Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Custom Turbo pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Turbo pipes

Is stainless steel fine for intercooler and turbo air-inlet piping?

Also, is it better to ceramic coat the pipes or heat wrap them, or both?

Which brings the third question, any idea where to find ceramic coating SPRAY, I know ive seen this somewhere, but can't seem to find out where.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt heat wrap anything...... And use Aluminum for everything except exhaust
Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I wouldnt heat wrap anything...... And use Aluminum for everything except exhaust
I thought it was kinda hard to weld aluminum, and looking at how close that thing passes beside the turbo, I dont think its a good idea.

I think ur talking about aluminized steel piping and not aluminum, correct me if im wrong
Old 01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No you def do not want to trap heat in the pipes, you want to build all of your charge piping out of aluminum NOT aluminized steel. you can use steel if you want but the added weight sucks. If you have someone that can Tig then your set. If this is going on the car in your sig then you really dont want to add the weight and you have the money to pay a good welder for the aluminum work(which is cheap by compairison).
Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

man, its not about the money, its about FINDING a good welder here in Dubai, thats damn hard honestly!!

I dont mind a LITTLE more weight, I wont have to re-design the whole turbo piping, just a few parts of it, so stainless steel should work fine if weight is the only concern.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry man its not a "little" weight its atleast double. if you can get someone to Tack the piping together and ship it here. im sure there is sponsors on here and Tech that would be able to hook you up. even if you couldnt tack it together you could tape it with ducttape for the mock up and mark the connections with adjoining dashes, numbering the dashes and connections... there more than one way to skin a cat and I would try to find someone there that can do it.... you dont want steel for the charge pipes...

actually give us some mroe info, How long are the charge pipes gonna be?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
sorry man its not a "little" weight its atleast double. if you can get someone to Tack the piping together and ship it here. im sure there is sponsors on here and Tech that would be able to hook you up. even if you couldnt tack it together you could tape it with ducttape for the mock up and mark the connections with adjoining dashes, numbering the dashes and connections... there more than one way to skin a cat and I would try to find someone there that can do it.... you dont want steel for the charge pipes...

actually give us some mroe info, How long are the charge pipes gonna be?
Well, I couldnt measure, since I didnt get the TTi kit installed in the first place, so ill do my best using whatever is available and customizing the rest, I hope its just some minimal customization though, well see!

Ill try looking for alum. tubing too, if I was lucky to find that.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another option that wouldnt require welding would be to just use silicone connections between the aluminum piping. As long as you bead roll the edges you shouldnt have any problems with them pulling apart...
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
Also, is it better to ceramic coat the pipes or heat wrap them, or both?

Which brings the third question, any idea where to find ceramic coating SPRAY, I know ive seen this somewhere, but can't seem to find out where.

dupli-color has a 1200 degree ceramic paint available at most auto parts places.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 06-06-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not hard to weld Alum.... And its not hard to find pre bent pieces in almost any size or wall thickness..... I wouldnt use hoses anymore than I have to...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ayousef
man, its not about the money, its about FINDING a good welder here in Dubai, thats damn hard honestly!!

I dont mind a LITTLE more weight, I wont have to re-design the whole turbo piping, just a few parts of it, so stainless steel should work fine if weight is the only concern.
Checkout the smaller airports, I would think they could find you a welder. I wouldn't hesitate to use thin wall steel tubing for your pipes.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

I use stainless on all the kits that I build. I've found that the added weight and heat soak are worth it for the added strength and durability. On an average cold side kit, you're only adding about 5-6 pounds to the total weight, and and the difference on the dyno is hardly noticeable as long as you have a decent size intercooler.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Who said it is hard to find an alum. wilder in Dubai?
We did alot of cars and anything you want it will be find.
Just look around and you will find alot of things you don't amagine it is available over here.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MoeDenali
Who said it is hard to find an alum. wilder in Dubai?
We did alot of cars and anything you want it will be find.
Just look around and you will find alot of things you don't amagine it is available over here.
I heard you guys built a Dragstrip in Dubai?

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo pipes