Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Interested in buying an air compressor for air tools - how big/powerful is necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, bigger is better! Dont recall exact size or hp of our compressor but i dont think we have ever had to wait on it to build pressure.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want kick ***, check these guys out:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the biggest compressor you can afford, it will last longer because it works less.

If you run a die grinder, body saw or the like a small compressor will **** you off waiting and waiting.

I bought a 7 hp 60 gallon, max psi 135 and love it. It's a Campbell Hausfeld bought at Harbor Freight years ago.

The ones at Lowe's "look" good.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy Direct Drive. Air compressors are easy to upgrade if you ever want to. Direct Drive are noisy as hell & can't do too many upgrades if you ever wanted to. Always buy belt drive if you ever are inbetween the 2 & can't make a decision. Remember having a big tank doesn't always mean you'll be able to do the job in one sitting. Might as well having something that can quickly pack in the air on a big tank. Moral of the story..Big Tank = Big Compressor (High CFM) I can't recall exactly what SCFM to look for in a belt drive compressor for automotive air tools except my father has been an Air Compressor Mechanic for god knows how many years. I will ask him if you want once I get home tonight from work.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krom
If you want kick ***, check these guys out:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm
Do not buy a eaton, they are POS. Have really gone down hill. Do your research, lots of topics on their motors over at hotrodders.com forum.

If you really want to get something that will last, get a Quincy and be done.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Buy the biggest compressor you can afford, it will last longer because it works less.

If you run a die grinder, body saw or the like a small compressor will **** you off waiting and waiting.

I bought a 7 hp 60 gallon, max psi 135 and love it. It's a Campbell Hausfeld bought at Harbor Freight years ago.

The ones at Lowe's "look" good.
I wouldn't really say the biggest. 60 gallon would be just fine, just make sure it has a quality motor and it will run just fine. Tank size is not a MAJOR factor, but its is nice to be at the minimum of 60.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying an air compressor for air tools - how big/powerful is necessary?