Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Need Jack Stands

I've already got a pretty nice Floor Jack that I like... but I need a good set of jack stands. I'll need to get 4, because I gotta pull the tranny on the car and need the whole thing up in the air. Jack stands are something I'm afraid to by from places like harbor freight. Don't wanna cheap out on something that I'm supposed to trust my life with...

What do you guys reccomend? All the designs I see have a small perch/surface area that the car actually sits on. My dad had some OLD ones that were great because they had a really LARGE perch. But I'm not sure what kind they were.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got some small Craftsman stands, larger Ranger truck stands, and some Esco stands with flat rubber pads for the car to sit on. When I put my Camaro up in the air, I reach for the Esco stands these days.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a good jack stand, I like my Alltrade 3-Ton 'All in One' stands. They have a built-in bottle jack and multi position safety stops. I got mine at Pep Boys about 2 years ago for $39 each. I also use a set of Northern Tools 6-Ton stands, these are heavy duty, a lot better quality than the Harbor Freight stuff and if you catch them on sale, they're less than $40 for a set. Here are a couple of pics of the Alltrade stands with the built-in jack, one pic shows them under my '32 Ford coupe chassis.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Need Jack Stands-all-one-jack-stand.jpg   Need Jack Stands-32-chassis-stands.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are awesome, I'll definitely be getting a set of those
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

napa 3 ton, i have some 6 ton which are a great deal
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike52
For a good jack stand, I like my Alltrade 3-Ton 'All in One' stands. They have a built-in bottle jack and multi position safety stops. I got mine at Pep Boys about 2 years ago for $39 each. I also use a set of Northern Tools 6-Ton stands, these are heavy duty, a lot better quality than the Harbor Freight stuff and if you catch them on sale, they're less than $40 for a set. Here are a couple of pics of the Alltrade stands with the built-in jack, one pic shows them under my '32 Ford coupe chassis.

Mike
wow , never seen those before
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Get at least two 6 ton stands for doing the trans. I've done too many trans swaps I don't like to recall how many.

The six ton stands give you plenty of room to slide the trans out nice once it is on the ground.

For me, working by myself one of the harder parts is putting the trans back on the jack once everything is ready to go back in. I usually stack up small pieces of 2x4's under the front of the trans, then the back. Until the trans is the same height as the jack, then slide it onto the jack.

If you are leaving the car without a trans for awhile don't forget to tie up the motor, or put another jack stand under the oil pan.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I've already got a pretty nice Floor Jack that I like... but I need a good set of jack stands. I'll need to get 4, because I gotta pull the tranny on the car and need the whole thing up in the air. Jack stands are something I'm afraid to by from places like harbor freight. Don't wanna cheap out on something that I'm supposed to trust my life with...

What do you guys reccomend? All the designs I see have a small perch/surface area that the car actually sits on. My dad had some OLD ones that were great because they had a really LARGE perch. But I'm not sure what kind they were.
The harbor freight 12 ton ones are built very well, but are large and heavy. Used them to hold some heavy equipment (20,000+lb) and they work great.

Also have used snap on's and they are nice, but pricey.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

made in USA jack stands

http://www.usjack.com/catalog/Page%2010.pdf

Quick Reply: Need Jack Stands