Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tool Review: Craftsman Thread Restorer Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tool Review: Craftsman Thread Restorer Kit

so there i was, installing a BMR k-member and poly motor mounts in my 4th gen. long story short, i mess up one of the k-member to frame bolts and the captive nut that goes with it.

first thing that crosses my mind is to just get a new bolt/nut from hardware store. these are grade 10 metric bolts... good luck finding those at a hardware store, lowes and HD only carry grade 8.

then i check out the stealership. the bolt is only like $4, but the nut is all kinds of funky in design, and is $30. ouch. plus they would take 3-5 business days to get. double ouch.

then i get the bright idea to just yank one off a junk car. i call TEN junkyards, and not one had a 4th gen camaro/firebird on the lot.

so then i decide to look into fixing my nut/bolt with a tap/die set. i search around, and find this set by craftsman:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942275000P

got great reviews. instead of cutting the threads like a tap/die set, it reshapes the threads... its specifically designed for fixing damaged threads as opposed to cutting new ones. FYI: this 48pc set is only available by mail. they have a slightly smaller version in the stores, which has 4 less sizes and is $20 cheaper. i couldnt wait to order it, so i ran to the store to pick up the smaller kit and some cutting oil.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952105000P

worked like a charm. since i messed up the first threads on the bolt, and was afraid that i'd make them worse, i first ran the file backwards through the bolt, so it could use some good threads as a template to get the bad ones started. i then used the die to go over the threads. for the nut, i started off running it though the back side to use the good threads as a template. for both, i had to start off using a wrench to turn them, but after several passes back and forth, i was able to do it by hand.

i kept running the tap and dies through the nut and bolt, forwards and backwards a whole bunch of times, until i couldn't feel the resistance getting any better. while i wasnt able to completley thread the 'fixed' nut/bolt together with just my fingers, i only needed a tiny bit of help from a wrench to 'power through' the bad part.

i would highly suggest this kit for just having in your tool set for 'just in case'. i would of course suggest getting the bigger set if you are ordering in a non-crisis situation like i had to. i dunno if sears will let me return it or not, since i did use it... but i already ran into one time where i wanted to just clean the gunk out of the threads on another bolt, but didn't have the size, which is available in the bigger kit (m11x1.5).

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this kit and like it also. It has saved me a few times, and is good for cleaning threads. I would also suggest adding their spark plug thread repair tap also. It works the same way without cutting into the metal.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, good timing.

I need to buy a thread chaser kit so I can clean the bolt holes from all the loctite on the engine block.

I have a few pieces but they're standard, not metric.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I have this kit and like it also. It has saved me a few times, and is good for cleaning threads. I would also suggest adding their spark plug thread repair tap also. It works the same way without cutting into the metal.
did you buy the smaller one? or the larger catalog-only kit?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was the smaller kit I believe. I would love to have a full set of these covering all of the sizes.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a simialar problem working on vw where I work and had to call my snap on guy and get a set just like that for a $100.00. It's a life saver sometimes!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

FYI Autozone has this in their Loan-A-Tool program. The P/N is 27142. The deposit is somewhere around $90. No one knows they have this in stock, so most of the time the thing is brand new on the shelf.

Quick Reply: Tool Review: Craftsman Thread Restorer Kit