Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tig welding course or info

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tig welding course or info

A buddy of mine and myself are interested in learning the basics for tig welding. Both of us can mig and stick weld decently, but know nothing about tig welding. We have access to a miller tig welder, however i dont know the model. Is there something online to read to get the basic fundamentals? Anyone know of a place in the NY area that offers strictly a tig welding course? Any suggestions will be considered and appreciated.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Post up if you run across anything.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you thought about a good tutorial DVD, TIG Welding Fundamentals with David Bird is a good one, it's $39 at Amazon.com. You and your buddy can split the cost making it cheap for both of you, less than the cost of beer and pizza.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

find a friend that knows how... it sucks teaching yourself
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike52
Have you thought about a good tutorial DVD, TIG Welding Fundamentals with David Bird is a good one, it's $39 at Amazon.com. You and your buddy can split the cost making it cheap for both of you, less than the cost of beer and pizza.
Thanks ill have to check that out!

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
find a friend that knows how... it sucks teaching yourself
lol I wish that was an option but i have no friends that know how. I know how much teaching yourself sucks. I kinda taught myself what little i know about mig, and its been a long bumpy road so far and mig is easy compared to tig...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It might suck teaching yourself but at the bare minimum the DVD will provide some guidance and in the end, it all boils down to practice, practice, practice and no one else can do that but YOU.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mig=easy, tig=complicated lol
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have a certificate from a local community college .....we did TIG in class......but without practice you lose it pretty quick.....i weld tested for a TIG job.....i was so rusty i could not pass.....but since Fluxcore has been my bread n butter i could run circles around that TIG guy on a flux job.....it all about practice
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Teching In

Check out www.WeldingTipsandTricks.com, www.thewelderslens.com, both have tons of useful videos and information. Check also with alot of your local colleges and trade/vocational schools. If you start getting into it and really want to learn more I have heard the both the beginner and Advanced Motorsports programs at Lincoln Electric are very informative.

kyle
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

check local community colleges...I took a non-credit course on fundamentals of mig and tig at mine...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a welding school here. Was a two year class, very informative on all phases of welding. It does help knowing all phases and types of welding as you go thru life. Someitmes, TIG isn't the only answer to a weld problem.
Once I graduated, I started at a shop welding aerospace hardware and plastic mold injetion fixtures. I learned even more doing that for years.
Now a days, I am working for a missile defense agency, not welding for work, just for my own stuff and friends.
The best way to get good at it is to practice, practice, practice. If you go a while without welding you will lose "you hand" at it. Granted it will come back, but it's always better to stay proficient at it.
Good luck, try a community college if that is an option.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I went to class and it didnt help, the guy would check in everynow and then, and just say I was doing fine. I ended just grabbing some scrap chromoly and notching it, then just go at it every afternoon. I brought the pieces i did to a local chassis guy and he would give me a few tips. Its all about seat time and patience with TIG.

o yea, TIG is much easier than MIG in my mind, theres no where near the control with the MIG.

What machine do you have?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

me? I have a 115v mig from Northern Tool. It got great reviews and so far its done great by me.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Check out your local BOCES for night courses
Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

http://www.pnwboces.org/index.aspx
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnywhale
Check out your local BOCES for night courses
Originally Posted by johnnywhale
Thanks for the link man. Unfortunately me and said friend already took the welding course there. They have one oxyacetalene and on mig/stick. We didnt take the oxy one, but we did take the mig/stick. While very informative it was mostly stick welding. We didnt do any tig at all, and as of right now they dont offer any tig courses from what i see.

I did order the DVD above...I will let everyone know how it is when i get it.

Also we messed around with my buddies syncrowave the other day...Its not as hard as I thought it would be. Its definiately harder than mig in a lot of ways, but also somewhat easier, at least for me because you could take your time more so than mig which i like. At this point i think the biggest problem we had was dialing in the machine and finding the correct tip and filler rod without any guidance. Hopefully the DVD will shed some light.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike52
I watched this DVD the other day. Very informative, worth every penny. My buddy and I practiced over the weekend after watching the DVD and we did great. Just going in blind the first time we werent sure what to put all the settings on and what not. This time we were worlds ahead of our first time. We welded some mild steel, which was easy once I got the hang of everything. We also welded some stainless, which didnt come out as pretty as I thought it should have. So I am not sure if we were doing something wrong or whatever. Oh well..more practice practice practice.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ckworldwide.com/technical_specs.pdf

this may help. just remember, you're on the internet! there is tons of info out there, you've just gotta find it.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, miller has a fantastic tig welding handbook available for free online. 84ish pages in PDF form. the AWS is a great source of info too.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Check out your local welding supply store. I went in for new mig gloves,started talking to the counter guy and turns out he is a welding inspector/teacher. He told me he would teach me TIG for $20/hr his place or mine.

Quick Reply: Tig welding course or info