Hurricane IKE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure hope i get a $2,000 "debik" card after this hurricane.

"Who u gots to axe ta git one of dem cards?"
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

I responded like that because his original post was full of HTML code
Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

I'm still here on the water in Seabrook. Hell it's party time, getting the kayake ready for the waves, lol...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

"Sure, I've slapped (TEXAS)... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her"--Hurricane Ike

LOL
Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

I hit the grocery store at 11am and it was already a mad house! I'm sure it'll be mayhem for the folks that can't go until after 5pm.

We're all stocked up and ready to ride this on out. I just hope that the local news stations are over-predicting.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Teching In

i tried to find gas in the clear lake no luck at all. im alomst out in my camaro lucky my d/d is on full. good luck through everything guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Launching!

I have to be at work from 7am tomorrow till monday But at least its all overtime
Old 09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

All the gas stations on HWY 90 hiked the gas prices up by $0.30. Its BS.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Ill be staying here in katy, We are boarding the windows and putting my hot rod (even tho its stock ) in the garage and I hope it doesnt flood, I already had to help fix a flooded house this summer and its a bitch to do. STAY SAFE EVERYONE !
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redsox_ws6

"Sure, I've slapped (TEXAS)... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her"--Hurricane Ike

LOL
Funniest thing ive seen all day.........

Getting gas was no fun this morning.......
Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

got called into work. hopefully they wont have me staying long. said a few hours but we all know how that goes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck texas peeps...Stay safe
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Here's an idea for some of you......evacuate to where it's safe....New Orleans.

Back in 2005 I got one of those "checks" from the government as an evacuee from ..... New Orleans. Strange thing was it didn't come close to handling the bills my wife and family incurred while facing mandatory evacuation from New Orleans for 4 weeks.

I returned home after a month and actually watched a very good friend of mine completely break down crying. A married, 59 year old business associate with 4 children still either in college or at home. His home, located in the very nice lakefront area flooded with nearly 12 feet of water. He lost EVERYTHING he owned, except for a vehicle in which the family evacuated. I'll never forget him telling me that you can't fully understand the impact of the losses, that he didn't even have a screwdriver left. EVERYTHING was either gone or destoyed.

This person missed exactly ZERO days of work. I was his employer at the time. He came in every morning on time and rarely left early. His family was forced to live a single bedroom apartment which he was extremely grateful to have (6 people, all over 16 years of age, in a one bedroom apartment). Many could not find housing at all. My wife and I personally helped him for the first couple of months. We would drop off bags of groceries and provide what relief we could. The government was so screwed up, as was his insurance carrier (State Farm), that he was receiving no financial assistance.

Immediately upon returning home, he had to make a house payment on a house that no longer existed. The next 4 months were waived by his mortgage company, but then the payments resumed. No home but a mortgage payment due. If he didn't pay, his credit would be destroyed. Pretty tough to buy or build a new home when paying for one that is no longer inhabitable.

Within 4 months, 2 of his children were experiencing severe depression issues. No school, no friends returned, no home, no stores within miles of the devastated areas, no nothing....

It took this "evacuee" nearly 2 years before he replaced his home. His retirement funds were heavily damaged. His insurance company screwed him in the end, cheating him out of money on insurance technicalities. His life has never returned back to "normal" as you and I know normal.

This same scene was the reality of nearly 200,000 others in New Orleans. Good, hard working, quality people who's only mistake in life was being born and raised in a city that suffered due to levee failures ravaged by a massive hurricane.

I was one of them also. I moved to Katy and started over as well. You never have, and won't hear me crying to anyone about the problems we personally suffered through following Katrina.

I understand "some" of the comments posted here about the criminals who came to Houston. I agree those ******* deserved to be shot. I would have loved to eliminate a few of them myself. I DO NOT understand the comments made by some of you who wish harm on our sister city or the many good families still there trying to rebuild shattered lives. Many Houstonians were raised in Louisiana, including New Orleans.

If you have an ******* in your extended family, it wouldn't be right to condemn you and your whole family. Should we kill you and the entire family because of the *******, or wish bad intentions on the whole family?

Try to show some class, and if that is impossible, then just say nothing.

Let's pray IKE isn't another Katrina. Good luck Houston.

Later,

Tim
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tcr98taws6
Here's an idea for some of you......evacuate to where it's safe....New Orleans.

Back in 2005 I got one of those "checks" from the government as an evacuee from ..... New Orleans. Strange thing was it didn't come close to handling the bills my wife and family incurred while facing mandatory evacuation from New Orleans for 4 weeks.

I returned home after a month and actually watched a very good friend of mine completely break down crying. A married, 59 year old business associate with 4 children still either in college or at home. His home, located in the very nice lakefront area flooded with nearly 12 feet of water. He lost EVERYTHING he owned, except for a vehicle in which the family evacuated. I'll never forget him telling me that you can't fully understand the impact of the losses, that he didn't even have a screwdriver left. EVERYTHING was either gone or destoyed.

This person missed exactly ZERO days of work. I was his employer at the time. He came in every morning on time and rarely left early. His family was forced to live a single bedroom apartment which he was extremely grateful to have (6 people, all over 16 years of age, in a one bedroom apartment). Many could not find housing at all. My wife and I personally helped him for the first couple of months. We would drop off bags of groceries and provide what relief we could. The government was so screwed up, as was his insurance carrier (State Farm), that he was receiving no financial assistance.

Immediately upon returning home, he had to make a house payment on a house that no longer existed. The next 4 months were waived by his mortgage company, but then the payments resumed. No home but a mortgage payment due. If he didn't pay, his credit would be destroyed. Pretty tough to buy or build a new home when paying for one that is no longer inhabitable.

Within 4 months, 2 of his children were experiencing severe depression issues. No school, no friends returned, no home, no stores within miles of the devastated areas, no nothing....

It took this "evacuee" nearly 2 years before he replaced his home. His retirement funds were heavily damaged. His insurance company screwed him in the end, cheating him out of money on insurance technicalities. His life has never returned back to "normal" as you and I know normal.

This same scene was the reality of nearly 200,000 others in New Orleans. Good, hard working, quality people who's only mistake in life was being born and raised in a city that suffered due to levee failures ravaged by a massive hurricane.

I was one of them also. I moved to Katy and started over as well. You never have, and won't hear me crying to anyone about the problems we personally suffered through following Katrina.

I understand "some" of the comments posted here about the criminals who came to Houston. I agree those ******* deserved to be shot. I would have loved to eliminate a few of them myself. I DO NOT understand the comments made by some of you who wish harm on our sister city or the many good families still there trying to rebuild shattered lives. Many Houstonians were raised in Louisiana, including New Orleans.

If you have an ******* in your extended family, it wouldn't be right to condemn you and your whole family. Should we kill you and the entire family because of the *******, or wish bad intentions on the whole family?

Try to show some class, and if that is impossible, then just say nothing.

Let's pray IKE isn't another Katrina. Good luck Houston.

Later,

Tim
I agree, fellow Gonzales, La. boy here. I moved a year before Katrina, or Rita hit.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

screw it i'm parking my car in a concrete parking garage and sitting in my townhouse with a case of beer and margarita's and take some cool pictures
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like were going to get a direct hit, Hope everyone is safe
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Curveball TECH

I like the parking garage idea, but I would be pissed the f off if I came back to get it and a POS tow truck did work on it.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well put Tim.

That was a gut wrenching description that shook me pretty hard. Wow!

Thanks man. Too many of us do need a reality check.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lswon!!
screw it i'm parking my car in a concrete parking garage and sitting in my townhouse with a case of beer and margarita's and take some cool pictures
i was thinking the same thing, find a parking garage and drive my vehicles to the top roof, what ever it costs me, will be cheaper than having flooded vehicles and all are lsx powered.
allison got me last time in my 383 lt1
its not gonna happen again
Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

you houston guys need to get up here to San Antonio Austin area we'll keep yeah safe!

Quick Reply: Hurricane IKE Thread