Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

mig aluminum ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mig aluminum ?

i have a mig welder at work, and i need to weld some intercooler piping on my car. all of my intercooler piping is aluminum

what would it take for me to be able to mig aluminum ? just different wire and gas ?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually you need a spoolgun if the welder isn't setup to weld aluminum already. I would get it tig welded though, less chance of it leaking.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Gas needs to be 100% argon, wire. SKILL!!!
And AL likes to swell when heated so if you have .030" wire use a .035" tip on the gun.
If you have a basic gun (not a spool/push pull) IMO i like to set the tension of the wire as little as possible so you do not get a birds nest if the wire swells.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

so a spool gun is not necessary ?

also i mig weld steel just fine and do not find it difficult as long as the metal is clean

is it much different to mig aluminum ?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by elias_799
so a spool gun is not necessary ?

also i mig weld steel just fine and do not find it difficult as long as the metal is clean

is it much different to mig aluminum ?
You do not need to use a spool gun.
Find some scrap AL and try it - personally i have both kinds of welders, i would TIG weld over Mig weld AL anyday.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

i would tig the aluminum tubing, even a skilled welder will have trouble welding tubing like that without blowing through it. if you have it on some sort of turn table or positioner, it it will be much easier. i've only welded sheetmetal with aluminum mig, .080"-.125", when i worked in a fab shop building truck accessories like tool boxes, light bars, headache racks, etc...

Aluminum works best with a push-pull gun, but a spool gun will work too, although they can be a pain in the ***. i've personally never seen anyone use a standard mig lead like you would use on steel hardwire, i'm pretty certain it won't work. the wire is way too soft to be pushed through the liner, that's why the push-pull guns are used, they pull the wire off the roll instead of having the wire pushed through the lead up to the gun.

You will need straight argon for sure. the aluminum mig process doesn't run anything like steel. it's not a globular transfer like you're used to seeing on steel. when the machine is running right, it should just have a slight hissing sound to it and feed smoothly. no special technique or movement is necessary, just pull the trigger and start moving forward. you should be able to tune it to where there is no spatter, all you would have is a black smoke/dust lining your bead.

Be sure to clean the weld affected zone thoroughly. absolutly no grease, oil, dirt, or anything can be on either side of the weld zone, otherwise it will be drawn into the puddle and ruin the weld...then you've got a hell of a mess to grind out.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Not sure on aluminum, but steel tends to pull/warp a good bit if the fitment isn't good pre-weld. I haven't welded any tubular aluminum so I can't say for sure how much difference there is in warpage between al and steel, but it's something to keep in mind if you're running the tubing through a tight area.

Even a small amount of pull on the welded end of the tubing can translate into a decent amount on the opposite end, with the determining factor being how long the section of tubing is and the size of the gap in the fitment.

I found this link pretty helpful when I tried my hand at Al...
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...compactmig.asp
Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

^ also a good point. When you go to fit up the piping, be sure to tack the joint in one spot and re-check your fitment, then tack it 180* or so away from the first tack, then again at 90* and 270*, checking fitment each time. It's like the old "measure twice, cut one" saying. Once you like it, weld it out.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
... i've personally never seen anyone use a standard mig lead like you would use on steel hardwire, i'm pretty certain it won't work. ...
It works, but... You have to install a teflon liner in the torch hose, install U-groove rollers, and run big wire, like .045". This wire is stiff enough to be pushed through the hose, usually. It still won't be reliable like steel wire or a spool gun. And its kinda difficult to weld .065 inter cooler tube with .045" wire.
I forgot, do you use V-grooves or U-groove rollers for aluminum?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

i have this mig welder at work

http://www.telwin.com/webtelwin/prod...Form&E|821055|

you guys think i should even bother to try to convert it to mig aluminum or it would be cheaper for me to pay somebody to get it tiged ?

but i like to do as much stuff as possible myself when i work on my own car. but unfortunately i do not know how to use a tig or have the money to buy one
Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

dont mess around with trying to mig weld al... its not easy and looks like **** not to mention u would need to buy aluminum filler and rent a tank of argon... u will more than likely blow through the tubing cuz its so thin... ur better off making all ur tubing draw lines across the cut points to line the tubing back up and paying someone to tig weld it for u

Quick Reply: mig aluminum ?