03-05 viper or c6z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 03-05 viper or c6z?

I have a new job lined up and with my newfound wealth i am thinking of selling my car and either getting around an 06 or 07 c6z, or an 03-05 viper.
I want to know if anyone has experience with both, or either cars. The thing is i dont want to end up with 50k in my car and its only worth 20k, and i also prefer the look of the c6z and viper better, but i dont know the modability of the c6z's or viper's, and I am tired of going all motor. It never seems to be fast enough anyways. The problem I have with the c6z is it doesnt seem to handle boost well, and the na number dont impress me that much. Especially at the expense of driveability.
It looks like you can throw a paxton on a viper and make almost 700rwhp on the stock engine and not have to worry about blowing it up. My problem is I dont like the way the viper sounds, and although the c6z catches flack for the interior, the viper interior looks real cheap. It also appears to be small, but i dont know if it is, and i am 6'3 and 260lbs and dont want to be cramped up.
I am really just looking for info on both cars all around. I Also want to know which one has a beefier drivetrain for drag racing, and just pro's and cons of each car. I also dont want to push a 14k ls7 anywhere near it's breaking point, or swap engines. Not looking to mod more than 10k over the price of the car at this time.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the numbers fool you. A 550 rwhp c6z is brutally fast.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Launching!

C6Z is more practical for every day driving.

They take mods very well and are less expensive to mod.

Cam only you can get 530rwhp. Slap a 150 shot and you are at your "700rwhp mark".

Plus you save ALOT more on insurance compared to the viper.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

^^^^agree
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Vipers seem to hold their resale value a lot better then 'Vettes.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Not the mention the raw sex appeal of the Viper. Every knucklehead with eyeballs stares at a Viper. It takes a car guy to notice a Z.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Viper
Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Launching!

I am at 500rw and it feels slooow. I have a 79 malibu that i am going to make a drag car so i dont want to ruin the driveability of a nice car, by doing heads and cam stuff. And nitrous is pushing a 13k engine a little too far for my liking. i want stock like driveability with 6-700rwhp. I will probably eventually get a built motor but not at first. I would just drive the car with what ever mods i bought the cars with, or just do bolt on's. There seems to be an abundance of both cars with mods for mid to low 50's.
The insurance would be in my parents name, otherwise my insurance now would be more than i wanted to pay. Also does anyone know if viper's have wheel hop, or if there is an exhaust system that doesnt sound like it belongs to a 94 si.

Last edited by Nwmembr19; 08-12-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

I don't have either but if you can afford the "viper tax" I would go for it. I would prefer the Gen II GTS models though.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to daily drive get a vette, if you want a weekend car get a viper ( im particular to the GTS line )
Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

get a c6z06
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

A Viper coupe is going to be snug with your physical size. Convertible, probably not so bad. The C6Z is a much better daily-driver, it is easier to get in/out of, more interior space, more trunk space, and 'blends in' better within a parking lot. This may help deter vandals or thieves.

My insurance on the Viper is about the same as my previous C6, maybe $20 month different. I have a clean record.

Resale value is far better on a Viper. Even the old ones are still hovering in the $30K-40K range. They don't seem to go below that unless they are worn out or mistreated. Corvettes drop down to the teens eventually. Keep in mind that the '01 Z06 was a $50K car brand new, and now they can be had for $20K. The C6Z will probably get down to the $35K range and hover, eventually.

Gawk factor or curb appeal, there is no contest there. Only GM enthusiasts can tell the difference between a base C6 and a Z. The majority of the public sees them all as the same type of car. The Viper is unmistakable, everyone instantly recognizes what they are. If you do not like attention, do not get a Viper. I had a badass C6, when C6's first came out. It got a lot of attention. The Viper gets 10x the amount of attention that car did. Again, probably not the best for a daily-driver due to that fact. The majority of the automotive world considers the Viper an exotic car. They rank them up there with Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari and the likes. It is a low budget exotic, but held in the same impressive regards. They will never consider the Z06 in the same realm, even though its performance is truly deserving of the status. I guess most of the non-GM car enthusiasts still remember the old Corvettes being poor performers.

Neither car is very fun to drag race. They don't yank the wheels, which is the only fun part about drag racing to me. I can do way over my trap speeds on the beltway on any given day, so trap speeds do not phase me much. Get either car on a road race track, and you will be in love with either. Drag racing will seem boring by comparison (unless you are running 9s or quicker, perhaps not)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Get a C6 and Procharge it. Thats what I did, best mod ever!! With the new cam it should be around 700ish. Just my couple of pennies.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

I had the same 2 cars going threw my head to buy recently, I like them both but after some thought I realized that I like the C5 frc look alot better then the C6Z and the Viper. If I would get either of the 2 it would be the Viper, they are stronger and just look pimper! I decided I will either going with a BMW M6, or Porsche turbo if I dont keep my car.
Matt
Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
A Viper coupe is going to be snug with your physical size. Convertible, probably not so bad. The C6Z is a much better daily-driver, it is easier to get in/out of, more interior space, more trunk space, and 'blends in' better within a parking lot. This may help deter vandals or thieves.

My insurance on the Viper is about the same as my previous C6, maybe $20 month different. I have a clean record.

Resale value is far better on a Viper. Even the old ones are still hovering in the $30K-40K range. They don't seem to go below that unless they are worn out or mistreated. Corvettes drop down to the teens eventually. Keep in mind that the '01 Z06 was a $50K car brand new, and now they can be had for $20K. The C6Z will probably get down to the $35K range and hover, eventually.

Gawk factor or curb appeal, there is no contest there. Only GM enthusiasts can tell the difference between a base C6 and a Z. The majority of the public sees them all as the same type of car. The Viper is unmistakable, everyone instantly recognizes what they are. If you do not like attention, do not get a Viper. I had a badass C6, when C6's first came out. It got a lot of attention. The Viper gets 10x the amount of attention that car did. Again, probably not the best for a daily-driver due to that fact. The majority of the automotive world considers the Viper an exotic car. They rank them up there with Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari and the likes. It is a low budget exotic, but held in the same impressive regards. They will never consider the Z06 in the same realm, even though its performance is truly deserving of the status. I guess most of the non-GM car enthusiasts still remember the old Corvettes being poor performers.

Neither car is very fun to drag race. They don't yank the wheels, which is the only fun part about drag racing to me. I can do way over my trap speeds on the beltway on any given day, so trap speeds do not phase me much. Get either car on a road race track, and you will be in love with either. Drag racing will seem boring by comparison (unless you are running 9s or quicker, perhaps not)
wasnt the viper a 60k car also.a vette with the same mods will drag a vip any day."some will"but like the guy said a vip is a vip.not just a c6 with a wider body.it realy takes a car guy to know a z06.if i was going to buy on it would probely be a viper but it is also 20k more.priced a 08 viper 80k.08z06 62.5k so its realy up to want you want..
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Launching!

I do not plan on daily driving it. I'm going to get a beater and drive that around. What about The viper drivetrain? Isnt it supposed to be stronger than the c6, or am i wrong. I dont plan to hit the strip alot but i want to know if i can throw a pair of slicks on and not worry about breaking. Also i know the viper gets more attention but that's not going to be a huge factor. I actually think an atomic orange c6z with 360 forged wheels is hard to beat in the looks department. I want to know which car is going to be the better more reliable performer with minimal mods. Can the stock ls7 take low boost reliably, and which drivetrain can take more abuse. Also i dont want to autocross a 50k car. I have a 79 malibu that is going to receive a turbo lq9 for a race car. I just want a nice sports car to drive, that has enough nuts to beat most everything on the street without having to do a big buildup and beef up this and that and spend another 20k. Thanks for the responses so far. Keep em coming.

Last edited by Nwmembr19; 08-13-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

my op c6 sounds like the way to go for you but don't listen anyone.go for what you want you are the one driving it not us..
Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Teching In

ide take a viper gts (96-02?) over the new vipers.. the new may be faster but the old ones look so much better in my opinion.

96-02 GTS>c6z06>my99FRC>03-09 Viper
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to disagree when looking at them side by side. The older GTS looks dated next to the SRT coupe. The newer one has sharper edges and appears smaller.

As far as drivetrains, the Viper is more stout underneath. Compare the differential pumpkins, half shafts, A-arms, etc... and the Viper is more robust. But, that also makes it weigh more too. C6Z = 3200, Viper = 3400
Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Launching!

My imagination or does it look like the Viper on the right could use a little of that plastic lens cleaner/restorer?