any computer techs in here ...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any computer techs in here ...?

my dell laptop is acting up...It wont charge if i put the charger in it and i push down on the charger pin. it will charge. but withought that extra pressure on the charger pin it wont charge. Any ideas?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

From the sounds of it. The female end of of the charger (inside the laptop)could be loose.

Or

it could be that the chord is severed internally near the head of the charger.

Try getting a charger from best buy and test it. If it works without applying pressure...great. If you still need to apply pressure then it's the laptop for sure. Take charger back.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Launching!

i no it is not the charger i tried a friends and it did the same thing. the weird thing is that i wrapped the cord around my laptop to keep pressure applied and it did charge about half wayand then it broke my charrger, it like burned it out or something because now my charger wont work on any computer.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you apply too much force to where it could have damaged the head of the charger? Another issue may be your battery. A bad battery may not be able to be charged.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Launching!

i diddnt apply that much force to where it woul dbreak the charger....but the battery would charge up so i dont think it would be the battery.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

That connector is actually attached to a printed circuit board in the laptop. If it got hit or dropped or bent too far, it could actually crack the connections internally. I've had more than one instance where I've had to break open a laptop and re-solder the A/C adapter connector and even run some wire to repair broken traces.

This may not be your problem, but it is certainly possible.

Another possibility is the contacts in the connector are worn and not making good ground.

Either way, it sounds like you are going to need a tech to take a closer look at it.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

ive had my 1505 dell for a year and i never use the the battery more than a few min. but it is bad already. may not be your problem but the charging system sucks
Old 08-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

any idea on how much it will cost to repair at the shop?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Teching In

well, to give you an idea.

When something similar like this happened to my stepmothers toshiba, we called and asked if they did repairs on the motherboard and they said no, they just replace. So when we asked how much it would be, it was cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Call dell, if you wanna go that route, ask what their policy and price is. If its ridiculous, then call up a local shop. Just be careful because people can **** up soldering pretty easily. After having worked in a manufacturing plant ive seen alot of really bad solder jobs so i like to see some work before i just trust them to put in a new adapter
Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Burninator
well, to give you an idea.

When something similar like this happened to my stepmothers toshiba, we called and asked if they did repairs on the motherboard and they said no, they just replace. So when we asked how much it would be, it was cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Call dell, if you wanna go that route, ask what their policy and price is. If its ridiculous, then call up a local shop. Just be careful because people can **** up soldering pretty easily. After having worked in a manufacturing plant ive seen alot of really bad solder jobs so i like to see some work before i just trust them to put in a new adapter
Exactly. Even warranty service only covers "FRUs" or Field Replaceable Units because it's real easy to screw something up if you don't know what you're doing. I'm an electronics engineer, so I Mickey Mouse stuff all the time, but good luck finding a shop to do this. Even Dell service that you pay for would more than likely swap the motherboard and not repair it, especially if the PCB is cracked.

But this is all worst-case scenario. If there are spring-loaded contacts that are mashed and not making good connection, then a dentist's pick could be all you need to get in there and bend them back. No way to tell without seeing the type of connector. Take a close-up, high-res picture of the connector.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

search the net. easy fix for about hundred bucks. I had to have an hp from work fixed about a year ago. I dont remember the company name, however there are sevral out there.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Teching In

If its a through-hole component then its a quick desolder, resolder. The part probably cost less then a dollar as its not anything significant and should probably take MAYBE 10 minutes if you get someone really slow.

Its not a hard thing to do, its just hard to find someone to do it, and do it well