Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Is anyone here a TECH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don's got it right with the complexity of the new imports (mainly German). A shop is a good place to start, especailly if they are willing to send you to school (might even pay for it). Otherwise, UTI, WyoTech, etc...is also a good place, but it is only general and basic knowledge that they teach. BMW, Porsche, Audi all send their reps there though to recruit new talent, to find people that aren't corrupted by the field. Just remember that after going to one of these school, you'll have $15-20k in student loans to pay off and no guarantee of a job.

Yeah, Florida is a little on the low end of wages because of no state income tax and semi-low cost of living. $70-75k is a pretty good living down here..I'm living alright and I'm still alot short of that $70k mark.

Keep the questions coming, going into this field is not for everyone.

-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
Old 12-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Teching In

I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion or anything, I'm just tossin my $.02 in. I've worked on cars as a hobby doing engine swaps and stuff since I was 15. Right out of HS I ended up with a pretty decent paying job outside the auto industry doing assembly on hydraulics. Couple years later manufacturing took a big dump and lay-offs and resizing and all that BS went around so thats when I moved on to working at a private shop doing collision repair. First off one of the things I gotta say about workin in that industry, atleast around here, is as said above be carefull who you listen to. Theres the people who talk the talk, and the ones who can walk the walk.. you wanna walk. I also suggest working at a private shop atleast when starting out because you'll work on everything under the sun. I've done my fair share of BMWs, Volvos, Mercedes, and of course a million GMs, Fords, Chryslers and all the regular imports. Pretty much the only things I haven't seen come thru or worked on are the high-end exotics for obvious reasons.. I'm in the midwest lol. But working on alot of different things gives you a better view of looking at things even if you are going to work on say Audi's... it just gives you the bigger picture ect and keeps you on your toes. Money can be another issue too once your on a flat-rate. Doing autobody is a little different than tech work in that even if I get the car done quick, if the painter isn't up to par it can screw you over in the long run.. fortunately that wasn't the case, but the point is if theres a good crew working there with a decent turn around time word usually spreads and you'll have work piling up. But there is going to be slow periods and that's just one of the things you got to live with in the industry. Another thing, for me atleast I dunno how dealership politics work as I never worked at one, is the hours can sometimes be unpredictable. If one job eats up alot of time, the other work that needs to be done for the day still has to get done so you find out your working late that day right when your working on a job thats a PITA. Same goes if theres just alot of work to do, but that's nothing to complain about because that's when you bring home the big $$. I've done plenty of 14 hour days, but if you like what your doing it's not that bad.
That being said though, my last day of work at that shop after 6 years was about 2 weeks ago. I still like working on cars, but if you look at my sig you'll see it says 'former' owner. I ended up burning myself out working on cars 24/7 and my hobby wasn't fun anymore cuz I didn't feel like working on my own car after fixing someone else smashed car. Also I went back to school this fall for design and going to school and still working fulltime at a body shop would of put me in a very early grave, as I found out after a few months. So make sure it's something you really want to pursure as a career and not just a hobby. Again I did collision repair so it's a bit different than tech work, but I'm thinking it's got to be better lol... I rather fix a motor ect than straighten frames and weld quarter panels in retrospect. I'm not saying this to turn you off of it, but just telling you my story as a young guy that got his hands dirty in this. Don't listen to these old guys though, only thing they'll teach you is how to rebuild carbs and swap leaf springs. j/k Best of luck to you.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there's a sears 'shop' like 2 minutes away from me so maybe i would do that part time while going to the school..

I'm afrais i'll burn myself out too..and i'd avoid 14 hour days (as in spending 14 hours, not "clocking" them thru flat rate) whenever possible i got the lady i need to get home to.

I'm not worried about finding work after school really, because i believe it's no prob, the real issue is finding a decent place to work at. Otherwise there's hundred of little low paying carb-rebuilding shady shops i could always go to, j/k.

Only thing i'm worried about is like finding out i hate electronics once i'm mid-way,also idon't really feel a calling to anything else, i'm not just straight out of highschool either so...
Old 01-04-2004, 10:48 AM
don
Teching In

stay away from sears.they are a dump and also under federal indictment[in nj]for robbing people.aso,you will not make a dime.i have 2 guys that used to work there and they would rather shovel ****,rather than work there.you also will not learn anything either,because real techs don't work at sears.as far as not liking electronics,if you think you're going to hate it,save your money now and think about another career.electronics will play a big role in the field,regardless if you go with a foreign or domestic manufacture.most foreign manufactures have all ready gone to can data communications and domestics are starting to go there[gmlan,etc.].alot of the problems in cars the last couple of years is due to electrical and not mechanical.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by don
stay away from sears.they are a dump and also under federal indictment[in nj]for robbing people.aso,you will not make a dime.i have 2 guys that used to work there and they would rather shovel ****,rather than work there.you also will not learn anything either,because real techs don't work at sears.as far as not liking electronics,if you think you're going to hate it,save your money now and think about another career.electronics will play a big role in the field,regardless if you go with a foreign or domestic manufacture.most foreign manufactures have all ready gone to can data communications and domestics are starting to go there[gmlan,etc.].alot of the problems in cars the last couple of years is due to electrical and not mechanical.
I agree with that. I've worked in garages, Pep Boys, and now dealerships. They are all very different places. The chain places, and as a whole, are not very good. Try and get in a reputable private garage. Private garages generally don't last long unless they have good techs and do honest work. An established mom and pop 2-5 bay shop is a great place to start. Since there isn't a lot of "new guy" work to be done in those places, you'll have more opportunity to do different things, not just run the tire/oil change bays all day long. You'll also work closer to the techs, and if you're willing to listen more than you talk you can really, really learn a lot.