Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman make a descent torque wrench??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a98
Just looked at that precision torque wrench, that is a very good price if it's as good as everyone says.
The Precision works just fine. I know a lot of guys who use them. If I didn't have my Matco 3/8", I would buy a Precision wrench. Cool thing about the split beam is that you don't have to set it back to "0" for storage.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
No. I can tell you from first hand experience that ALL of the newer gen Craftsman TQ wrenches are absolute junk. I racked up a bunch of points in my old sears card and used them on 2 Craftsman TQ wrenches. I went through about 4-5 of them before I asked for a refund. My $19.99 Harbor Freight torque wrench is more accurate than Craftsman junk. Craftsman is no longer what it used to be, and never will be again. They've sold out to the cheapest bidder overseas.

Precision Instruments makes a great TQ wrench that's affordable and VERY accurate.
http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...-c2fr100f.aspx
I agree. I have a new craftman t/q wrench and was using it to do my cam swap a month ago. As I was torquing the oil pump bolts it seemed like i was tightening too much. I stopped and got out our old *** dial type t/q wrench and had over torqued by 10 ft lbs. Luckily Im not a complete moron and didnt keep cranking down on the bolts when i suspected something was up. I backed off the bolts and retorqued to spec with the dial indicator wrench and then grabbed our chinese made t/q wrench and it clicked right on que. Craftmans could have cost me a lot of time, money, and frustration with stripped out or overtightened bolts on the soft aluminum.

A chinese made wrench out performed an american made wrench what a shame. From now on i only use the craftsman to torque my lugnuts since overtorquing those by 20 ft. lbs wont be a big deal.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Launching!

So what's a good 1/4" drive torque wrench for the lower torque stuff?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You realize every torque wrench needs to be calibrated regularly? How do you know you didnt undertorque them by ten ft/lbs? Did you have the old one calibrated? How about the new one? Yea. You sure about that complete moron line you said? Just don't cry when stuff starts falling off your car.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ps the torque wrenches are made in georgia, forget the manufacturer but I'll let you know

Edit: j.s. Technology. They make craftsman gearwrench and napa torque wrenches

Last edited by t/a98; 01-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by t/a98
You realize every torque wrench needs to be calibrated regularly? How do you know you didnt undertorque them by ten ft/lbs? Did you have the old one calibrated? How about the new one? Yea. You sure about that complete moron line you said? Just don't cry when stuff starts falling off your car.
If you are talking to me then maybe you should learn to read. I said the craftsman wrench is new.......as in been used maybe twice. If a wrench needs to be calibrated that soon then thats even more reason for me to call it a peice of ****. And when I checked the torque with 3 other wrenches and they all clicked right on que im seriouisly doubting my other wrenches are all off by the exact same amount. But hey you seem to know everything, right?

And I have no idea what the "there made in georgia" crap is about. Anyways, when you get your foot out of your mouth feel free to do more trolling in this thread.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly, meaning the new one is closer to correct than an old one. The made in Georgia was to whoever said they are contracted to china, I don't think you said that.

Most torque wrenches, minus beam style, use twisted metal wire under tension to measure torque, these fatigue over time causing the wrench to be off. Trying to help not hurt, but whatever, have fun.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Craftsman torque wrenches are hand calibrated too. Maybe you got a lemon but that doesn't mean they are all bad. The only ones I see returned are abused. Overtorqueing the lock collar, or twisting the handle past zero, spilling the guts of the wrench.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Teching In

I dont think craftsman could make a decent toothpick now.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Damian
No. I can tell you from first hand experience that ALL of the newer gen Craftsman TQ wrenches are absolute junk. I racked up a bunch of points in my old sears card and used them on 2 Craftsman TQ wrenches. I went through about 4-5 of them before I asked for a refund. My $19.99 Harbor Freight torque wrench is more accurate than Craftsman junk. Craftsman is no longer what it used to be, and never will be again. They've sold out to the cheapest bidder overseas.

Precision Instruments makes a great TQ wrench that's affordable and VERY accurate.
http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...-c2fr100f.aspx
I have 4 Craftsman torque wrenches.

3 clickers:

5~80 ft-lbs 2 weeks old (digitork)
20~150ft-lbs 7 years old
50~250ft-lbs 2 years old (digitork)

plus

one beam wrench
0~45ft-lbs 20 years old

I took them all to work today and verified their accuracy on an Atlas Copco ACTA3000 calibration instrument. The clickers are all within 1 ft-lbs and in fact the oldest one is within 0.5 ft-lbs. The beam wrench was 3 ft-lbs high at 35ft-lbs and 4 ft-lbs high at 45.

Hardly what I would call junk regarding the clickers. I've built several motors with the beam wrench and never had a problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

**** crapsman.. Spend some money on a good one and save urself a headache.. Snap-on digital
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Default Craftsman is junk

I paid 250 for a craftsman 1/2 inch "Digitork" 25-250 ft lb torque wrench that is terribly inaccurate. I used it maybe 6 times a year for 2 years. It will not click on anything over 65 ft lbs of torque. After snapping an arp head bolt I tested it against my buddies snap on to find that they weren't even close. I am not a fan of craftsman at all but didn't want to pay $500 for the snap on. I learned the hard way and threw that piece of crap in the scrap bin. I had to borrow one to finish the head job and am currently in the market for a new one. If I want a junk chinese tool from now on I will go to harbor freight. They seem to have about the same quality as craftsman these days.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can find used snap on 3/8 torque wrenches on Ebay for $250 .the kid buys 1 new for $500 ,then needs to sell it to pay for school.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

kd tools, also known as Danaher, makes matco digital, and maybe all, torque wrenches. All you have to remember about all these big name tool companies is that they dont make ****! there is always a lower company with a different name, making the same product. some of the stuff are the reject tools that the tolerances dont meet with the standards of the BIG name guys but some of the stuff is just stamped a different name. the kd tools torque wrench is 100% exactly the same as the matco. just a different name on the grip. and 1/3 the price. on amazon for $230, matco sells it for over 500. gearwrench is also matco. I went to advance auto and bought a 60 tooth gearwrench ratchet for $30 and got the 88 tooth match rebuild kit for $20. boom! $120 ratchet for 50 bucks... you just gotta know what to buy.
KD Tools (Danaher) 1/2" Drive Electronic Torque Wrench 25-250 ft lbs - KDT85071 : Amazon.com : Automotive KD Tools (Danaher) 1/2" Drive Electronic Torque Wrench 25-250 ft lbs - KDT85071 : Amazon.com : Automotive
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...CH-WITH-ANGLE/
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't be ******* liberal ***** who buys tools, uses them and then returns them. If that's how you want to be, you aren't a true american thus don't belong in this country.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Where do you take a torque wrench to get calibrated anyways?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd buy an older used Snapon "click" style over a brand new Craftsman any day of the week. As mentioned, Craftsman is NOT what it once was. I'm still fairly pissed off about the movement for them to make the tools overseas. I've got thousands of dollars in older Craftsman tools which were all purchased between 1994-2006, and when those tools do break, I'll be getting an inferior product as a replacement. To give an idea, I frequently use the Torx bits for a 3/8" drive ratchet. One of those bits used to last me about 6 months before the corners would get rounded off. Now I go through them quite frequently, to the point where they usually break in half before the corners round off, so now I keep about 6 on hand at any given time. I've tried some other brands as well, all with the same results. The Sears counter guy always shakes his head when I come in to replace a half dozen of them at a time.

This is not what I signed on for, nor did anyone else IMO. New world economy..... it's so awesome!

:rant turned off now.

Mike
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree........the deal with craftsman really chaps my ***.

I tore up a 1/4 drive ratchet the other day......took it in for replacement......they gave me a refurbished one.........got home and it was fucked too...had to drive all the way back to the store and I demanded a new one. They gave me a new one no questions asked but damn................
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only thing I DON'T like about my precision torque wrench is setting the trq specs. Wish the numbers and dashes were colored in to see them a little better.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had a Craftsman beam style torque wrench
for 30+ years that's foolproof. I never will trust a
"clicker" type. I have one, I set it below the target
and use it to get up to the last half turn or so and
then use the fixed-head beam wrench.

I don't have any experience with the long term
reliability of dial or digital types, other than one dial
type I have which drifts away from zero every time I
use it (so, not good).

Quick Reply: Craftsman make a descent torque wrench??