Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which brand do you prefer?
Kobalt
30.39%
Craftsman
69.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
OLD Craftsman is good stuff, back before they sold out to 12 yr old kids building their tools in sweatshops over in China. Now, they're stuff is garbage. I have some Craftsman stuff from the 70s that's virtually unbreakable, yet everything I've picked up from Sears in the past 10 years has broken at some point.

Perfect example: I've got a 3/8 IR Titanium Impact that's ballsy as hell. At full power it can deliver 300ft lbs of TQ. I use this gun for almost everything. My old Craftsman CHROME sockets have taken a beating from this gun for several years. Last year, I lost my trusty 15mm Craftsman chrome socket, that was probably 20 yrs old. Went and picked up a new one from Sears, and snapped it in 2 the second time I put it on my IR impact.

Husky is also the same way. They've sold out, and now all their **** is garbage.

I'm also scared to say, that Snap on is slipping a little too. I've bought/broken a few things from Snap on the past couple of years that shouldn't have broke.
Pretty much sums it up as far as tools go.

I had a 1/4 inch drive craftsman ratchet from the mid 1970's that has broken lugs loose. Unfortunately I lost it recently.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOSE
Wow, from the dead. Thanks.
Sounds like a Kobalt shill to me also.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, since it's alive again... I have all Craftsman hand tools, but most of my stuff is from the 80's when their **** was virtually indestructible (thus why I still have it). Wouldn't trade 'em for all the fake steel in China!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I've got more Stanley tools than anything, and have no complaints on them. They handle my abuse. I really am not brand picky. If I see a good deal on at least a name brand, I won't be picky. I'll go with the good deal.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer Snap-On but I have both Craftsman and Kobalt tools in my box. They both make decent tools for the money.

I do prefer Kobalt Ratchets though.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

i have lots of craftsman made in the usa-- i now live in canada and stopped buying craftsman there when they switched to japan -- it was junk compared.. so i drove to WA to buy tools..

i have some snap on- mac etc.. last year bought some craftsman and noticed they were bringing in china ****.. so this year i have spent $1k+ easily with snap on-- ebay for snap on etc.. my craftsman stuff is now in the car trailer for race weekends..

even snap on i ask him if i dont see USA where its made.. taiwan for some bluepoint ok-- but i want made in NOT CHINA.. or i wont buy it-- i do the same for auto parts now IF i have a choice

ie-- wix filters are (last i checked USA) and many others are offshore so i only buy wix now
Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW I just got some craftsman wrenches for my dad. Most were printed (in tiny letters on a sticker) Made in China So I made a comment about that to the cashier and she sneered at me, "Oh, you're one of those people." Then she went on some small rant about how we are such a rich country and we could be living in mud huts like people in Europe Wow. So stupid. I should have just left the wrenches there and told her to forget it.

If I didn't care where stuff is made I'd buy Stanley from Walmart - same warranty as Craftsman and costs 1/2 the price.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

I like both & kinda just buy whats on sale. If I get a deal I go that way.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I bought a full set of Craftsman hand tools around the holidays when everything is on sale, also bought a big tool box and most of the 19.2v tools.

Recently I have been buying impact sockets for the shop, including a full set of 1/2" deep from crafsamn - problem is that the set was missing about 5 sockets and you can't buy them loose (they don't even make them) - so I bought Kobalt sockets to fill in. Definitely a lighter material, but time will tell of the durability.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I have a wide selection of both Craftsman and Kobalt tools, largely because I live a great town that has both a Sears and a Lowe's near my home. Both stores have had specials on the tools that I've wanted and needed throughout the years, so I've bought them with impunity.

Honestly, I think that the quality of a tool can often be affected by how the user treats it. If the tool is subjected to frequent, strained use that is obviously beyond its intended purpose or design, or any manner of unintended abuse, it can be damaged and/or break from mistreatment.

An example of this is the 50-piece ratchet set that I purchased for myself 21 years ago. It is a generic brand that I bought for like 10 bucks at ACE Hardware. I'm a sort of weekend warrior, and I take good care of my tools. My ratchet set has handled hundreds of nuts and bolts in all types of weather, and has remained a solid addition to my home garage.

In short, if you take care of your tools — whether they be Craftsman or Kobalt — your tools will take care of you. This same philosophy applies to F-bodies.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Staging Lane

I chose kobalt because lowes is 3mi from my home and sears is 30 min. Yes that was the deciding factor. I read till I was blue in the face. Most if not all of my basic hand tools are kobalt. I go to sears for specific tools like hose clamp pliers and stuff like that, just stuff I can't find at lowes.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM

I have Matco,Craftsman and Snap On at work including Mac.Had a Snap On dealer come in,he treated me like crap and gave me the run around on a warranty on a couple broken sockets that were a friend of mine owned.Told me they were not purchased from him refusing to replace them and we kicked him out for bad service.Have a Matco tool dealer that comes in on Wendsdays,the best service.My home toolbox,Tons of Mac,Matco,Snap On and Craftsman and SK.I know Mac and Matco used to be together,split in 1979 and Matco went thier seperate ways selling their tools.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if you can report bad dealers to Snap-On. Warranty on tools is not dependent on what dealer you bought it from.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM

That was put to a stop with the not purchased from me excuse which Snap On dealers pulled.The Mac dealer I had quit 4 years ago,I send my broken Mac tools in to get replaced. http://www.mactools.com/CustomerServ...8/Default.aspx
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I use a little of everything, heck half of all my tools right now are harbor freight or wal-mart knock off knock off's.. if I need a specialty tool, or something that won't break I go see our man in the local mac tools truck! still have an oil filter wrench that fits on a ratchet. it was the only way I could get to and change my oil filter on my LT1 (longer filter and hooker LT's).. come to think of it I probably need to dig that out for my next oil change on the formula. 8 years of removing oil filters and still works like it did when it was new. $15 for that thing though...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had my best experience with Craftsman tools more so than Kobalt. I know I've destroyed the insides of a few Kobalt ratchets. Their ratcheting mechanism is very cheap and weak. Also with their sockets. It seems Craftsman have better edges on the sockets.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00927032000P

buy a C-Clamp and you are able to brakes and most maintenance on the truck

Honestly...people can bash Craftsman all they want...I WORK ON THE BIGGEST PIECE OF ***** PERIOD and they have never let me down. I only had to warranty out one socket b/c I split it when I put it on the impact gun.

As far as their EVOLV Series which is cheaper in price but seems to be the same quality. I bought vice grips in the evolv series SAME quality as the original Craftsman ones I bought. I also bout hex keys too. Don't think I need heavy duty one's when taking apart interiors. But read the reviews they are great!

The only tools in my box that are Snap On are my ratchets, a few specialty tools, screw drivers and impact hammer and gear wrenches.

Personally I like the SNAP ON Ratchets b.c I feel their gear ratio is closer which is good in tight spots. I also like their 3/8 ratchet which has a little longer handle with a cushion at the end. I used the Ratchet to take my tranny out the truck!

I wish harbor freight was around when I started...could be talking a different game.

A co-worker of mine has top notch ratchets but everything else harbor freight. He has not had a problem yet.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

My brother owns two sears franchises and has worked there about all his life. If you want to save money buy most of the hand tool at christmas time, most are about half the price.

Quick Reply: Craftsman vs. Kobalt Tools