Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

110v TIG

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 110v TIG

I searched and read for a while, and it seems that people are pretty happy with the name brand TIG machines that run 220/110. I want something that is somewhat portable and run off 110 and can hold its own. I can TIG weld very well, I have a miller XMT 350 at work, I use for arc and TIG, some mild steel and lots of stainless and I love TIG welding stainless. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much for a machine to have at home though. I dont think id ever stick weld or weld anything really thick for the most part on my vehicles. I just want the ability to do exhaust, small fab work etc. with it. So im thinking of buying a 110v machine for the price/ portabilitly. Anyone have one that they have used a lot and would like to comment? More towards running it off of 110 that 220. I saw in a few threads people used them on 110 in a pinch and were happy, but what about only running on 110, since more than likely, thats what id be doing.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
I searched and read for a while, and it seems that people are pretty happy with the name brand TIG machines that run 220/110. I want something that is somewhat portable and run off 110 and can hold its own. I can TIG weld very well, I have a miller XMT 350 at work, I use for arc and TIG, some mild steel and lots of stainless and I love TIG welding stainless. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much for a machine to have at home though. I dont think id ever stick weld or weld anything really thick for the most part on my vehicles. I just want the ability to do exhaust, small fab work etc. with it. So im thinking of buying a 110v machine for the price/ portabilitly. Anyone have one that they have used a lot and would like to comment? More towards running it off of 110 that 220. I saw in a few threads people used them on 110 in a pinch and were happy, but what about only running on 110, since more than likely, thats what id be doing.
miller dynasty 200 is happy on 110 or 220 or 3 phase... It welds great whatever you are plugged in to and it's 45 lbs. Although it's about $3000...
Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out diversion 165 or check into the dynasty200dx like mentioned above. I just started using the dynasty and it depends on your amps on weather you really need to use 220 or not. (from what I read) Meaning you might be limited to thickness by only using 110.

I say save your money and buy something you cant outgrow. The good thing about inverter based tig machines, is they pull a smaller amount of amps, which works better for garages at home. (plus they are way smaller than transformer based machines)

You can check into a used syncrowave, but it will be bigger and have more demanding electrical hookups. (pulled amps from outlet no 110 hookup)

There is also a non aluminium welding dc only dynasty 200 that is slightly cheaper. ( not anything I would buy )
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys. maybe ill just suck it up and buy the dynasty, thats seems to be a popular model.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

anyone recommend a good place online to purchase the miller from? probably save me an arm and a leg, but I may try local too.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
anyone recommend a good place online to purchase the miller from? probably save me an arm and a leg, but I may try local too.
cyberweld.com

and there is no dc only dynasty. Every dynasty is ac/dc.

The dynasty sd is a basic one, while the dx has more options, like adjustable wave forms and such.... but both are ac/dc...
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

great, thanks again!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

hobart makes a tig inverter its about 900$
Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

I would recommend this if you don't intend to weld aluminum.
I bought other Miller welders from Indiana Oxygen on ebay, quite a bit cheaper than Miller's suggested retail.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
cyberweld.com

and there is no dc only dynasty. Every dynasty is ac/dc.

The dynasty sd is a basic one, while the dx has more options, like adjustable wave forms and such.... but both are ac/dc...
my mistake It must have been late that night I read about that one.

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I would recommend this if you don't intend to weld aluminum.
I bought other Miller welders from Indiana Oxygen on ebay, quite a bit cheaper than Miller's suggested retail.
I also bought mine through them and got 200 cash back from bing using buy it now.

Sadly they are doing away with that program, so you have to hurry to get 200 off.

Quick Reply: 110v TIG