Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Looking for a sandblaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for a sandblaster

I'm looking to pick up a sandblaster to clean up my rear end housing and other misc parts. I saw this one made by Clarke for sale at Summit. Any opinions on this type of sandblaster, or should I go with something else? I have a large air compressor, so no worries there.

Clarke Pressure Pot Sandblaster
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the Harbor Freight equivalent. 40 lb pressurized blaster.

As long as you use the RIGHT sized stuff, and it's dry, you'll have little to no issues.

I use (either #4 or #5, I don't remember) blasting sand (whichever is smaller/finer). It works well in that blaster. The next size bigger (again, either #4 or #5) clogged the tip every 30 seconds and was a completely PITA to work with.

My local tractor supply sells a black blasting product (black beauty or similar), but the grains are practically boulders, no way would it work in my blaster. It's got to be fairly fine for it to work.

Now we'll get in to the debate silica vs. non-silica. If you do not have proper respiratory protection, don't blast. Silica (regular sand) is dangerous stuff, I use a pressurized fresh air respirator hood and a full tyvek suit when I blast with sand. Non-silica isn't as dangerous, a good quality dust mask would be fine.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Ok, thanks for the information on the safty aspect of blasting. That's something I never really thought about, so I'll look into getting the proper equipment.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent ~$20 at Harbor Freight for a hand held sand blaster. I bought it on a whim not expecting much. I also bought a bag of childrens sand box sand at Home depot. Well the results were fantastic. Rusty a arms, k member, etc were stripped and cleaned to bare metal, truly amazing.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Was it a siphon type you purchased or one with the bucket on top of it?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't used it in about a year, but as I recall, it was gravity fed with the reservoir on top of the unit.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I got my Clarke sandblaster today. While looking around at different types of media to use, I started coming upon the dangers of blasting with a silica type of sand as mentioned by Camaroholic. I looked at the Clarke 80 grit garnet abrasive and the childrens play sand by Quikrete, because bigdsz mentioned it. When I read the MSDS, it said "Do not use for sandblasting" and went into the dangers of crystalline silica and silicosis. Here is the PDF of the MSDS.
Quikrete Play Sand MSDS

I also bought the Clarke sandblasting hood, but don't think I have a proper respirator. What should I be looking for? The mask I do have is a 3M 5101 small organic vapor half facepiece respirator. It says it meets NIOSH/MSHA approval for paint, lacquer, enamel mists, pesticides and organic vapors, dusts, fumes, etc. It says on the same page in the 3M catalog that a NIOSH approved respirator must be used with asbestos, silica, grain dust, & spray paints. Will this mask be ok if I use this huge blasting hood I picked up, or should I be looking for something better?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in the asphalt business for over 20 years in Florida where all we have is silica sand. We used over 100,000 tons a year at the plants, heavy dust was always in the air. Some of the plant men had been exposed for over 40 years with no ill effects. Silicosis can occur, but MSDS sheets mandated by the federal government more often than not exaggerate risks.

All I use for lung protection is the fiber masks from Home Depot that you buy by the dozen.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have always used breathers at work when using the above type of blaster, and i dont think i would do it without it.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think you'll be OK using a NIOSH filter under a hood. I know guys that have used nothing more than a bandana, and they're still alive. But me, I'm not taking any chances. I've used an NIOSH filter for paint, and they should trap the bad dust particles no problem.

I think the only issue you may really have with it is that it'll get hot inside that hood if you blast on a warm day. And sand sticks to sweat pretty good.

I spent about $130 on my homebrew 'fresh air' system. I use it for both sandblasting and painting. It's a bit cumbersome at times, but it works well to keep any fumes or particles away from me.

Quick Reply: Looking for a sandblaster