Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Would this breaker bar work for UDP bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would this breaker bar work for UDP bolt???

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-67933.html

I need to unbolt my balancer bolt and I wonder if this tool would do the job, if not. What you guys recommend???
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks just like the one I have. If you want an easy way to remove the balancer bolt and are SURE you can take every precaution, I'd do it this way.

Take the correct socket and that breaker bar. Unplug the injectors and coil packs, try starting the car for a little bit to make sure it will turn over but not actually start (obviously it won't but just make sure). Now position the breaker bar to where it's right near the ground when on the bolt. Turn the engine over so that the torque from the engine against the breaker bar on the ground will break the bolt loose (make sure you get it on the correct side so you don't actually tighten the bolt). Then just take it out by hand.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imo your still gonna need a 3 to 4 ft. pipe for leverage. Put the car in gear with the e brake on, I stood on the drivers side and pushed like hell and I was suprised how easy it broke loose.

Good luck
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling it off is not as hard as putting it back on though,, its a pain. Indyjc is probably right a cheater bar will definately help. But who knows it may go easy for you..
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also forgot to mention,, that is the exact bar I used to do mine, bought it from harbor freight.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You guy's do things the hard way, if you use your legs for added leverage it's easy with a 16"-18" breaker-bar!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You guy's do things the hard way, if you use your legs for added leverage it's easy with a 16"-18" breaker-bar!
Go from busting knuckles to busting shins lol
Old 12-03-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
Looks just like the one I have. If you want an easy way to remove the balancer bolt and are SURE you can take every precaution, I'd do it this way.

Take the correct socket and that breaker bar. Unplug the injectors and coil packs, try starting the car for a little bit to make sure it will turn over but not actually start (obviously it won't but just make sure). Now position the breaker bar to where it's right near the ground when on the bolt. Turn the engine over so that the torque from the engine against the breaker bar on the ground will break the bolt loose (make sure you get it on the correct side so you don't actually tighten the bolt). Then just take it out by hand.
That's a lot of work. Just buy the correct flywheel locking tool that bolts in place of the starter. Easy and safe. For a breaker bar, I just use the upper handle from my floor jack slipped over a regular 1/2" breaker bar.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Well I have always used a breaker bar about that length and just put against saide frame of car and tap the ignition. Obviously make the car uncapable of starting lol.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use my impact wrench. much easier
Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 777

NEVER do this to ANY engine
Very good way to break the starter ear off the block and/or destroy the starter. Cant believe a moderator suggested it

Plenty of methods around that arent stupid. If the car is a stick, leave it in high gear and use the long breaker bar. Can also hook a motorcycle strap to the balancer and chassis somewhere to lock it. Cut and weld an old flexplate for a cheapo locker tool, overlap an old belt to a pulley, strong impact gun, screwdriver in the flexplate etc

If you're not a total girl that long breaker bar will make short work of the bolt regardless of the method you use to hold the crank still
Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pocket
NEVER do this to ANY engine
Very good way to break the starter ear off the block and/or destroy the starter. Cant believe a moderator suggested it

Plenty of methods around that arent stupid. If the car is a stick, leave it in high gear and use the long breaker bar. Can also hook a motorcycle strap to the balancer and chassis somewhere to lock it. Cut and weld an old flexplate for a cheapo locker tool, overlap an old belt to a pulley, strong impact gun, screwdriver in the flexplate etc

If you're not a total girl that long breaker bar will make short work of the bolt regardless of the method you use to hold the crank still
Exactly, problem is they ARENT mechanics.....
Old 12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 777

WOW! i cant believe ppl actually do this! very dangerous and STUPID imho! i hope you dont take this advice.............
Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

impact wrench..
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 777

Any update on if this character killed himself?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummmmmmm, just get a good impact wrench and you'll have no issues. Plus, if you do any work on your car an impact wrench is one of the best investments you'll ever make.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I bought that bar a number of years ago. It is what it is for the money, but IMO its a piece of ****. Very flimsy and don't be surprised when the head (spot where the socket goes) snaps clean off the bar. But that is the beauty of inexpensive tools, if they break who cares. Just pray it breaks after it served its purpose (removing the bolt in your case).

Originally Posted by jsteele90
i use my impact wrench. much easier
Originally Posted by kissrocker1200
impact wrench..
On some vehicles, there is not enough room to fit an impact wrench into the provided space to remove the crank bolt. I've always seen people bust out the blue wrench before anything else when removing crankshaft pulleys. That is also on 150k+ miles cars in states where rust/corrosion form. Powerful air tools are also worthless without a good air compressor. If you are buying tools from harbor freight, chances are you don't have a good enough compressor for this task.

Originally Posted by spaulsen
WOW! i cant believe ppl actually do this! very dangerous and STUPID imho! i hope you dont take this advice.............
I've seen it done a few times and worked great. Is it the right way to do it? No, but it does work. Never seen/heard of a problem with it. Not exactly the first method of choice, but sometimes when time is not on your side and you lack the proper tools, you do what you gotta do.

Last edited by Bjorn20; 02-10-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Would this breaker bar work for UDP bolt???