Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which brand do you prefer?
Kobalt
30.39%
Craftsman
69.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools

Alright, I'm about to start my collection of tools, replacing the crappy stuff I have now (off brands, discounts, crap) and I've heared good things about Kobalt (like being made by Snap-On), but I hear Craftsman's warranty is much more simplified. I've never broken a tool before, so I've never actually had to return one.

Anyway, what do YOU suggest or use?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I work at Lowes and we have very few problems with Kobalt tools. The only real experiance I had with Craftsman was my dad's 18 volt power tool set that was a POS.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Poll added.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For hand tools I always buy Craftsman if I can. They don't even ask me questions, I just say I broke this. They go to the shelf and hand me a new one and a exchange receipt. They even took back a flat head screw driver I wasn't paying much attention to when it was in my hand, touched some things, melted half the head off, took it in, new screwdriver.

Power tools I would steer away, my Craftsman drill feels kinda weak compared to other brands. Their lifetime warranty doesn't apply to the power tools or jacks, which sucks because after 4 years of service my low aluminum jack broke.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Alright, I'm about to start my collection of tools, replacing the crappy stuff I have now (off brands, discounts, crap) and I've heared good things about Kobalt (like being made by Snap-On), but I hear Craftsman's warranty is much more simplified. I've never broken a tool before, so I've never actually had to return one.

Anyway, what do YOU suggest or use?
Craftsman

I worked at Lowe's for awhile & the Kobalt series is very nice stuff, Craftsman is just better IMO
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Handtools Id say Craftsman all the way. As stated earlier, no problems getting new ones when I snap a head on a screw driver.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I really don't know what to vote for. Some craftsman stuff seams cheap, and same with Kobalt. BUT I do have a set of Kobalt drill bits that are really good. They've got a kind of split tip to help bite the metal and they cut really good, but once that tip wears out, the bits don't cut very well.

My buddy has a set of craftsman ratchet wrenches that are junk I've got a Craftsman tool box that isn't bad, but once it's full and worn in, it's flimsy. -Time for a MACsimiser. http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/3/5...4298025_tp.jpg I have NO room left in my Craftsman roll-away @ about 5'5" tall. Oh, and come to think of it, I've got a small little two drawer Kobalt Tool box that I got for my house out west when I didn't have my big box. It actually works great. Locking drawers and a nice handle on it. That little bastard holds a LOT too! Got one for my cousin for Christmas.

I've got some Craftsman metric wrenches that my uncle bought me that are nice and thick, no problems with those. Otherwise I have mostly Snap-On tools, IR, CH, De-Walt, and a couple SK left-overs from auto tech school from 99.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 05-11-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

I had a Kobalt tool. I forgot what it's called because i've been drinking. It's thte one thing that takes the sockets and clicks a bunch whe you turn it one direction. Well it broke.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As said already Craftsman for any hand tools. (I have a mixed bad of different name brand, off brand for hand tools and never broken a single one, I might add.)

I also have a floor jack and two 3 ton stands that are Kobalt. They serve me well and never had a problem. Only a couple years old, but still look like new.

When it comes to power tools I don't have any preferences except that small drills and such by Black and Decker have always served me well, but I always feel I'm about 3 seconds away from killing it.
I generally buy whatever of the top names brands (dewalt, ryobi, skihl, etc.) that happens to be the cheapest or on sale.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayer-z28

My buddy has a set of craftsman ratchet wrenches that are junk I've got a Craftsman tool box that isn't bad, but once it's full and worn in, it's flimsy. -Time for a MACsimiser. http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/3/5...4298025_tp.jpg I have NO room left in my Craftsman roll-away @ about 5'5" tall.

I've got some Craftsman metric wrenches that my uncle bought me that are nice and thick, no problems with those. Otherwise I have mostly Snap-On tools, IR, CH, De-Walt, and a couple SK left-overs from auto tech school from 99.
I have some ratcheting wrenches, but I don't count on them much. I know in very specific situations the concept is welcome, but my cheap matching sets of standard and metric open end/boxed end wrenches are easily my most used tools.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Craftsman are decent quality, and you can usually get better deals on them from Sears. I usually don't see good deals on Kobalt tools.

I have a few power tools from Craftsman, but I don't beat the crap out of them. I don't think they're as good as some other brands out there, but they're not bad. Usually pretty good for the money.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked Craftsman in the 80's, but today I'm not such a big fan.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by justin455
I have some ratcheting wrenches, but I don't count on them much. I know in very specific situations the concept is welcome, but my cheap matching sets of standard and metric open end/boxed end wrenches are easily my most used tools.
His are really picky. If you're NOT DEAD STRAIGHT they don't ratchet, just free wheel. Can't put them on any kind of angle/offset or pressure.

oh, and my buddy has a Kobalt 28gal (?) Air Compressor that I am NOT a fan of!! That FPOS NEVER SHUTS OFF!! It can be fully charged with 90psi of line pressure, use an impact with it for 2 seconds and that damn thing kicks on and runs for 15 minutes!!! and it LOUD AS ***!! After his head and cam swap, we just started swearing and yelling at it when it kicked on.. That and we were already at our witts end trying to find his damn valve train tickin noise which turned out to be the damn oil pump o-ring...... after a MONTH of throwing parts at it..

I've got a craftsman 32gal compressor here in the basement and that thing is a LOT quieter when it kicks on. and it seems to build pressure a lot faster than the Kobalt. Both 2 stage compressors. I've got a 150' hose reel with this thing too. Powers a DA for about 5 min, then has to recharge again. Whaddya want tho, with a DA... those hog a LOT of air.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Snap-On ftw
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Or MAC.. I love MAC tools. I try not to buy cheap stuff, if I can help it.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Snap-on lol nah if your not looking to spend $1k on a nice socket set then don't go with the high end brands. Craftsman for me if i chose between the 2 in the poll
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought Husky about 5 years ago and have had no qualms with their quality, they just don't make the specialty stuff that Craftsmen does. So I have been going back and filling my already full drawers with an extra set of everything that is Craftsmen b/c I have been finding killer deals.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM
On the tree

I am mainly a craftman person, but I do have some Kobalt stuff I bought when I worked for Lowes that got clearenced out that is decent as well. The only gripe with the Kobalt ratchets is the handle design, it is not hand friendly.

Other than that both seem decent. I do love my new Craftsman tool box I got last year on the 50% sale. It is one of the bigger roll around units. Usually goes for $1100 but I got it for $500 something.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Launching!

strap on, matco, mac, or cornwell
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Not to impressed with craftsman tools anymore. Seems like the quality keeps going down hill with them. I've recently started buying a lot of the gearwrench tools for our tool guy at work. Really nice stuff plus they give you free stuff sometimes.

Quick Reply: Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools