Texas Business Owners: Is Work Slow for You?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if your talking about if business is slow these past weeks or these past months but all I can say is Saturday after Mr. Ike decided to leave, I opened up my store and had the busiest day I have ever had in two years I've been operating it. All of my competitors were closed and nobody had anything to do. Anything that was on the shelf that was about to expire or had no shelf life but was stagnent there for a long time jumped off. It looked like a tornado was inside the store after that weekend. Insult to injury to my competitors, they didn't have electricity till after a few days ago while I've been operating everyday, so have we been slow the last few weeks, h3ll no!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WizeAss
Not yet, but just like after 9-11 things take awhile to slow down in our industry.... business owners start cutting the best assets in a recession or down economy before they get rid of resources (employees that they can't utilize etc).

Guess they all have soft hearts.
OK, please explain that last statement because I did not understand what the heck you just said.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work for a pipeline inspection company, its been slower than usual.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
it is on low boost

My company is basically sponsored by ExxonMobil, Chevron, and BP so I am having record high months/days... Keep driving your Corvettes and Camaros and I will be just fine!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every time a well is drilled, out company makes money. Drilling is happening, money is making.

-Rick
Old 09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Im a new/used car sales consultant in wichita falls. We sold 50 cars at the last week of the month in august. The rest of the month was awful. We were doing well in the first two weeks of this month but it has been painfully low since then. We really need a decent push at the end of this month to make much. But overall buisness in wichita has been decent.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Not sure if your talking about if business is slow these past weeks or these past months but all I can say is Saturday after Mr. Ike decided to leave, I opened up my store and had the busiest day I have ever had in two years I've been operating it. All of my competitors were closed and nobody had anything to do. Anything that was on the shelf that was about to expire or had no shelf life but was stagnent there for a long time jumped off. It looked like a tornado was inside the store after that weekend. Insult to injury to my competitors, they didn't have electricity till after a few days ago while I've been operating everyday, so have we been slow the last few weeks, h3ll no!
What kind of business is this?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a Mobile Mechanic business and it has been really slow! We have over 300 clients and everyone seems to be pinching every penny, and I understand why. It's just scary because this income was twice as much as we're bringing in now! And my Insurance at work just went from $33 a month to $75! Eek!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't own the business, but I'm in a position where I look at the incoming orders, $ shipped, order backlog $ in house, and sales data regularly. Sales are definately down, but it could be from a number of other factors.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil and Gas dumdumdum. 80hrs last week and company I work for has a over a few billion in back log. Weak US dollar gets countrys comming here
Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
OK, please explain that last statement because I did not understand what the heck you just said.
I was lit when I wrote that..... but I think I meant that:

Less business from lack of proper marketing during a down recession = less work for employees.

When work dies and employer should cut overhead and reduce labor charges. Continue investing in marketing and advertising since it has a significant ROI. Grab a scalpel and go to town...... When I handled the largest SME's in DFW I saw a common trend of this occurance.... I am so content with working with new business strictly now!

If I could count the times I heard: "Business is slow, we are cutting all of our advertising".

the best response was always: "was this in your business plan for this year or are you responding in this manner to retain your net profit? If so, let me show you how additional focused marketing can help you capitalize on your competitors who are cutting back and in a panic."

When we all know that they where the ones panic'in!

Words words and more words.... -the better you use em... the more $$ you make!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
We have a Mobile Mechanic business and it has been really slow! We have over 300 clients and everyone seems to be pinching every penny, and I understand why. It's just scary because this income was twice as much as we're bringing in now! And my Insurance at work just went from $33 a month to $75! Eek!
Do you have a google/yahoo Search Marketing account yet Michelle?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

my dads electric company is stacked with work. pretty much has been working non stop this whole year.