Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman Questions Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter01
Quick question about the exchange policy. My Craftsman 1/2 drive finally bit the dust after 15 years. We'll I went to my local Sears and asked for an exchange and no questions asked they popped open a tool box from under the Customer Service desk and handed me another rachet. I noticed the rachet they gave me had a different finish than the one I turned in. The one they gave me was like a gun metal color and the one I turned in was more like a chrome finish. They said that I could wait on one just like mine but it may be a awhile so I just took the one they had instock. I thought nothing about it until a week or so later when I went to pull it out of my tool box and it had a thin layer of rust on it. My old rachet from 15 yrs ago never did this and I'm not very happy with this new one, am I stuck with this rachet until it breaks or should the store exchange it out for the kind I turned in. (I now just wish I had waited for the right one to come in)
Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions for your fellow members!
As far a K-Mart exchanging Craftsman tools, I know the one across the street from the Sears I work at doesn't, but maybe its a local thing. The one they gave you was most likely a refurbished one. We get the old ones and switch out all the moving internal and external parts and use those as warranty exchange. As a customer you can refuse a refurbished one for a brand new one and they have to give you a brand new one. If they don't have your brand new replacement in the store they can (if they want to) give you a similar one if its reasonably close in price. Also, if they do not have it in stock they can order it through the Craftsman tool catalog and have it sent directly to your house usually within 7-8 business days if it is not on backorder (they should have told you about this option, but most associates are too lazy to call). If your read the Craftsman tool warranty it does not specify that the tool has to be broken to exchange it, it says says if it does not provide total "satisfaction". So in other words take that rusty POS back and get the one you want or have them order it for you. You may run into a problem though: they may want to exchange it for the same model as the rusty one not the one you originally brought in; best way to deal with this is to talk to the same person who did the exchange for you.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Questions Anybody?