Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Main breaker is loaded. Need an outlet for lincoln 225 stick welder. Idea.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Main breaker is loaded. Need an outlet for lincoln 225 stick welder. Idea.

I have a lincoln 225 stick welder that I want to hook up to the main breaker. The main is filled. My dryer runs off of a double throw 60 amp breaker.I was thinking that I could replace the wire/line to the dryer with beefier 6 or 4 gauge wire and then replace the welder plug with a dryer plug.

At the moment, adding a sub panel or installing a new main is not in the budget.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

that absolutely will work.......some people will say its rigging it but at the moment its what you can afford so i say do it....and actually i have seen it done before.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used dryer and kitchen range, when I lived
alone I never cooked so the range was a better
option.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 20 foot 4ga extension cord with a standard 220v outlet and dryer plug on the other end. I just tote it with me when I have to do welding over a buddy's house who's garage wiring challenged. Most laundry rooms are right by the garage.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do the same, but using the air conditioner disconnect switch.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing your welder will require, or want service for, 20 amps at 240v, 30 amps at most. what you can do is put a junction box in just prior to the electrical outlet for your dryer, which is 240v load (if it is not then this won't work). In your junction box just tee off that line and run wire to wherever you want your outlet for your welder.
To do things safe, you'll need to verify the type of breaker you have and that the wire running from that breaker to the junction box is rated for the amperage the breaker will trip at. In other words, don't have 14 gauge wire rated for 20 amps coming off the breaker, and have a 40 or 60 amp breaker- that defeats the whole purpose of the breaker. As long as the wiring to the junction box is large enough, if you run the dryer and welder at the same time it will be safe, you'll just trip the breaker. From your junction box to the welder outlet, all you'll need is 10/2 wire, which is probably what is running from your breaker panel to dryer already. You said 60 amp breaker for your dryer currently, that sounds wrong, it should be 30 amp because 10/2 wire is 30 amp capacity and is what is almost always used. What you may want to do is upgrade that wire run with 8/2, that will depend on the length of the run from the breaker panel to the outlet, or to where you plan on putting in the junction box. Just remember the whole point of the breaker is to limit current flow so the amperage rating of whatever wiring it's running on is not exceeded. And if your run of wire is very long, then step up to the next larger diameter wire. After that, how you run the wire is fairly straight forward from your junction box to welder and does not take a lot of brains to be safe and if it's exposed and not sheetrocked over then you can always undo it easily. And you can buy outdoor wiring that is 10/2 or 8/2 if you're concerned about an exposed run, but if it's run indoor and reasonably protected then i would just buy indoor stuff. 8/2 is 50 amp rated i believe, so if you upgrade the wire from breaker panel to dryer that is what you should use, I don't think you'll fit 6/2 easily and is somewhat overkill, 4/2 would be a waste of money.

http://www.nojolt.com/residential_el...in_guide.shtml

Quick Reply: Main breaker is loaded. Need an outlet for lincoln 225 stick welder. Idea.