Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

porting bits? which ones to use

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default porting bits? which ones to use

i have my mac tools mini 90 degree angle grinder. im going to be porting a couple of tbs and mafs i have at home and i needed to know which bits i use and whats grinding bits to help sand. links, pics, part numbers, or well anything along those lines would work. thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1VMF0MPDYQKRK8
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

cylinderheadsupply.com is a neat place to look for stuff
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those double cut bits will suck in aluminum (they'll get plugged up right away and cut slow), and will be marginal in stuff like plastics. What you really want is the harder to find, single cut "alumicut" bits, with much coarser teeth (some wax or other lubricant on them will help keep them from getting plugged up with aluminum).

An air angle grinder is really the wrong tool also, it will be difficult to control and won't let you get into some of the smaller spaces. At a minimum, a straight die grinder, but the longer it is the easier it will be to deal with things. Most electric grinders are 2-3x as long as an air die grinder, and even with their greater bulk they're much easier to use and control. You'll also find that most air grinders really turn too fast to work well with cabide burrs.

Also, for stuff like throttle bodies and mafs, or anything fairly regular shaped, it's tons easier to just do it with a mill or lathe. I've done tons of work like this before by hand, and even then I found that stuff like that went faster chucking up the carbide bit in the drill press. Now that I have a mill and lathe, I've found that I can do this kind of work in a fraction of the time that I could in any other way by hand.

Quick Reply: porting bits? which ones to use