Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

So my dad is tired of me using his tools...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my dad is tired of me using his tools...

Yeah, got my surprise early lol.

My gmaw wants to buy me a tool set so I can stop borrowing everyone else's.

I get to pick it out, but I'm pretty overwhelmed to be honest.

Right now, I'm at this link and theres just a ton of **** to look at, so I'm asking for a bit of help here, budget is about $500 and I have a spare toolbox so if the set doesn't come with one thats fine.

I'm here atm: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

for me when buying tools you learn (from all the tools you borrow all the time) what tools you will need more than other tools. i like to buy the basics and build up to what i really need. no point in spending all that money and space on a tool that you will never use. my tool box is pretty small but yet i'm some how rebuilding transmissions, repairing my cars, building turbo kits... with the little amount of tools that i have.

be true to your self and start off with the basics, keep the remainer of the money on a card or somthing that way you can buy those extra tools that you need as time goes by. you'll be better that way instead of having a drawer full of extra tools that you already have and dont use.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

a great starter kit is one of the craftsman 300+ plus pieace sets. should get you started just right.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THENASCAR
a great starter kit is one of the craftsman 300+ plus pieace sets. should get you started just right.
+1... Other tools to consider purchasing are Vise Grip Pliers, Crescent Wrench, Ratcheting Wrench set (once you know which sizes you frequently use), and a decent Wire stripper/cutter.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 260 in a black/gray drawers is nice, I have the previous version of it, and it works great. I like the drawers since I was able to put them in my toolbox, so each socket and ratchet has a place, (easy to identify what is missing) for the cost of under $200 it is a great starter set.

Add the other tools as mentioned, and you will be on a good start.

Ryan
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THENASCAR

I agree start with something like the 300 peice set, the tools you break or use a lot and are worn out, upgrade to a better q peice from matco. Then go pick and pull the tools that you need. I started that way and now I have tools at work adn my orignal set like the ones you are looking at are the house or I throw them in the trunk to go to the track.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Launching!

If you join the craftsman tool club and are patient, you can get really good deals. I've bought tool sets for 1/2 off. They just sent a flyer the other day and it has some stellar good deals in it, including cabinets.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

wait until the day after thanksgiving, always great deals on craftsman tools
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Launching!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets

or wait till christmas sales
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Here is a list of the basics you NEED:

Combination spanners kit : should come from a very small size all the way to a pretty big spanner size, like 22 or 24mm?

Short sockets in 1/4" drive, get a full set along with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Short sockets in 3/8" drive, this will be used for bigger nuts and bolts, so you will need to decide what size you need for the extra torque. I only use deep sockets in 3/8" drive but have a few of the bigger sockets in short type to avoid any slippage.

Screw drivers of all sorts, pokers, pliers if every kind you think can be useful, diagonal cutters, plumbers pliers (monkey pliers?), sirclip pliers, parallel punches, scribers, pokers, pickers, gasket scrapers, wire brush.

Extensions in every size you can find (come in handy when you need to make a mix to custom a size.

Universal joints, step up from 1/4" to 3/8" and step downs as well.

A set of Allen keys, crow foots (they do come in handy).

A 2lb hammer, a hard plastic mallet, soft mallet, big rubber mallet.

Try to build your box like that, and see if its within budget. Lots of things can be substituted from a department store like screw drivers, hammers and mallets, allen key sets.

Get Craftsman on things that move and wear over time like the ratchets to get a free replacement through lifetime warranty.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: So my dad is tired of me using his tools...