Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Decent inexpensive tire gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Decent inexpensive tire gauges

I compared my cheapo $1.25 auto zone pen type tire gauge with one i borrowed at the track (dont remember brand), there was a 3psi difference, which obviously hits home the idea that i need a better gauge.

the moroso ones appear to be the only ones that quote what degree of accuracy they are rated for (2%), but they are a bit more than i'm willing to spend.

the jegs house brand ones *look* ok at $17, and says that they are individually calibrated... but am i going to be getting what i pay for? autometer has one for $20, but it doesnt have a hose on it. has anyone compared inexpensive tire gauges to the higher end ones and can recommend a decent one? car only sees DR's at the track, so i'm looking at the 60psi models so it can still be used for regular car and LT tires as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

hmm, something i never really thought about. i have several but the most expensive is a 5 dollar analog and ten dollar digital. never really considered that they could be inaccurate.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

accuracy might not be a big deal when filling up street tires for general street use, but when you are running your track tires, 3 psi is a big difference when you have so little air in the tires.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shop on a circle track supplier page, like speedway...they have some decently priced and accurate ones.

Quick Reply: Decent inexpensive tire gauges