Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Picking Good Tools: Please Help a new gearhead

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All around I personally think Snap-On makes the best tools. I have a lot of Matco and Cratftsman tools as well, along with a Matco box(I got very good deals on Matco stuff when I was in school). I will admit some of the prices are pretty crazy but in the end you get what you pay for. I just recently lost my Matco 17mm wrench and decided to replace it with a Snap-On. The build and quality isn't night and day but it's definately an upgrade. The open ended side of the Matco wrench is absolutely useless.

If you're not in the business Craftsman tools are fine, I still buy them. But if you're a mechanic it makes more sense and is sometimes much easier to buy Snap-On or Matco since they come to your work.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of jumped the gun and didn't read the first post so let me add some stuff.

Don't go crazy and buy a bunch of tools all at once. Honestly, I don't see why that 260 piece Craftsman set won't do you fine. BUY TOOLS AS YOU NEED THEM. Especially since you're just getting into the business and who knows if you'll still be doing this in a couple years to come. There's a "rule" that my instructor told me awhile ago and I still try to go by it, although you can't always; If you ask someone to use a certain tool more than once, then buy your own.

Pace yourself when purchasing tools and also consider that this is not the best time to get into the business. I know, I'm currently at a GM dealer.....
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the craftsman set is missing stuff, our school is NATEF certified and super ****, I will be using these tools at minimum 6+ hrs a day, for the next 2 years, then possibly for 2 years at an internship. the craftsman will not suit for that purpose.
We are not aloowed to borrow or use anyone elses tools, but that is a good rule anyway.

we also had a demo from Pro tools who carries kd and gearwrench some other stuff, much cheaper but yea, all these companies have lifetime warranties and a rep that comes by. I think i'm gonna get all snap on wrenches and then the rest of the **** will be matco+ ingersol Impact. thanks for all the input
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I love SnapOn hand tools, IR air tools (have some SnapOn air stuff though), and Fluke multimeters. There's a few companies that make good scan tools...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I've only used Craftsman because the others are so expensive. So I don't know how the others feel or work but I do know that Sears has great customer service, or at least the one in my town. Any time I've had trouble I just walk in and they trade my messed up whatever for a brand new one right of the shelf. I've only had to do this twice, both times with drill bits that broke, but it was super easy, if warranty matters at all to you.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
Ok, Well I am relatively new to being a gearhead, Ive always loved cars yada yada but only since I got the camaro *1 year ago* have I been trying to DIY as much as possible, I love to learn things that interest me.

That being said, I've decided to go to school for cars which starts in a few weeks, I want to get the Assoc. degree and get ASE certified. Not a career choice but I will keep wrenching on my cars & perhaps /family/friends cars if needed, The degree will pay for itself imo with the money saved from taking my cars in to a shop and I'd rather DIY so who cares if it doesn't.

We obv. need tools for school, I want High quality tools and am willing to pay for quality!!(not gonna spend like 10k tho off the bat!) Now,I have a very basic Craftsman 260pc set for my weekend tasks or whatever at home, but I want my class tools to be Better

**gonna use every day 8hrs or more for about 2 years then for apprenticeship and Home**

Upon buying my First *and only so far* Snap-On combo wrench, and holding it in one hand and the craftsman in the other, I can tell the difference in quality;

Don't get me wrong here boys, I am not knocking anyone's tools and do acknowledge that Craftsman is sturdy and suitable to get the job done, I own some don't I.

My question is, Who makes Superior tools?????!? I feel There is Absolutely No way Snap On makes the Best EVERYTHING but I know they're good.

Please chime in here since I am still a college student, I'd like to keep it around 5k to work with atm and if I fk up on my selection I can't swap setups for a while *tuition bills etc*

I would like to know Who makes the best whatever, Please.
Especially:Ratchets, Pliers, Screwdrivers, Sockets, Impact guns air & battery power, & Torque wrenches to name a few.

at the Minimum, I am thinking That I would like to have Snap On for the hand tools I use all the time like Wrenches&ratchets and the rest could be interchanged with something that is better or a bit less expensive if I max out my $ on the startup tools.

I was told the snap on sockets round edges off and don't grip as strong but that's hearsay.

I love the way the SO wrench fits my hand, much better than the Craftsman.

How does Matco, MAC, bluepoint stack up here??

I need enough stuff to get by in a garage for school: highlights of list are pliers most types,wrenches, ratchets/sockets,feeler guages, screwdrivers manual&ratcheting, drillbits, prybars, digital thermometer, TOOL BOX.

also want to get a impact gun for myself.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO!!! Keep negatives to yourself please, I just want to have the best tools I can afford so I can focus more on learning& Skill, not worry about my equipment and have something that will last me for the cars to come.

Thanks again for helping me get set up!
im gonna be honest w/ you man. my father has 100% snap on and i've used his tools since i was 16, im now 20 and using the same tools. They are simply badass. air ratchets, sockets, wrenches.... i believe we use GEARWRENCH brand gear wrenches though.
When it comes to dependability you WILL NOT beat snap on. it expensive... but it is because you are getting what you pay for.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

snap on reps have horribLe! customer service and treat students like **** in my experience so far, matco isn't much better shady driver and lazy too. I went with snapon for my tools, and am supplimenting out the stuff I don't like with matco (pliers race set,BOX=POS!!) it's a shame, that the big dog companies treat the little guy like ****, basically the attitude I and my classmates have been getting is "buy our stuff or get lost, give us your money and fk off"
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

My school offers craftsman and gear wrench tools.And some other name brands.We use them when ever there is work to be done.

Quick Reply: Picking Good Tools: Please Help a new gearhead