Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman Questions Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman Questions Anybody?

I've been working for Sears for 2 1/2 years now in all of the following departments: hardware, lawn & garden, paint, fitness, sporting goods, and water heaters/softners. Yes its alot of stuff to remember on top of my studies. If anyone has any questions about Sears products, warranties, policies, mr anything else I will be glad to help. I have trained many new sales people in my time here and I've also seen them tell some customers some stupid stuff too. Our policies can be really stupid sometimes so I can help clarify if need be; they should be the same nationwide.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Why is the torque wrench warranty so short.....60 days I think?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM

Yeah I know its like wtf? Actually a majority have 1 year warranty, but you need to save your reciept, just take it in broken w/receipt and they should switch it out for you. The full digital torque wrenches have only 90 day warranty w/receipt. The 2 cheapest models (#44978, #44690, and #44642) have the the beam design and have lifetime warranty, but you probably wouldn't want them.I guess they consider them to be more liable to breakdown since they are more complicated. Back in the day they used to have lifetime, I have seen some from the 70's and the old guys get mad that they don't have the same guarantee, nothing I can do about it.

Actually, I just looked at our website and some are sayin 90 days, but they must be on verge of changing. Here in central cali most are 1 year. I'll check tomorrow at work.

Last edited by adrian87camaro; 10-26-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Launching!

why does the low profile jack suck the big one? I'm on my second one and it just started to leak again. I'm going out of my mind with sears lol
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Adrian, what's the warranty on the Companion line of tools (if any)? Seems the Companion pry bars don't like being used as a chisel LOL.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930475000P

Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SamhainZ28
why does the low profile jack suck the big one? I'm on my second one and it just started to leak again. I'm going out of my mind with sears lol
Yeah, I don't sell that one, except if they need the clearance and want to stick with craftsman. Stay away from the speedy lift jacks too, we've had problems with them. If you still got your receipt then you got 1 year unlimited exchanges if its broken just take it in broken with receipt. If you want to exchange it for another one you generally have 90 days, but our new return policy allows us to do it even longer after that, as long as the manager thinks it is within reason. If you gonna get another one just stick with the old fashion one, #50136 I think.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Roy V.
Adrian, what's the warranty on the Companion line of tools (if any)? Seems the Companion pry bars don't like being used as a chisel LOL.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930475000P

Thanks
Companion tools only have the 90 day warranty with receipt. However, in my store it looks like we are replacing the Companion line with one, still made by Sears, called Evolv. You should start seeing them at your local store. This line has a limited lifetime warranty, but have yet to hear if we will do warranty exchanges in the store, I would assume that we are. These tools are cheaper in quality, but are alot cheaper in price. However, I haven't seen any prybars in that brand. Even the regular Craftsman ones would break if you used it as a chisel. You need the Craftsman Professional series prybars (#43288), they have metal caps on the handle so you can use the biggest hammer you want, lol.

Last edited by adrian87camaro; 10-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Why is the torque wrench warranty so short.....60 days I think?
Checked at work today and we still have 1 year warranty on most of our torque wrenches, except the ones I mentioned in my last post. Like I said they might be changing over, I will keep an eye out on freight and see if the new ones have different warranty. The warranty is whatever the label on the back says. If they do switch over save your label that says 1 year warranty in case it breaks that way you can show the associate at the store.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adrian87camaro
Companion tools only have the 90 day warranty with receipt. However, in my store it looks like we are replacing the Companion line with one, still made by Sears, called Evolv. You should start seeing them at your local store. This line has a limited lifetime warranty, but have yet to hear if we will do warranty exchanges in the store, I would assume that we are. These tools are cheaper in quality, but are alot cheaper in price. However, I haven't seen any prybars in that brand. Even the regular Craftsman ones would break if you used it as a chisel. You need the Craftsman Professional series prybars (#43288), they have metal caps on the handle so you can use the biggest hammer you want, lol.
Thanks Adrian, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question!!
I'll check into the 43288 Professional series.

Roy
Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a few questions..

first.
will you replace stripped allen heads, be it an allen wrench or socket?
second
What has happened with your screwdrivers, these things are like butter on the ends. I quit buying them, i mean the slightest pressure an they bend. Some kind of china pot metal bs?
third
your a day late and dollar short on this one since i JUST bought a generator. I was wondering what kind of warranty came with these "allpower America" generators you guys carry. I know they are chinese made, but looked all over the website and couldnt find any warranty. Just really curious now. I was looking at the 10kw model

thanks for your time man
Old 11-07-2008, 02:46 AM

1. Yes, allens are covered under lifetime warranty. BUT, we no longer carry a large assortment of single allen wrenches instore (talking about the L-shaped ones). We clearanced them out about the time I started. If this is the type you are replacing then the associate will have to call the Craftsman tool catalog to have them send you a warranty replacement. This usually takes 7-8 business days, but we have to keep the broken tool. This method of replacement is pretty reliable as I have done it countless times, but sometimes Sears bitches out and decides to discontinue certain items thus rendering the associate unable to provide you with a replacement (I have also dealt with this and it blows for both parties). If it is a allen/hex socket you are replacing, no problem, we carry those instore and they are readily available through the catalog if out of stock. BEWARE the associate that helps you might be a lazyass and not tell you about the catalog exchange, the allen wrenches should have 5-digit item # on them that allows them to order it for you.

2. Yes, they are cheap. I have countless customers come in with the same problem. The only thing I can say is get the Professional series Craftsmen drivers. They are more expensive, but are better made. And if those are the ones you are having problems with, then that shows that Craftsman has hit bottom.

3.The generator should have no more than 2 years of limited warranty; limited meaning it only covers manufacturer defects. My store has never been big in generators, thus I am not too familiarized with them. Your owners manual should definitely say the warranty on it, if you don't have one I could help you find one just need more info on generator.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I've worked at sears part time as a second job for 4yrs now and I couldn't begin to tell you how many craftsman jacks I have returned/exchanged. They are junk. They make good paper weights though

If you want a low pro aluminum jack, buy the blue and silver one from harbor freight. We have 2 of them in our race car trailer and they get used and abused all year and we haven't had any problems out of them in the past three years that we've had them
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

LOL, what is the warranty w/ a jack?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Why don't you make a vertical 30 gallon oiled compressor?
you have ahorizontal one, but that does me no good
Old 11-21-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rich2279
LOL, what is the warranty w/ a jack?
Craftsman branded jacks have a one year FULL warranty, but you need your receipt. If you have lost your receipt then an associate at the store might be able to find a record of it on the computer.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Why don't you make a vertical 30 gallon oiled compressor?
you have ahorizontal one, but that does me no good
I don't know why, probably cuz they feel homeowners would want a compressor with less maintenance (oil-free). I don't recall us carrying a 30 gallon oiled compressor; it must be before I started working at Sears. The only compressors we have close to that is the 33-gallon oil-free vertical and 25-gallon Professional series oil-free vertical. sixt8firebird1 has worked at Sears longer than me, feel free to chime in cuz most of our compressors bigger homeowner are oil-free now and you might might be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adrian87camaro
I don't know why, probably cuz they feel homeowners would want a compressor with less maintenance (oil-free). I don't recall us carrying a 30 gallon oiled compressor; it must be before I started working at Sears. The only compressors we have close to that is the 33-gallon oil-free vertical and 25-gallon Professional series oil-free vertical. sixt8firebird1 has worked at Sears longer than me, feel free to chime in cuz most of our compressors bigger homeowner are oil-free now and you might might be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry about that, the horizontal is 25gal
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators

Only if they made a vertical version of it
Old 11-22-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixty8firebird1
I've worked at sears part time as a second job for 4yrs now and I couldn't begin to tell you how many craftsman jacks I have returned/exchanged. They are junk. They make good paper weights though

If you want a low pro aluminum jack, buy the blue and silver one from harbor freight. We have 2 of them in our race car trailer and they get used and abused all year and we haven't had any problems out of them in the past three years that we've had them
Is this the jack from harbor freight you are talking about? There is another cheaper one that has a smaller lifting range too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40105
Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Sorry about that, the horizontal is 25gal
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators

Only if they made a vertical version of it
Oh yeah, that one. Yeah, your not the first one to want a vertical version. They actually do make one, but its specs aren't as impressive as the horizontal one and it is oil-free; so it won't be what your looking for.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Adiran,

These were on sale at the Sears Hardware store by me for $16 a couple of weeks ago - what a steal!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5433000P?mv=rr

Last edited by Roy V.; 11-24-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Questions Anybody?