Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which brand do you prefer?
Kobalt
30.39%
Craftsman
69.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything Craftsman from the last 5 yrs or so. They've sold out and the chinese make their tools now, they're junk. I've got some 20-30 yr old Craftsman tools that are un-*******-breakable. You won't find ANYTHING unbreakable in your local Sears anymore. If you want Craftsman brand, hit your local pawn shops and garage sales.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
I wouldn't buy anything Craftsman from the last 5 yrs or so. They've sold out and the chinese make their tools now, they're junk. I've got some 20-30 yr old Craftsman tools that are un-*******-breakable. You won't find ANYTHING unbreakable in your local Sears anymore. If you want Craftsman brand, hit your local pawn shops and garage sales.
Not their hand tools. My socket set has "Made in USA" stamped on them and I bought them 2 years ago.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not their hand tools. My socket set has "Made in USA" stamped on them and I bought them 2 years ago.
"Made in the USA" doesn't mean anything anymore. All their required to do is actually put that stamp on the socket, and they are allowed to brand it as made here since the stamp was done state side.

Almost everything is made overseas now.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

"Made in the USA" doesn't mean anything anymore. All their required to do is actually put that stamp on the socket, and they are allowed to brand it as made here since the stamp was done state side.
This is actually not correct. The made in the USA claim is only acceptable for products that are "all or substantially all" actually made here, according to the FTC rule. You can't make the entire thing overseas and then just apply a stamp that says it was made here.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm

The Standard For Unqualified Made In USA Claims

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.
Now, of course they could still chose to make them overseas and advertise them as made in the USA but that would not be acceptable. Actually Sears was sued over this a few years ago because this seemed to be what they were doing.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html
Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Agreed. Myself have a bunch of snap on,matco,set of mac sockets that are nice, and bunch of cornwell. Cornwells tools are price pretty well for a quality tool. I bought my larger wrenches from them Inch and up. Snap on wants $90 plus bucks per wrench anything over a inch in size. cornwell was 65 bucks Made in the USA lifetime guarantee. But if you hit up the pawn shops and yard sales and find old craftsmen tools that are old, Probly worth there money.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of Crasftsmen tools earlier this year. Gotta say the ratches are kind of junky IMO, probably going to buy something better to replace them once they break. The rest of the stuff seems pretty damn good though, but then again I only occasionally wrench on my car, I'm not a professional.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had good luck with Craftsman hand tools. I am pretty hard on tools and have break a few every year and on each of those occasions I have walked in to a Sears and recieved a new tool no questions asked. That to me is a huge draw even if the tools aren't of the highest quality.

With Snap on or Matco I have find a guy first to even buy the tools. Then once I track him down I have to do it every time I break something. If I am working on my own junk it may not be a huge deal, but if I'm working on someone elses junk I may not have time to wait.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Craftsman is cool because if anything goes wrong with the tool they take it back. I have watched (in horror and embarrassment) my father bring back tools he bought before I was born that had started to fall apart and they handed him the brand new version. I like dewalt for drills-uses a strong lithium ion battery which really gives it some power. Dremel has some good quality tools too.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99TransAm GF
Craftsman is cool because if anything goes wrong with the tool they take it back. I have watched (in horror and embarrassment) my father bring back tools he bought before I was born that had started to fall apart and they handed him the brand new version.
Snap-On drives right up to my shop and hands me brand new tools once a week.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nissan 570sx
Snap-On drives right up to my shop and hands me brand new tools once a week.
but they don't drive right up to my house and do the same.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
but they don't drive right up to my house and do the same.
That would be pretty nice if they did.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM

I just gt rid of my craftsman tool sets.... ratchets are loose sockets all of them poorly machined inside the socket and the "6point" set of wrenches bent, chrome flaked off and also like the sockets have rust but are kept in the garage and cleaned every weak with oil.... my craftsman pliers garbage.... teeth didnt match and handles slid. My kobalts are awsome!!! i now swear by them! the wrenches are great and effin solid, i picked up the top notch ratchets and are perfect super tight and strong as hell, sockets are far better made and really hug the head!! hands down best tools ive got. my snap on and matco are.... sold off the truck took long and the ratched stripped also breaer bar broke and tourque bar.. digi one clicked and broke so ya... kobalt hands down, grab a kobalt and your current tool nd punish them head to head and see for your self but also my personal opinion
Old 06-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, from the dead. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an extensive collection of Kobalt tools. I had one socket set that used unique sockets that were open on both ends and used special rachets for them. I bought it specifically for working on the Camaro because i was doing suspension work at the time and it seemed like all the deep sockets and conventional ratchets were either too big or not deep enough or something.

I love that Kobalt tool set. The open end desiegn eliminated the need to carry two sets of sockets around (deep and non deep) and the unique slip over design allows me to set the socket first then put the ratchet on. That fancy feature really counted when I was installing the tick master cylinder.

I had to buy another set a few years later because I lost the number 10 socket. The new set, while convential design has a pretty solid machined graphite feel to it and I just love clicking it and feeling the machined precisioness.

Kobalts pretty good stuff. I heart it.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

90% of my hand tools are Craftsman. That being said, Kobalt tools were made in USA up to a couple years ago and I considered switching since Lowes is very close. Now they're Taiwan I believe. There's only a couple Sears in town and neither is very close to me. Last time I went there about 30-40% of the hand tools said made in China. I only do weekend work on my car and I've even managed to break a few Craftsman sockets that said "Made in USA". I would love to be able to buy the Snap-Ons but when I need something, I need it and can't hunt down some re-seller to order it.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

craftsman here

kobalt is chinese crap
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 AM
TECH Regular

Go with craftsman. Join the craftsman club and just wait a bit for a good sale. I got my big roll away (about 4' high x 6' long) for half off. Ball Bering and all for 600. Also got a 314? Piece mechanics kit for like 200 bucks. All hand tools etc though power tools go with dewalt!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

where is the both poll? I like the both
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Um NO!!!
Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
craftsman here

kobalt is chinese crap
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Since I don't use tools that much, I go with craftsman hand tools and for my bday I got a E series 19.2 volt drill from them. Haven't used the drill much, but I love it for my home projects. The hand tools, I think I have only broken some stuff, and sears replaced them no issues. I have gotten my dad some Kobalt stuff, and he likes it, but he hasn't abused his stuff too much either. For drill bits, I like Dewalts stuff, especially with their super sweet quick disconnect adapter for the bits (also bday present, I know dewalt is kinda pricey). Now if I was using tools every day as a Mechanic or something, Snap On or Mac is what I would be using.

Quick Reply: Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools