Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What is a good inch-pounds torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote Snap-On. Look at the Tech Wrench series. It can do in/lbs, ft/lbs, N/m, and Degrees. It costs more, but is basically 4 wrenches in one.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Proto makes a good TW!
x2, Proto tools are of excellent quality.

If you can afford it, buy either Snap-on, FACOM or Britool. If on a budget, Proto is your best friend. Its just a little bit cheaper, but its right up there with all those 3 when it comes to quality.

Did you bother to take your torque wrench for a calibration test before you started using it?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a CDI that i borrowed from work to do my intake.It says its a snap on product on the side.It seemed very nice to me.3/8ths drive also
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Yep, I picked up a CDI off ebay for like $112 or something. Works/feels great.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Launching!

I would use a beam type not a click tyde the beam type is much more accurate +- 2%
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 AM

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and all we have ever used is snap on. They have a wide selection, are easy to calibrate, and hold calibration well. Things about TQ wrenches you might not know.....

The upper and lower 10% of the torque selection is not accurate
Set the TQ wrench to its lowest setting when not in use.....not as far as it will turn down
A drop from anything more then 3 feet messes up the calibration on most TQ wrenches
Cycle the wrench 6-8 times at its highest value before use
Dial type wrenches are the most accurate

Snap-on sells a wrench with a digital gauge the vibrates and makes an audible tone when the set torque is reached. These are awesome and very accurate. Expensive but worth it.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nicelysedated
I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and all we have ever used is snap on. They have a wide selection, are easy to calibrate, and hold calibration well. Things about TQ wrenches you might not know.....

The upper and lower 10% of the torque selection is not accurate
Set the TQ wrench to its lowest setting when not in use.....not as far as it will turn down
A drop from anything more then 3 feet messes up the calibration on most TQ wrenches
Cycle the wrench 6-8 times at its highest value before use
Dial type wrenches are the most accurate

Snap-on sells a wrench with a digital gauge the vibrates and makes an audible tone when the set torque is reached. These are awesome and very accurate. Expensive but worth it.
Also if you use a wrench that is not in the center of your torque value the readings will be inaccurate. Example torquing a fastener to 30 FT LBS with a 250 LB WRENCH. Always use a wrench that is app in the center of its torque range. In my shop i have 2 dozen torque wrenches to satisfy all torque situations. Dial types are the best and snap on makes very good wrenches. But very overpriced. I have snap on torque wrenches and have them calibrated all the time. I also have a torque testing fixture. You cant believe how far off some of these wrenches are.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Teching In

What's your budget?

I have a MAC tools dial indicating in/lb torque wrench that I use, got it used for ~$75 at a pawn shop, IIRC they are ~$200 new. The dial indicator style is easier to use and more accurate than the beam style, but the dial indicator style cost a bit more.

Quick Reply: What is a good inch-pounds torque wrench?