Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Interested in buying an air compressor for air tools - how big/powerful is necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in buying an air compressor for air tools - how big/powerful is necessary?

Hey guys, a buddy and I are thinking about going in on an air compressor together. We both own F-bodies and having air tools would make our projects a lot easier. We would like to power your usual stuff - air ratchet, impact gun and cutting tool.

We've done some looking at Northern Tool and your other big name discount tool places. I have looked at the CFM/Psi ratings on the tools and compressors. What I'm trying to determine is what exactly is necessary? For the occasional big DIY LS1 job (shocks/headers/clutch/misc suspension), how big/bad is necessary? What do those of you that have air tools use as your compressor?

I appreciate the help in advance.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

It really depends on what tools you are using and how long you be using them. You can get away with a smaller roll around but you might spend some time waiting for it to catch up depending on the job. If it doesn't have to be portable get the biggest one your budget can afford.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a couple of direct drive compressors used for $100 each and combined them to do stuff like die grinding and sand blasting.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

just an impact - ratchet-drill-- you can get away with a 20 gallon tank 1 or 2 hp

if you run a die grinder you need 5hp and 60 gallon or larger

if you run any body work tools then its a 2 stage 5 hp + and 80 gallon tank

sandblasting>> at home i have the 2 stage 175psi 80 gallon-real 5hp and can bleed that down within 3 minutes.. you could only sandblast for 10 seconds with a 2hp..

at work we have a home depot type 5hp "cheater" theyre not really 5 hp.. 230v.. single phase-- it will run most impacts- die grinder for a minute - 7" sander for same minute before you have to wait for air again
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont mean to hi jack....

i am going to buy a compressor also. plan to use a cutting tool, impact, and a paint gun.

wont be doing anything crazy and need to keep budget very very low due to the fact im buying lots and lots of other tools.... also just bought a house

how bad would it be with a 2.5 hp 25 gal ...?? its a vertical model if it matters any.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt recommend anything smaller than a 60 gal 5 hp single stage.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I recently bought a Husky 60 gallon from HD. I've been pleased with it so far. I thought it was one of the better deals per price.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Get a IR. I don't think anything under 11-12 CFM @90PSI is worth buying. JMO
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Paint guns and blasters use a lot of air - an 80 gallon will have a hard time keeping up. But for other uses - die grinders, impact guns, sanders, you can get away with smaller compressors.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

I have one of the wheelbarrow style gas powered compressors and it does well. For an average shop a 5hp 60 gallon compressor should be fine. I would definately reccomend not getting a powertrain brand compressor.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a campbell hausfeld 20 gal upright oilless. It works for air ratchets and impacts, some occasional air saw, 3" cut off, die grinding etc. But it's LOUD, and it's frequently refilling. I find that I tend to use the impact a lot, the air ratchets not so much. I can't complain to terribly much cause I got it for free.
If I were to buy one now I would get two stage, cast iron and oiled. That will cut down the noise massively. I don't think I would do less than 40 gal and bigger would be better. Personally my garage is small and I think I would be pushing it to have a 60 gal. Your situation may be different.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Slomaro, you won't be able to use the cutter very well, you will be able to use it but it will take forever. I have a craftmans 33 gal with 2 1/2 hp direct drive and it wouldn't run the impact that came with it but I bought a bigger aircat 1200 impact that has 1200 rev lbs of torque and it works great. I used my compressor at my house to port my maf and it took 6 hours compared to my work it took me 2 hours.

I am going to try the combining my compressor with another one like it and see how that works.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i know i would be waiting for it to catch up all the time with body type tools. But im only going to spend so much and have something so big. So i guess il just have to work with it.

I really want a 2 stage, that should help out a ton, correct??
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Teching In

If you are trying for the cheap side then I would get the biggest tank you can get. I not sure about a 2 stage or not, but the bigger the tank the more air you have to work with.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

What I did was buy a compressor that had a burned up lung & threw on a harbor freight for light $175 (double lung). I think the whole package was less than $400 for everything & i'm able to run just about anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the highest SCFM tool your going to be using and then get a compressor that exceeds that. Grinders and impact guns will use a ton of air but a good HVLP paint gun will make a grinder/impact gun look like a little bitch with consumption.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I have to say is look at it as a huge investment. Spend a good amount of money and buy a good air compressor or cheap out a bit and end up buying a better one later one. I'm saying this because it's what I did. Bought a small roll around one worked good for small stuff. Came on all the time while working and lost air pressure a lot. A year later I got a nice big *** compressor and love it! No more waiting to air and I can get my work done a lot faster without doing this...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Don't want to hijack here but tank volume and psi capacity mean nothing when dealing with air tools. You want to look at CFM. And if you are dealing with tools like air impact I would advice 6-7 CFM minimum. Otherwise you will have to upgrade soon.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Don't want to hijack here but tank volume and psi capacity mean nothing when dealing with air tools. You want to look at CFM. And if you are dealing with tools like air impact I would advice 6-7 CFM minimum. Otherwise you will have to upgrade soon.
True, CFM matters, but cfm is regulated by hose size going to your tools. Also, CFM means how quickly you drain the tank before it kicks back on.

I have a Sears proffesional 60 gallon, 2 stage (175psi) compressor that I plumbed into the garage using 3/4" PEX. I can run any tool without having issues of having to wait for it to fill back up. The compressor kicks on at 150 and off at 175. Even using a cutoff wheel or grinder non-stop, the compressor is able to refill and turn off.

So tank size might not be critical, but unless you're doing this for a living, having the tank capacity means more time without having the compressor running.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
True, CFM matters, but cfm is regulated by hose size going to your tools. Also, CFM means how quickly you drain the tank before it kicks back on.

I have a Sears proffesional 60 gallon, 2 stage (175psi) compressor that I plumbed into the garage using 3/4" PEX. I can run any tool without having issues of having to wait for it to fill back up. The compressor kicks on at 150 and off at 175. Even using a cutoff wheel or grinder non-stop, the compressor is able to refill and turn off.

So tank size might not be critical, but unless you're doing this for a living, having the tank capacity means more time without having the compressor running.
I agree. I mis-spoke saying that they don't matter. Rather that they don't matter to the home user as they will not use the air enough to drain the tank with a single tool unless they were using a continual air cutoff tool ect or ran a shop. I find a 10 gal tank plenty for home use. Mine is only 5.7 max CFM though I wish for a bit more at times.

Quick Reply: Interested in buying an air compressor for air tools - how big/powerful is necessary?