Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

is this 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack stronge enought

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
I have one of these. Very nice heavy duty 3 ton jack. Built very solid. I'm guessing it weighs a good 80 lbs. or more.

The thing I don't like with that Craftsman you listed is the small saddle on it. The Harbor Freight jack has a nice big saddle. The only thing that would have been nicer is if they put a rubber pad on the saddle. I did pick up a poly pad that sits on the saddle for about $5 to prevent marring.
I may have to pick one of these up, but am torn between this and an an aluminum one. I had a Sears brand 3-ton for fifteen or so years and it worked great. Hell I never even did any maintenance to it.. But pushing it around and transporting it was a bitch. I know a lot of people use the lightweights but then there seems to be this stigma against them?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The aluminum ones are nice if you need to take it with you and transport it. Nice and light, easy to move around. The thing I don't like about the aluminum jacks is they don't feel very sturdy. You can feel them creaking and flexing under load even with something like a Vette. I have one that I use on smaller cars but I wouldn't try it on an average size SUV or anything like that.

For a dedicated garage jack, a nice heavy steel jack I think is always best.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bramlok
The aluminum ones are nice if you need to take it with you and transport it. Nice and light, easy to move around. The thing I don't like about the aluminum jacks is they don't feel very sturdy. You can feel them creaking and flexing under load even with something like a Vette. I have one that I use on smaller cars but I wouldn't try it on an average size SUV or anything like that.

For a dedicated garage jack, a nice heavy steel jack I think is always best.
That's the nudge I needed. Thanks, lol!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I also just picked up one of those Arcan jacks from Costco for about $100. It's a 3 1/4 ton and really heavy duty. It weighs a good 20 pound more than the heavy harbor freight jack I got.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got this new floor jack today.

2.5 ton low profile - $79.99 can't beat that!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HF is amazing with their prices and coupons.

When I bought the 2t engine hoist, the cashier gave me the sale price for the 1t model.
He also gave me the 1t engine stand for the 500lb stand sale price.

Basically, I got their best stand and hoist for a little over $200...
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I made a mistake on the sears jack

my ideal car jack would inable me to have the rear wheels on my rhino ramps

then let me slide the 2.5ton floor jack under the middle of K-memeber and raise the whole front of car.

?1.will this jack be low enought w/ rear allready on ramps to slide under K-memeber?

?2. when I jack from the middle of the K-memeber (w/ rear allready on ramps) is this like majorely increasing the lift loads weight?

?3.will this jack be long enought to reach the middle of K-memeber?

?4.if yes to ?3. will the pump handle have to be lowered (forceing me to pump many times)?

edit I called about purchaseing a on sale jack and still use the 20% coupon that HF mails me ansewer was yes however this was from some Guy in India not a HF employee so is it true or false coupons can be used to purchase jacks allready on sale?

asking this because you Guy's know the fine print.

Thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ump-68049.html

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: is this 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack stronge enought