The brakes on the VIPER are some of the best on ANY production car. Again, Gen III. Actually the brakes are one of its best attributes. Handling is phenomenal.

Adding boost to it is great, maybe change gears but even the stock 3:07s at 700+ will be ok.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Also hey nine ball you said that you have tracked both cars. Which do you think handles better. I am asking because some magazines say that the viper is easier to push harder around a track. And to the guy that said the viper was snug, In my post i wrote that i was 6'3 260. What do you mean when you say it is snug. Are you talking about the seats or is the car actually not tall enough. That might decide right there if i cant fit in it.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

The Vette's half shafts can brake on a drag radial, but should be fine on street tires.

The clutch in the Z06 are not very good for drag radial launches either, the brakes are great and almost on par with the viper's, but not quite. LG Motorsports actually changes the calipers to help reduce cost of the brake pad set ups on the z, as well as improving the braking ability.

If you are a big person, the Vette may be best. I really don't know how Tiago fits in his.

The Vette likes to rev quicker and higher so will give you a great power band vs the viper, and the sound is definitely better on the z.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Teching In

The seats will probably fit you fine, but you will HAVE TO do the 2" lowering kit for the seat to fit in it. I'm short so it is easy to fit in the Viper for me.

The Vette is a little more edgy on track, but still very capable. The Viper is more solid and predictable on track. Some people prefer the edginess of the Vette, but most will be more comfortable tracking a Viper as it really has a great chassis.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Thats what i wanted to hear, or read. I'm looking at 03-05, but i see they only had convertibles till 05 which i dont want. So when you put slicks on it what breaks?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Talking

I don't even have the seat lowering kit done yet... its doable in stock form .. lol

Coming from two previous vettes and riding in friends vette for comparison on the same day. If you want a car with ammenities and comfort but that has compromises in performance, get the vette.

The vette felt like a caddillac after driving the viper. I was extremely impressed with the viper's handling and braking stock. Power is nice too, but the 3.08 gears really tame the V10 down.

Last edited by Tiago; 08-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Teching In

06 is the only year Viper Gen III that has a hard top.

Slicks will require a change of rear brakes, they are 14" rotors so you can only run 18's even after modifications to the emergency brake cables.

They can break half shafts and smoke the clutch. The transmission at that level won't be too far behind either with slicks.

The Vette can brake the half shafts, rear end case, ring and pinion, possibly transmission. I don't think you have to change brakes. But I believe you have to get a 17" tire as the smallest option.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Oh, and the clutch is the same thing in the Vette, actually it will give up the ghost much sooner than the viper
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

hey tiago i see you're in houston. I know someone with a c6z that will let me drive it but i dont know anyone with a viper. I'm not asking if you will let me drive it. I dont know any of you guys, but if any of you, nine ball, tiago, anyone else around this houston area with a viper is going to a meet, i would appreciate a ride in it or if you would let me sit in the driver seat. I just want to get an idea of how the car is all around. thanks again for the information.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
Also hey nine ball you said that you have tracked both cars. Which do you think handles better. I am asking because some magazines say that the viper is easier to push harder around a track. And to the guy that said the viper was snug, In my post i wrote that i was 6'3 260. What do you mean when you say it is snug. Are you talking about the seats or is the car actually not tall enough. That might decide right there if i cant fit in it.
The bf is 6'5 and he fits fine into our gts without the lowering kit, bc I would not be able to drive it then. I actually raised the pedals on it without him knowing and he could still drive it fine.

Lauren
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Teching In

GTS is worlds different than the Gen III as far as head room stock. The GTS fits larger people MUCH easier
Old 08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Gray (BigBronco) is something like 6-3 260 and he was able to drive my Viper just fine on the 3,500 mile Power Tour. He drove most of the time. Snug fit for sure, but he got used to it and it was comfortable. They sell 2" seat lowering kits for Vipers, mine doesn't have that though. Leg room isn't an issue at all in Vipers though, they have a ton of leg length under the dash (adjustable pedals)

I would not recommend either car for drag racing though, they are just completely wrong for doing that very well. Put that same power in front of a solid axle car and it is 10x more fun. What they do excel at is highway runs and road racing. Go do a few open track days and you will find that drag racing is quite boring by comparison. I never thought I'd say that, but now I've done both. I logged over 1,500 1/4-mile passes in my LS1 Formula.

As for handling, the cars drive completely different on a road course. The C6 was easier to drive, it has a few electronic nannies to keep you in order. It was a point-n-shoot car and brought on a lot of confidence. Even a novice driver could look like a pro in the C6. The Viper demands you to pay attention and really get to know your car. It will get sideways much sooner (no electronics, more torque) and the steering is more responsive. You have to make the Viper your bitch and drive it with skill, otherwise it will bite you in a hurry. It feels more like a racecar than a Corvette does.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

not recommended for drag racing?

what other cars have gone 7s in the 1/4 mile with 6 speed and full interior and AC? I.e. Not chopped up?

it gets r dun