Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

i want to learn how to weld...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a good choice. Buy a length of 1/4 x 2 angle and build yourself a welding table. Great way to learn and the table is really handy.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ yeah I agree. If you are just starting out, I would practice a lot before actually welding something in the car that has to do with safety. Building a table will really help you learn.

I would try to get ahold of some tubing or pipe of some sort and practice welding around them also. There is a huge difference between going strait and flat on a table and welding around a piece of roll cage tubing. If you add that to laying on your side under something then you can understand how difficult it is to make a good weld.

I learned from experience welding. I went to school to weld pipe and still didn't know anything when I got out in the field. Yeah I was the slickest mother f'er in my school on a pipe stand, but in the field I had trouble when first starting out.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, i know what you mean. its nice when the work is out in the wide open and the piece is perfectly clean and the lighting is great........ build yourself a decent table first. then maybe think about making a plate and pipe jig to practice on.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming. I'm pretty stoked about learning to weld.hopefully I get pretty descent at it.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't have anyone to show you 'what's going on' with welding, I would recommend googling for weld penetration documents so you can see what proper welds look like.

It's really easy to use a welder like a hot glue gun. It'll stick 2 pieces of metal together no problem. However, if you have no penetration, the first time you put stress on the weld, it will fail. You really need to look around at pictures of other welds for "what's right" and "what's not". Keep in mind, welding is all about proper penetration to bond the parts. I'll also quickly mention cleaning the surfaces, and possibly needing to grind an angle on the surface (like when doing butt welds). There's a lot more to it than that, but those are just a few things to think about.

An angle grinder with a wire wheel, grinding disc, and flap disc will also come in very handy as well for cleaning up the area both before and after welding.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Miller Welders .com and do some reading, they are very useful!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks. i have done some reading and i do have an idea of how to get the angles right for proper penetration and what not. but ill be doing plenty more reading, and ill post some of my welds on here once i get started, and you guys can let me know what you think. thanks for all the help so far.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two books out that Borders always carry, i can not remember the names but i think one is "how to weld damn near anything" thats a nice book to read.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

cool thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check www.millerweld.com. there has forum and helpful you better..I go there many times..try a worth...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on building your own stuff. First thing I did with the welder I bought (just a 110v welder at that) was picked up a bunch of 1/8" thick angle from metals depot and built my own welding cart. Then built some workbenches, small brackets, repaired random steel stuff. then I built a couple TD exhaust setups for my car. Then I got a manual metal bender and made hooks, a paper towel holder, shelving, and more! Now I'm building a portable tool cart/bench. Now I'm kinda thinking of buying a tubing roller and a scroll bender as well just to expand what I can fab up. Basically anything that you would normally go an buy look into building it yourself instead for the practice.

Also experiment with your welder. weld thin steel to thick, round, tight corners. weld random steel together and test the strength by beating on it and also a good idea to practice flux Core wire welding (no gas) because you never know when you may need to weld something outside on a windy day or in case you run out of gas as well at different thickness wire on different materials. Just remember to change the polarity as needed for each process.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
is there a book or anyhting that can give me some guidance or something? Or should I just start by trial and error? Thanks for the help
its abit of both. i was lucky enough to learn from a state certified and con ed certified welder. however. its very very easy to weld. especially if you really want too. the only welder id suggest you is a lincoln electric mig gun. we have a LE SP-180 and that little welder is a beauty! i always run unsheiled wire with argon co2 mix. you can get alot of different size wires for it. ive run .035 through it no problem. its great for doing sheet metal work such as exhausts. its abit on the pricey side but you gotta pay to play.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarsa
You're asking for advice so here's mine: Go and sign up for a welding class at your local community college. It's their metal and machines that you'll be using, you only need to invest the time. I took 3 welding classes before buying anything. Also, unless you plan on fabbing a lot, it's not worth the investment of a welder and the materials for a few small projects. you can pay someone for much less. A decent used MIG is at least $500.

--JMarsa
i took welding for a year to become a "rookie" welder at my job. i was a welder for two years before i bought my own machine. by then i had tried lots of them and knew which ones i liked the best.....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The biggest thing is to just get a feel for it, the sound, what it really needs to look like while welding and after, etc. When you can weld flat then try vertical. You'll cuss a bit until you get it just so. Then move on to tubing. It mostly just takes time doing it.

After you get so you think you're making good welds put it in a vice and beat the hell out of it with a sledge. You'll know pretty quick if its a good weld. You can also cut it to see the penetration you got.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I was in the same boat. I watched tons of videos and bought a book. I found this video after i had been welding a few months and it made a huge difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMdQT-eswYY
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for all the help guys. i got my welder now i just have to get some gas and start making some mayhem. im going to try to make a talbe this week, and maybe a welder cart.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Good luck. I'm in the same boat as you, only a couple weeks ahead. I started my cutout install yesterday and I've modified my DS loop for my exhaust. It's a whole lot of fun to say 'i can do that myself!' and then go do it.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Clean CLean CLean!!!

Most of your issues with welding will come from impurities or cleanliness issues. If it is popping and farting then check your ground. Check your work area for the weld. Grind it, clean it, sand it what ever you need to do. You can't have a strong weld if you are welding over paint or rust or dirt. All of this stuff will make it into your weld bead and make a weak spot. Like they said before, weld stuff together as practice. Then try and break it. Then if you can't break it the cut a cross section though the piece and the weld with a hack saw. You will be surprised at what you find inside of what you thought was a strong weld. Any voids, gaps and holes are weak pionts. You are on the right track though. Keep at it. Have fun. Everyone needs to "know" someone who can weld stuff.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you post up some pics of your work when you get started. Once you get where you can weld pretty good with the mig, then you should step up to a tig. Personally I cant stand mig welding, but it definately has its uses. Makes good tacks for exhaust and sheet metal work.

Quick Reply: i want to learn how to weld...need some advice