Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really sucks to hear. I was looking to buy my first mechanics tool kit from Craftsman this summer. Now that I know they're going to be made in China, I'd like to try to save for something else such as a Snap On set. As people said though, even some of Snap On tools are made out of country. It's terrible to hear that you can tell the quality change in the Craftsman hand tools because they are being made in China and not in the USA anymore. Now a days, it seems that nothing is made the way it used to be and quality is getting thrown away so companies can make more profit on their products.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the machanics tool sets like the 56, 94, 118, 154, 182, 192, 200, 255, 260, 283, etc are all still made in america but thats it. once you get into the gearwrench and evolv line, then its chinese ****. all the wrenches, drivers, sockets, marked craftsman are also made in america. but nothing else is now.

and all those sets do have a lifetime waranty as to any screwdrivers, drivers, wrenches, and sockets. keep in mind that its only products marked craftsman only. and yeah sears isnt doing so good we closed 120 BIG stores this year, not just the little ones that sell a few appliences and lawn and garden equipement. this last black friday our store only made $750,000 in sales. every other year we have made $1,000,000,000+. im going to stop now before coorprate gets on my case
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by T76s10
and all those sets do have a lifetime waranty as to any screwdrivers, drivers, wrenches, and sockets. keep in mind that its only products marked craftsman only. and yeah sears isnt doing so good we closed 120 BIG stores this year, not just the little ones that sell a few appliences and lawn and garden equipement. this last black friday our store only made $750,000 in sales. every other year we have made $1,000,000,000+. im going to stop now before coorprate gets on my case
One billion?! Or did you mean One MILLION+?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha million. My bad I guess I wasn't counting my zeros
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ve been told....that virtually all the cranks we use (for strokers) are all from china. Even the made in usa ones....in some cases. They all come from the same building.....the made in usa cranks, are finish machined here is all, and they can say made in usa.

I also was told that there is now a small Provence in china called usa.....so they can put made in usa and not be wrong. I never checked, but the guy that told me, deals directly with the chinese in the industry.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I also was told that there is now a small Provence in china called usa.....so they can put made in usa and not be wrong. I never checked, but the guy that told me, deals directly with the chinese in the industry.
I have never heard of that, but there was a usa japan years ago. They stopped making tools in that city probably 20-30 years ago after the government told them that if they were going to export them to the US it had to be clearly marked made in usa japan.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I have to agree we are our own worst enemy....EPA,Clean Air Act,NHTA,Free Trade Agreement...........

Funny how China has none of it to my knowledge...so YES, it's a lot cheaper to make anything since there's no "minimum wage",Illegal Immigrants looking for FREE hand-outs (let alone a whole class of people living their entire life off the Government's tit and teaching their kids to do the same) Just look at the Aunt of Obama...never paid one penny into Social Security, was here illegally....but was getting a check every month and thought she deserves it ?????? WTF ????????

So yes... we screwed ourselves by being PC :sad:
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep buying at Wal-Mart! Like the chinese say...Americans are so stupid. We deserve everything we get.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustJewIt
This really sucks to hear. I was looking to buy my first mechanics tool kit from Craftsman this summer. Now that I know they're going to be made in China, I'd like to try to save for something else such as a Snap On set. As people said though, even some of Snap On tools are made out of country. It's terrible to hear that you can tell the quality change in the Craftsman hand tools because they are being made in China and not in the USA anymore. Now a days, it seems that nothing is made the way it used to be and quality is getting thrown away so companies can make more profit on their products.
Saving up for a craftsman tool set and than deciding to switch to a snapon set is like saving up for a cavailier than switching to c6 corvette. Quite the difference in price. I don't know how often you wrench, but you certainly do not need to get your first starter kit from snapon. I've seen a few people do that though. But hey, you will learn soon enough just as I did, the markup for the basic stuff from the big dogs is not worth it at all.

Welcome to corporate America.

this last black friday our store only made $750,000 in sales. every other year we have made $1,000,000,000+
You better demand a raise, haha. Even so, a million in sales annually is quite a bit if you ask me, but not good enough for greedy corporate executives. Do you know how much it costs to put insurance on a Ferrari? lolz.

Originally Posted by Doug G
I have to agree we are our own worst enemy....EPA,Clean Air Act,NHTA,Free Trade Agreement...........

Funny how China has none of it to my knowledge...so YES, it's a lot cheaper to make anything since there's no "minimum wage",Illegal Immigrants looking for FREE hand-outs (let alone a whole class of people living their entire life off the Government's tit and teaching their kids to do the same) Just look at the Aunt of Obama...never paid one penny into Social Security, was here illegally....but was getting a check every month and thought she deserves it ?????? WTF ????????

Where did you hear all that, from the reliable and truthful media?

Last edited by Bjorn20; 01-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this last black friday our store only made $750,000 in sales. every other year we have made $1,000,000,000+. im going to stop now before coorprate gets on my case
You meant a million, right? Not a billion.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Doug G

Not exactly "WE", our rich company owners.
They lobbied for this crap so they didn't have to give into "our" demands.
Your making a XXXXXXXXXXX dollars a year why can I get XX a hour more.
OK, will just take it offshore since "we" lobbied for it and won. "WE" will make fortunes of the backs of others that have rules that "WE" did in the 1920's and you'll end up poor.
Actually the way China is growing/changing it'll take 1/4 the time the USA did to demand change then the companies will take it elsewhere.

Actually from what I have seen if a US company imports stuff not completely assembled and finish assembly here with cheap help then it can be said MADE IS US!!
City of Industry California is riddled with these import assemblers!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TooManySS's
Not exactly "WE", our rich company owners.
They lobbied for this crap so they didn't have to give into "our" demands.
Your making a XXXXXXXXXXX dollars a year why can I get XX a hour more.
OK, will just take it offshore since "we" lobbied for it and won. "WE" will make fortunes of the backs of others that have rules that "WE" did in the 1920's and you'll end up poor.
Actually the way China is growing/changing it'll take 1/4 the time the USA did to demand change then the companies will take it elsewhere.

Actually from what I have seen if a US company imports stuff not completely assembled and finish assembly here with cheap help then it can be said MADE IS US!!
City of Industry California is riddled with these import assemblers!
Yes it is Exactly "WE". We are the ones that put these politicians in office and "WE" can vote them out!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As much as we want that, and as much as our candidates SAY they want that..

china holds the purse strings of the us..

the only way we can really bring manufacturing back home without pissing off china is to first get our upper hand away from them economically.

Financial interests run washington, we saw that with sopa and pipa.. and the now ACTA that the president recently ratified by circumventing congress.. money talks.. and china has almost all of ours.

It's a sad state of affairs tho.. americans SAY they want made in america goods.. they SAY they won't support chinese goods..

then they get up from the computer after saying it and go to walmart because that misc. item they wanted earlier at the other store was too expensive. (the other one was made in the usa.. walmart's is china.. for the sake of my analogy..)

I'm not pointing my finger either.. I do the same thing. I TRY to buy made in america, but I don't always try THAT hard..

unfortunately, we as a country are suckers for a good deal, even if it's not to our benefit.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1121
Yes it is Exactly "WE". We are the ones that put these politicians in office and "WE" can vote them out!!!

Doesn't matter who get elected.
One party or the other actually because each party has its own rich people whom support it.
Now I would say "WE" if our politicians were doing what the country's system was founded upon was being "OUR" representative, speaking for "OUR" voice and that's the problem. Doesn't matter what "WE THE PEOPLE WANT" its what the rich want and bribe, **** I mean support them for.

I'm in the machine trades industry and while I do shop at Walmart for stuff that should be cheap, it scares me on the metal end of things. Outside the USA and European nations the game of close comes into play and close does not suffice when safety is involved.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wav3form
You meant a million, right? Not a billion.
Haha yeah I'm retarded I know. If we made a billion on that day I damn well better be making atleast $20 an hour. A million is a descent amount to sell in 1 day but for large coorperations that ain't ****. You also have to consider some products are actually being sold for less than we buy them for and our profits on each product are very low on black Friday. And add in commissions for all salesman and hourly wages for everyone working profit can't be too amazing in corporations eyes. But of course, in America we are all about money. We don't live in Bangladesh haha
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just use harbor freight for everything. Ive gone by the point of caring. The harbor freight is just as good as craftsman,snap on,etc. Nowadays
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty sad, I got a stable of craftsman that my late father left me that he bought back in the 70s/80s when he worked as a diesel mechanic, those ratchets/wrenches/sockets are nearly 40 years old now and still work great granted most of it is standard, I buy nothing but snap on now.

As far as the moving things overseas goes its sad that it is more cost effective to mine the iron here ship it to china build the said item and ship the said item back to the US, all the while keeping the cargo ships running most are gas turbine engines, I know a lot about this as I am currently active duty NAVY it costs a ton of money in fuel alone just to run these things. The government needs to do two things.

1. Impose a Import tax, we are one of the few countries that doesn't have one, to hell with NAFTA, make it enough to where its not cost effective to build overseas, if the companies raise the price raise of goods then raise the tax, the companies will get the point. They wont last without the #1 consumer of goods in the world buying.

2. Reduce corporate taxes, you can make up for the deficit with the import tax, that will make it even more desirable to have the stuff built here, enough said.

It would probably be twenty years of hard times but companies will come back to the USA because it would be more cost effective, Once that happens we as a county will export more, therefore more export tax revenue, More Americans will have jobs therefore more Income tax and more money spent to tax, Then and only then will we be able to start to pay back the deficit and that wont be finished until are grandchildren are old at this point.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just bought a washing machine, dryer, new windows for the entire house, couple pairs of channel locks, etc. All of them are made in the USA. There are still a handful of everyday products being manufactured and sold in our country. It's YOUR responsibility to seek out these products and support them.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
1. Impose a Import tax, we are one of the few countries that doesn't have one, to hell with NAFTA, make it enough to where its not cost effective to build overseas, if the companies raise the price raise of goods then raise the tax, the companies will get the point. They wont last without the #1 consumer of goods in the world buying.

2. Reduce corporate taxes, you can make up for the deficit with the import tax, that will make it even more desirable to have the stuff built here, enough said.

It would probably be twenty years of hard times but companies will come back to the USA because it would be more cost effective, Once that happens we as a county will export more, therefore more export tax revenue, More Americans will have jobs therefore more Income tax and more money spent to tax, Then and only then will we be able to start to pay back the deficit and that wont be finished until are grandchildren are old at this point.
Import tax = tariff = duty - we have them... plenty of them. We don't export and that's the problem. Since we import mostly everything these days, how are we going to survive the catastrophic depression and unemployment that results from the trade war that ensues from us hiking tariffs? You'd have to get government involved to subsidize economic programs (not unlike those communist bailouts everyone hates) in order to put people back to work. <--- That sound like anything familiar? Two things contributed to companies sending the work overseas: increased labor costs and diminishing profits. The two are linked but inflation cannot be controlled therefore this was an inevitability i.e. it is a vicious circle. Eventually this happens even on a global scale. At *some* point there is no other country that can do it for cheap[er]. E.g. 10 years ago off shoring to India became very popular, but 10 years later that has diminished because India is becoming more expensive so now places like Vietnam, China, Russia, and Ukraine are the 'hot' places to go.

Instant reduction in corporate taxes *always* results in corporations provisioning that surplus into dividends. You need to provide companies with long term incentives to grow their business. They hire when they need more people to do more work if their business grows and that should be the goal.

Deficit != debt. Budget deficits contribute to our national debt which keeps rising, but you meant debt there, not deficit. In other words this year's deficit is the amount of shortfall in the budget. Towards the end of the Clinton administration it was a surplus, but the national debt was still there.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats sad, I have always supported craftsman hand tools. I like snap on and SK also, but i've always had good luck with sears. I did purchase a metric tap and die set recently and saw they were made in china.

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese