Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman make a descent torque wrench??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:04 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are expensive but I only trust snap on for my torque wrenches.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For setting pinion preload I use a KD 1/4" drive beam type...had to special order it.

I also think Craftsman is junk now, my last one's ratchet mechanism broke and they don't even sell repair parts! Picked up a used Snap-on TQFR250E and haven't looked back.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to work at the dealer years ago. I lost most of my tools in Hurricane Katrina and never replaced most of them because a I wasn't working at the dealer anymore.

All of these torque wrenches that you all have stated in this thread, my buddys have in their tool boxes at the dealer. I needed a torque wrench because a friend ask me to put a motor together for him. I bought a cheap *** Harbor Freight torque wrench and then used the 25% off coupon to get it so I paid 30 bucks for it. So in being a little inquisitive, I took the torque wrench to my buddys and we laid all theirs on the table. All those fancy $250-$550 torque wrenches to my $30 one.

At 30 lbs it was dead even. At 60 lbs It was .3 lb off and at 90 lbs it was .8 lb off.

For 30 bucks I'll take the HF anyday and if I need to recalibrate, I buy a new one for 30 bucks.

Quick Reply: Craftsman make a descent torque wrench??